CASUAL concealment options?

This is a discussion on CASUAL concealment options? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may be wrong. I will check and edit if I am... In Fl pocket holsters are not allowed. My instructor showed us one it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CASUAL concealment options?

I may be wrong. I will check and edit if I am...
    In Fl pocket holsters are not allowed.
    My instructor showed us one it was something like "Oh you want my wallet? OK let me get it for you.Here it Isn't Bang Bang." He said we can't use that type.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    My instructor showed us one it was something like "Oh you want my wallet? OK let me get it for you.Here it Isn't Bang Bang." He said we can't use that type.
    What the heck is your instructor talking about?

Pocket holstered P32, P3AT or J-frame gun is ideal deep concealment type of gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

There Instructor is talking about Wallet style pocket holster, Not regular Pockert style. I have been stopped b y my local Leo's while
    carrying a S&W 638 in a Mika Pocket Holster and have never had a problem.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sounds Like Pure Hokum To Me

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    There Instructor is talking about Wallet style pocket holster, Not regular Pockert style. I have been stopped b y my local Leo's while
    carrying a S&W 638 in a Mika Pocket Holster and have never had a problem.
    I fail to understand any difference between a "regular style pocket holster" and a "wallet style pocket holster" that would amount to a hill of beans (legality-wise) and it distinctly sounds like the so-called "Instructor" is full of unvarnished hokum.

I'd be very interested in hearing exactly what provision of Florida Statute 790 the Instructor or anyone else can cite which lends one iota of legal credence to the indicated notions that for a FL Concealed Weapon Or Firearm Licensee, "in FL pocket holsters are not allowed" or that, amongst pocket holsters, "we can't use that [wallet] type".

In sum, substance and pertinent part, the law (paraphrased) states the handgun must be carried in a concealed fashion. The handgun is concealed against open, plain sight and view whether it is carried naked and unholstered inside a pocket, within a pocket in a pocket holster, or within a pocket in a wallet-style pocket holster.

As such, in any of those three described pocketed carry modes, the firearm is adequately and legally concealed unless and until it is withdrawn from the pocket and presented, which is a crime itself unless there is some legal justification for what would otherwise be termed as brandishing, menacing, unlawful display of a firearm or, technically, an assault in & of itself.

Neither Chapter 790 nor any other Florida Statute that I know of specifically addresses or criminalizes possessive handgun carry by virtue of the type of concealment holster utilized, in the context as described by others in this thread.

If I've "missed something" here, I'd invite and welcome anybody clarifying any opposing opinion or belief with supportable, factual data that would further enhance my own awareness and education.

Otherwise, I'd have to reassert MHO that the "Instructor's" assertion, if actually presented as described and attributed to him, is seemingly pure hokum of his or her own design for their own mysterious cause or reasoning, lacking any legal or statutory merit.

Can anyone comment further on this ? I'm not trying to flame or be contentious here, at all. It's just that the stated advices seem so far off the wall i couldn't help but to wonder, take issue and pose the question . . .

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I don't live in Florida & certainly don't know the carry laws there, other than I can carry there.

Is there anything in the law that prohibits being able to fire the weapon while still holstered?

That's the only thing I could think of. When I read the post, I was differentiating pocket carry from wallet carry, in that the wallet may have a cut-out in it from which you can fire the weapon. You know, here's my wallet, as you point the barrel end at him & fire while it's still in the wallet/holster.

Just a guess.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I'll say this as a "gun toter" not a holster maker. Get a better IWB holster. Get something that's built for comfort not just to hold the gun. Glocks are big, but in the right rig, you'll be able to carry it all day long.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    What I believe the instructor may be eluding to is the BATFE ruling in 1998 regarding a true wallet holster. Utilizing such a holster requires registration of it (~$200). To be classified as a true wallet holster, there's a two-prong test - one, it must actually look like (or closely resemble) a wallet; AND two, you must be able to fire the gun while it's still encased in the wallet/holster.

The term, "wallet holster," as it's often used today has evolved from people describing what really is just a back pocket holster that presents a squared-shape outline. These fall outside the definition provided by the BATFE and are perfectly legal to possess/use.

I will suggest you carry both when you can and here is how.

The P3AT in a pocket holster in the left front or left rear pocket when you are carrying both. When you only have the P3AT then carry in the right front or back pocket (assuming your right handed). The Glock in a "good" IWB holster at the 3 to 4 o'clock position would be ideal.

My father in law only carries a P3AT in a cross draw position (10:30) an it works for him. I carry my P32 in the left side and primary (a S&W 6946 @G19 sized gun) in an IWB or OWB holster on the right side.

Hope this helps.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links