CASUAL concealment options?

This is a discussion on CASUAL concealment options? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a 20-year CCW permit holder in North Dakota, I have rarely found it even remotely tempting to carry a concealed firearm on my person ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CASUAL concealment options?

CASUAL concealment options?

As a 20-year CCW permit holder in North Dakota, I have rarely found it even remotely tempting to carry a concealed firearm on my person in the nation's safest state; in fact, only after my 'sponsoring' LEO provided encouragement did I begin to carry a handgun in my vehicle (now locked every time I step out of it, even to pay for my gas at a service station).

So, counting on two hands the number of times I've carried a concealed handgun in this region, I am trying to decide a couple of things regarding holsters and weapons.

I currently have two weapons in my vehicle; a 10mm G20 Glock with two spare 15-rd magazines and a Kel-Tec 3AT with a pocket holster and one spare 6-round magazines. The Glock is loaded with 180gr Gold Dot Hollow Points from Double Tap Ammo (also my main choice for whitetail deer --- the primary use for the Glock), and the Kel-Tec is loaded with Silver Tips. The Kel-Tec is a first generation gun that has been back to the factory for a new slide and polish job on the feed ramp.

My dilemma is this: about a month ago my wife and I flew to Florida for a week's vacation. Having reciprocity with my ND permit, I packed a G19 Glock with an Uncle Mike's IWB holster and the Kel-Tec with the pocket holster ... one spare mag for each. I carried the G19 in an abdomen position every day we left the hotel and found it VERY uncomfortable - digging into the top of my right thigh and the underside of my belly. When we got back to North Dakota I borrowed a friend's G26 and tried the same IWB holster at about 1 o'clock. After wearing that for a couple days around the house and out to the grocery store, etc., it seemed just as uncomfortable.

So, should I keep the Kel-Tec and give up trying to wear a G19 or G23 (my other carry weapon and my IPSC competition gun - the G19 will be used for IDPA this summer) or should I sell the Kel-Tec and get one of the Kahr PM9 models? Would the Kahr be more comfortable than the G26 and should I pick up one of the Kydex holsters like a FIST or a DeSantis or a BearClaw for adbomen carry? I have every intention of dropping about 10-15 pounds of winter weight, so maybe that will help or should I try to carry IWB with one of the Kydex holsters at 4 o'clock, which might be easier with less pudge around the middle?

After reading the Kahr reviews, it seems like this gun should be as reliable as Glocks after a couple hundred rounds, but I question whether or not it will carry well with a pocket holster (Uncle Mike's or DeSantis).

I would like to make a decision prior to leaving the vehicle if I want to carry a gun, and then be able to conceal it without taking off my belt or making major adjustments in my clothing. Being able to tuck a shirt would be a nice option, especially in the warmer months, but I could probably go tails out or wear a sweater, sweatshirt or sports coat or jacket 90 % of the time.

My dimensions are 6-feet tall and about 225 pounds now.

As of tonight I am thinking seriously of selling the Kel-Tec and either getting the Kahr or a second generation KT .380. If I could comfortably carry the G23 or G19 at 1 o'clock or 4 o'clock that would also be a nice option to have as long as the holster can be mounted easily while sitting down in a vehicle and taken off in the same position.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

2. Remove Ads

Have you tried carrying it closer to 3:00? I find that's the most comfortable position, particularly for those of us suffering from Dunlop's disease (where my belly has done lopped over my belt).

Lead Moderator
    try some different postions and then decide. Alot for me depends on what gun I am carrying. My HK USP works well in a OWB , while my 1911 Champ works well with a IWB. Both are carried srong side about 8:30 position. Paddle holsters are great for fast on off, but a cover garment is needed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I had a tough time carrying appendix too. I kept moving it around & found my "sweet spot" at about 12:30, just to the right of my zipper (I'm obviously right handed when I shoot). I usually carry my PM9, but have also carried my Glock 26 & 36. The 36 is about the same size as the 19, but with a thinner grip. When I sit down, especially while driving, I pull the grip outward alittle, causing the barrel to ride on the inside of my thigh slightly. When I carry appendix, I use a straight drop holster (I recommend Nate's new IWB from UBG holsters).

Otherwise, you can try it strong side, anywhere from 3:00 to about 5:00. You have to experiment. It's extremely comfortable carrying that way, but I worry about printing through my shirt while bending over & it's slower than appendix carry. Also, I've found that I like alot of cant (15-20 deg.), so that I can draw while seated by leaning forward.

Losing weight will help too, especially for appendix carry. That doesn't mean you have to lose the weight, but it does help for comfort & concealment, not to mention your overall health...
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Thanks for the responses so far. I can see weight reduction would be helpful. Is it any easier to mount a Kydex IWB without hanging up on the top of the pants? That's been a problem with the Uncle Mike's, the metal clip makes it hard to slide down over the inside of my pants putting it on AND taking it off.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I dont know what style of Uncle Mikes that you have but it might be a holster issue. When I used an UM in the pants holster it did nothing to help conceal the weapon. They're just not real high quality holsters. However when using a good quality holster it does help. Some friends of mine who have a lil extra on the spare tire action, did find that moving the weapon into a good quality ITP leather holster around the 3:00 or 3:30 position (if your right handed) does help a little.

Hope that helps.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I usually end up with my Keltec in a pocket holster most times. For IWB, I carry around the 3:30 4 o'clock position and find it comfortable.I use an Andrews McDaniel II IWB holster and carry a Kahr K 40. It snaps off easy, but putting back into position can be a bit of chore. Not tried appendix carry. IN the car, my gun rides in a holster by the driver 's seat. For my Glocks G19, 23 & 27 I've got an OWB Defender by KD Holsters. Easy off and bit easier back on. I've got a Brommeland Max Con on order.
    Last edited by sass20485; February 26th, 2007 at 10:01 PM.

You can afford to buy a couple of holsters when you lose weight with the money you save from that extra chow. You have to experiement with things, and unfortunately, what works for one may not work for the other. Good luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

They're Going To Jump On Me Now...

I live in FL...finding comfort is not difficult.

For the P-3AT (I have one.) a Fist kydex pocket holster will make the gun disappear into your thigh...it has a thumb retrieval...see site at Holster Sources above...

For EDC I usually carry my Kimber Ultra at 3:30, and with a loose shirt, it rides quietly along in my Fist IWB #1A/cant.

For a real comfort act (here's where others might disagree) I will take my Glock-36 in a Fist IWB/SOB...I mean...I don't even know the weapon is there. I keep two holsters, the Fist IWB/SOB on my person and in use out of the car...along with a Fist IWB #1A/cant in the car. Therefore the gun is easy to grasp in the car (between the seat and console). With a loose open shirt or vest, the SOB retrieval is quick enough for my needs. With both holsters available, I can switch to strong side IWB quickly if I choose that option. SOB is so comfortable that I can also CCW my G36 on my Harley that has a backrest...no difficulty...very comfortable.

Please, I don't want to get into SOB...what about your spine... ...I don't buy into that arguement...if it's comfortable and it works, that's all I care about. And...I know quite a few other Southern gentlemen who have agreed with this Yankee that SOB carry works just fine!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am a big fan of pocket carry at this point and do it with an MK9 Elite with either a PCS holster or DeSantis Nemesis

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=20378

I would probably recommend a Kahr PM9 in pocket carry for the lighter weight. I'm ok with the MK9 but may consider a PM9 in the future.

You seem to like/prefer abdomen carry so an HBE NY Pro for deep conceal at 1'oclock.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=20379

I was able to do it with the P239 but was on the edge of comfort. I'm thinking now that it if I didn't pocket carry the Kahr that a HBE NY Pro for the Kahr at 1 o'clock would work out much better than the Sig because of the shorter length and less width. Would even consider a HBE DC Special for it at 3:30-4 o'clock. The thinner profile I believe makes a world difference in discreet carry and gives you more options to carry in whatever position you'd like.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well....Id get rid of the appendix carry altogethor and just find a nice holster IWB/or/OWB for the Glock that you like and carry it @ 4.00.
    The Kahr or Keltec is a great BUG...for pocket carry. From there..just see what works the best for you.
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Thanks to all. As of now, I'm leaning towards selling my First Gen KT 380 and picking up a second generation and then sticking with the Uncle Mikes pocket holster. I kknow I'll have to burn through a couple hundred rounds for break-in, but most of the reviews at KTOG say the second generation is much more relialbe.

As I drop a few pounds, I'll think seriously about a Bear Claw tuckable or Desantis for 3:30 or 4 o'clock wear with the G23. Around here, and in my current frame of mind, when I put the G23 on, then I'm wandering into tough turf and it will be a last-ditch move. Basically, I try to stay out of situations where violent people like to hang out and indulge in alcohol or drugs (which seems to play a role in most of these situtations).

I carry my Glock 26 in a Desantis Pocket holster, (Front Pocket) everyday. I have not found anything else as comfortable. I had a Kahr pm9 and had slide problems, but the Kahr carries easier than Glock 26. IMO, the G26 is a superior gun. I would go with the Kahr over the Kel-Tec.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Today I made the decision after not finding the Kahr of my dreams for a reasonable price (to me) without night sights. I purchased a second generation KT .380 and went out to a sewage lagoon dike and burned through about 150 rounds. Not without problems, but I didn't clean or lube the KT before shooting it ... right out of the box. I cleaned it thoroughly tonight and will have a gunsmith friend of mine do a fluff and buff before the range again. Meanwhile, I'll plan to maybe get an ankle holster for the Kel-Tec as another option and a IWB Kydex holster for the Glocks at about 4 o'clock. When the snow and ice disappears and I can start getting my roadwork done, the pounds should come off pretty nicely. The Kel-Tec is just too tempting due to its weight and lack of bulk. Even with the UM pocket holster I can carry it many ways, including my waist band at 1 o'clock.

Thanks for all the input.

The 9mm Kahr's are great for pocket carry. I have a CW9 that fits very well in an inexpensive #4 Uncle Mike's pocket holster. My Kahr has been absolutely reliable for me over about 800 rounds and 6 months of carry and weekend practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links