Winter carry options

This is a discussion on Winter carry options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all the snow and cold we've had this winter, I've been thinking more and more about winter carry options. It seems to me an ...

Thread: Winter carry options

Winter carry options

With all the snow and cold we've had this winter, I've been thinking more and more about winter carry options. It seems to me an IWB holster would take too long to access outside in bitter cold weather, being under layers of clothes and/or a heavy winter coat over the top of it. At the same time, I'd not go the shoulder holster route because I wouldn't want something that requires I leave on my coat etc in a restaurant or something.
    The only decent alternative I see are Coronado leather bomber jackets, with the built in holster. I'd only need to unzip the coat to get to the gun if needed. What other ideas do y'all have about carrying in winter and being able to access the weapon quickly if needed?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    cover layer with typically OWB holster. Fleece or a sweatshirt works well, as does a untucked shirt. also my winter gun is a HK USP (enlarged trigger guard opening) for ease of shooting with gloves on. N. MI gets cold in the winter.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Well - I carry OWB all year (EDC Sig 226) - but in winter the OWB is a total cinch! Mind you, I do almost always have cover garments open at front, or if real cold then maybe a zipper or button or two. I ensure there is a lower layer of light weight for indoors when I have shed outer stuff.

I have always managed to have cover garments set up for fast gun access - even when severe cold. It is my ideal method. One addition tho if need be - is snub in pocket of outer jacket/coat - which allows for a grip and if really needed - a shot thru the pocket!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks for the info. Well, I don't have any funds to add a second weapon to the mix, so it's going to be a Glock 19 full time, winter and summer. One OWB holster I've found that I really want to try out is the FIST Kydex High Ride holster. I have an RM low rider IWB holster on order, I may add the FIST to my list too. I like it because it doesn't have the barrel below the belt too far. Although I wear a shirt a size larger with the tail out, I would be concerned about the barrel tip showing beneath it with a lower sitting OWB holster.

Which OWB holsters do you guys use?

I still carry IWB most the time depend what im doing its just as fast as in summer if you pratice a lot

Other times a OWB works fine just got a new holster to try out in owb so we shall see ask me next winter

Assistant Administrator
    My OWB is a K&D Eagle Defender - you'll find it on http://www.kdholsters.com/

It sits high enough for me and cant is ideal, for me. I do tho suggest always - whatever the cover garment is - it should be long - longer even than otherwise chosen for normal use - simply to add that extra cover which takes care of any rig lower portion showing.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Bianchi Paddlelok?

I'm looking at the Bianchi paddlelok too, as I've had paddle holsters in the past and found them very comfortable. I just don't know how close to the body this one would hold.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...ry_id%3D304%26

Lead Moderator
    The paddleloc my buddy has seems to hold tight to the body, as does my Serpa kydex rig.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Is the Paddlelok safe for one in the chamber on Glocks?

Is that lock system safe for carrying with one in the chamber, or could that lok (since it works on the trigger guard) cause an accidental discharge?
    Thanks

I Agree With Bud...

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    I still carry IWB most the time depend what im doing its just as fast as in summer if you pratice a lot

Other times a OWB works fine just got a new holster to try out in owb so we shall see ask me next winter
    IWB can be fast enough...
    One thing I don't like is using a coat or vest (inside) pocket. The 5.11 vest has hidden pockets for a firearm, but it is not pratical for drawing a weapon...the same for an inside pocket of a coat.

As with any carry or draw...it's what works for the individual (with practice), of course.

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
    Is that lock system safe for carrying with one in the chamber, or could that lok (since it works on the trigger guard) cause an accidental discharge?
    Thanks
    the loc systems all seem to capture the edge of the trigger guard. i don't think any maker designs a loc that will possibly AD.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks

I didn't think so either, but since some seem to be hung up on carrying Glocks without one in the chamber, I wanted to check. I think I'm going to try the Paddlelok out, or the belt version.

Links