Feedback on a Don Hume 715 - SOOT IWB

This is a discussion on Feedback on a Don Hume 715 - SOOT IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are times I want to carry my J frame Airweight IWB, (normally I pocket carry it), but I don't want to spend a lot; ...

Thread: Feedback on a Don Hume 715 - SOOT IWB

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Feedback on a Don Hume 715 - SOOT IWB

There are times I want to carry my J frame Airweight IWB, (normally I pocket carry it), but I don't want to spend a lot; I came across this holster on Gunner's Alley and thought it looked like it would be thin (that would be good) and I like that it snaps on. The price is outstanding but I do believe you normally get what you pay for. So do any of you have this holster? If you've used it for a while can you tell me how thick/thin it is and how well you think it would work with a little J frame? Would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks and God Bless
    Gideon
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

This is a good basic IWB holster that I also use for my SW 638. Cant go wrong with it.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Gideon, You can't go wrong with any Don Hume product. I have his 721 on my left side right now.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

I am wanting to order the 721OT for my P232, Don Hume's are such a good value for the money it is hard to find them in stock anywhere.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I had one for a while for my 342 snubby and it was a good holster. Then I decided that I did not need a IWB for a snubby and switched to a Don Hume JIT Slide. Don Hume makes a decent product at a reasonable price.

However, I did try a JIT for a Glock 29 and the holster was really not sturdy enough for the larger, heavier gun.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Actually the Hume 715 isnt a bad little holster, especially for the money..just make sure you break it in ALOT! They are notoriously tight....
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Eric, have you ever considered making a holster for the J frame? I always imagined that the perfect holster for it would be somewhat like Andrews Custom Leather's "MacDaniel" holster only quite thin. That way you could set the cant on it, and with the off set single belt loop you'd have very little between the gun and the belt. I tried to find something like that but couldn't. The ones I did find seemed like very thick leather which you might need for a full size 1911 but not for a lightweight like my airweight S&W.

I know most people pocket carry them but I really like it IWB. Anywas, take a look at the MacDaniel and let me/us know if you could make something like that. You can PM me if you'd like

Thanks and God Bless
    Gideon

I purchased a 715 from Gunner's Alley for use with my Glock 27,while I wait for my Max-Con V. I wore it once and my butt heavy Glock kept summersaulting over my belt. It may work just fine with a J Frame - but it screams "no heavy butts please"- Feel free to fill in your own jokes. I have a Don Hume 721from Gunner's Alley and it is a fine holster - after I broke it in.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Blodgett View Post
    I purchased a 715 from Gunner's Alley for use with my Glock 27,while I wait for my Max-Con V. I wore it once and my butt heavy Glock kept summersaulting over my belt. It may work just fine with a J Frame - but it screams "no heavy butts please"- Feel free to fill in your own jokes. I have a Don Hume 721from Gunner's Alley and it is a fine holster - after I broke it in.
    Just ordered a 721 Open Top from Don Hume, it should be here later today. How do you like it and what was your break in procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    Just ordered a 721 Open Top from Don Hume, it should be here later today. How do you like it and what was your break in procedure?
    It is a great holster for the $. Holds the gun close and secure I wrapped my Glock27 in several layers of wax paper and let it sit overnight. This process was repeated several times each time adding an additional layer of wax paper. I finally ended up getting a bottle of Leather lightning from Mitch Rosen
    Gunleather, abt $12.00. That worked.You may do ok with just the wax paper. Good luck.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Gideon,
    Well...Im familiar with the holster you refer to. Ill shoot you a PM.
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

VIP Member
    The 715 was my default holster for years. I would get a gun, call a holster maker and call Humme. The 715 would arrive in a couple of days and would carry the gun until the other holster came in.

Since I am buying UBG leather now, it isn't an issue. But, as his lead time increases, I will resume the practice.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Links