Milt Sparks VM2

This is a discussion on Milt Sparks VM2 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering purchasing a VM2 for my G23 or G27. I like the way the clips are so far apart, it looks like a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milt Sparks VM2

Milt Sparks VM2

I am considering purchasing a VM2 for my G23 or G27. I like the way the clips are so far apart, it looks like a real stable platform. I want to be able to carry my G23 and G27 in the same holster as they are VERY expensive. I do not want to buy 2. From the photos that I have seen it appears to have a closed bottom. So buying one for a G27 would not allow carrying the G23. So I guess I would have to buy one for a G23 and my G27 should fit fine.

Does the mouth stay open as well as a kydex or does it give rather easily like a leather holster?

Any feedback would be appreciated. The wait is very long and I would like to get my order in soon. I looked at the other recommended dealers, but they are out of stock and the mark up is ridiculous. I'd rather wait for the delivery from Milt Sparks than pay a 30% or 40% mark up.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

The VM-II is a popular choice in holsters. The mouthband won't collapse as it uses a reinforced band at the top. A bigger problem would be that carrying a 27 in a holster designed for a 23 will, over time, cause the lower portion to somewhat collapse as there's nothing to resist the pressure in the lower barrel portion. Also, last time I checked the kydex clips were no longer included with VM-II orders - they come with std. belt loops and the clips have to be ordered as a separate item. Just something for you to be aware of.

Tony Kanaley and the guys in Boise make some fine holsters and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to discuss any concerns you might have. Give them a call and see what they recommend for your situation.
    Jack

I'm in favor of one holster for one gun. I believe over a period of time the carry of the G27 in the G23 holster will flatten the bottom of the holster. I remember that being the opinion of the guy I talked to at Milt Sparks when I was ordering mine. so, I just ordered the G27. I ordered the extra clips and they are no good. I have many, many holsters and I find the VM2 to be the very best IWB holster there is.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I have a VM II for a 1911 and I love it. This one is horse hide and I got it for a 4.25" so I can use it for the 4" and the 3" ones also. The mouth stays open for very a easy re-holster. For a shorter barrel pistol (especially with a double stack pistol) I have found that a little more bottom helps to keep the pistol from wanting to flip out over the belt.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Sparks makes some nice stuff...........and another opinion...if I may?
    Well....just from doing this for a while. If the leather is heavy enough, which most of the VMs Ive seen are pretty heavily built and if the 23 holster is stitched closed at the bottom...you wont have a problem with it collapsing. But only if the bottom is stitched.
    Shoot well and god bless........
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; March 4th, 2007 at 07:06 AM.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will most likely be ordering the VM II. I think that I will go with the G23 holster. Its seems like it will conceal pretty well. I'll probably start carrying my G23 more often and for deep concealment I'll go with my G27.

Kevin, I was going to order the extra clips, thanks for saving me the money. But can you tuck this holster under a shirt with the standard belt loops?
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    When I ordered mine, one for my 23 and one for my 27, the gentleman at Milt Sparks told me there was a difference between the two holsters. I really don’t think he was just trying to sell another holster… especially with a 20+ week backlog!

My 23 and 27:

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

No, you can't tuck it in under a shirt with the regular loops. I will also second that the clips are junk. Actually they are well made, but they make it a pain to put the holster on. My clips were only on mine for about 10 minutes before I took them off and forgot about them! It is a VERY comfortable and well made holster though. They're worth the wait.

Kevin...the shark looks good on that VM2...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Thanks.
    Kevin @ K & D Holsters does a much better job on exotics though. And if I wanted a OWB thats where to go

Different opinion of the clips.

I had a VMII for my sig till I sold it. I ordered it long enough ago that it came with both Kydex clips and belt loops.

I used the kydes clips all the time, and found them to be great. I could slip the holster on and off very easily, and when I needed to tuck it, I could...

The clips are not junk, they are made very well, and my lasted for almost 7 years before I sold it, and they were still going strong.

Again, YMMV and your personal preference will dictate your carry style.

Again, thanks for all the feedback. I actually saw a Comptac IWB holster on the picture link and liked it a lot. It looks similar in set up to the VM II but can be adjusted in ride height and cant.

It is also kydex which is what I was really looking for. Plus the open mouth bottom will fit my G23 and 27 nicely.

Two more things...it's about $30 cheaper and a significantly less wait.

I ordered it tonight.

I know I know......I'm cheap and impatient.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Thumbs up

I just ordered the Sparks VMII today for my G27. (black horsehide w/sharkskin!) They quoted me 20-26 weeks, which is about half of what I was expecting. A 6-month wait is NOTHING to get one of these IMO.
    I'm sure it'll be WELL worth the short wait.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

I was lucky enough to get to borrow one from a friend and try it out for a week or so. While it is an awesome holster, I won't pay $100 for it nor will I wait 6 months for it. Not when I can get a Cochise Defender IWB from K&D holsters for considerably less money AND time to wait. For that matter, I can get a Comp-Tac in about a week!

Besides...my goat prolly should be driving a Chevy instead of a Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I was lucky enough to get to borrow one from a friend and try it out for a week or so. While it is an awesome holster, I won't pay $100 for it nor will I wait 6 months for it. Not when I can get a Cochise Defender IWB from K&D holsters for considerably less money AND time to wait. For that matter, I can get a Comp-Tac in about a week!

Besides...my goat prolly should be driving a Chevy instead of a Cadillac.
    That's what sold me also. I saw one up close and tried it on, and that was it! That holster would still be a deal at twice the price! I offered a guy $200 for a slightly used one yesterday and he turned it down. Smart man. I won't be selling mine either!
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links