BUG same as Primary?

BUG same as Primary?

This is a discussion on BUG same as Primary? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a newbie to the world of concealed carry issues, I am curious if anyone uses the exact same weapon for their primary carry as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUG same as Primary?

BUG same as Primary?

As a newbie to the world of concealed carry issues, I am curious if anyone uses the exact same weapon for their primary carry as their BUG.
    My thinking is, you would have only one type of gun to become familiar and proficient with, only one type of ammo to stock, and spare magazines on your belt would fit either.
    Is this a good idea? Bad idea? and Why?
    "Luck is the point where opportunity and preparedness meet."

Lead Moderator
    Good idea if possible. I carry a really small BUG, so different type of gun than my 2 primary carry pieces. (which are similar in operation)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Not have different caliber ammo to buy?????? Not have different guns?????? Not have different holsters?????? Boy, are you taking all the fun out of this.
    Seriously tho, no, my backup when carried is smaller than primary.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    That's why many people carry Glocks. You can carry a full size & a sub-compact as a back-up. Pretty much same gun, same width, just shorter & the larger mags can go into the smaller gun. Other manufacturers are following suit by all the compacts & sub-compacts of full size new models coming out...

Having said that, I carried (still do if I carry a 2nd gun) a J-frame as my BUG.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I only own one, so it's not an option for me.

My primary is a 1911 in .45ACP or a Beretta 92/96 with a .40 S&W slide. My BUG is a J-frame.

That said, I have a buddy that carries a P-11 and a S&W which have interchangable mags. The idea has a lot more going for it than carrying two of the same gun.

I like the Subcompact / Full ize combo idea for Glocks but I find the 26/27 too square, thick, and bulky for pocket carry.

YMMV.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

plblark-
    Are you saying that you think it is a better idea to carry two different guns that have interchangeable mags? If so, why?
    I'm not starting an arguement with you- I'm just looking for an education.
    Thanks!
    "Luck is the point where opportunity and preparedness meet."

VIP Member
    My primary is a Glock 23 .40 S&W and my BUG is a Glock 27 .40 S&W. I can use the G-23 magazines in the G-27 if need be.

Not exactly the same weapon but oh so close!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

My EDC...

is my Kimber Ultra CDP II...

My BUG is my BushMaster AR-15...NOT...

Actually, I rarely have a BUG, but the times that I have tried that, it was my KelTec P-3AT that got to ride along...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My "Primary" is a S&W 22-4, .45 acp, N-Frame revolver. My BUG is a J-Frame 38 SPL.

Before the N-Frame my "Primary" was a Glock 19 and either a J-Frame or a Kahr PM9. I still have the Kahr, just prefer the J-Frame.

When I'm hunting I plan to have the N-Frame become my BUG, to back up my 629 Light Hunter. Dang "Second Childhood" sees me going back to revolvers.

Biker

Ret and think a lot alike. My primary is an Ultra CDP II and BUG is a P-3AT.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Lead Moderator
    Having caliber/ mag interchangeability gives you more ammo available if needed. How much need is there? Who can say?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It could be possible, depending on your gun choice, such as other have pointed out with the Glocks,having one larger, one small in the same caliber. Perhaps the Kahrs as well. You could also carry two Keltec 32s or 380's. In most instance though folks carry a primary gun which tends to be larger/more powerful,and then something smaller as a back up, but there are no rules.

I rarely carry a secondary gun but when I do it's a .38spl j-frame. My large primary is a .45 1911 though I've currently gone back to the .38 as a primary. I'll be adding a 9mm G19 soon as a primary and might eventually get a 26 as BUG for the reasons others have mentioned but that j-frame is hard to beat for pocket or ankle carry.
    Jack

Get a gun combo that uses the same mags.

I have a S&W 6946 and Kel-tec P11 for primary and secondary. It uses all the same mags 59xx, or 69xx or the 30 round mags! (It looks great with a 30 round mag in the Kel-tec!) The grips are nearly the same, feel is nearly the same and sometimes holsters are the same for cheap thumb break type.

I would consider two J or K frame revolvers also.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links