Defensive Carry banner

Does anyone actually aiwb carry?

19K views 163 replies 81 participants last post by  Addictedhealer 
#1 ·
I for the life of me can't see how someone would carry like that. No, it's not a safety reason about having a gun pointed at my family jeweles. It's more of a comfort and concealment issue. I would absolutly love to aiwb carry my glock 19. It just too uncomfortable and I can't even bend over or sit down. Now I will admit I don't have a true aiwb holster. I do have one of the cheap uncle mikes nylon holsters with the plastic clip for iwb. But just to trying it out in that position sucks. I'm fine if I'm standing straight up. But if I sit down or bend over its a no go, I have barrel digging into my groin area or inner thigh.

Would an actually aiwb holster solve this problem? Iwb with the 19 is a breeze but prints in the summer and I have a problem with my shirt riding up and exposing my grip when I sit down (especially in a restaurant).

Reactions: jwilson904
#39 ·
I have tinkered with appendix carrying my G19 in a Sticky holster. Seems to work very well for standing/walking around but sitting is not all that comfy, at least using the Sticky.

#42 ·
#46 ·
I tried it for a while. I liked it when standing. Sitting...not so much. Switched back to carrying IWB at 3 o'clock. Much more comfortable sitting, plus it isn't pointed at...you know.

#47 ·
You absolutely must have an AIWB-specific holster if you are seriously considering carrying that way, IMO. Also, I had a hard time with my G19's length and grip height. I got a G26 and now it works beautifully in one of Matthew's Appalachian Concealment holsters. It's comfortable to sit or stand all day long. Like I've mentioned in other posts on this subject, the key for me is the loose-fitting belt loop of the holster. Unlike a traditional IWB holster that you don't want to move at all, I can adjust the cant angle and ride height easily and undetected when I transition from standing to sitting and vice-versa. When I sit down, I usually pull it up on the belt and angle it more toward my crotch area, like the the picture attached. When I stand, I push it back down with no cant. Completely comfortable and completely disappears under just a loose t-shirt or button-down shirt.

#51 ·
I'm carrying a 24/7 Pro C 45acp AIWB right now as I type. The muzzle is NOT pointed at my junk or my femoral artery. It's pointed off to the front of my hip.

Fear of carrying AIWB is all in your head. It's a psychological issue that all AIWB carriers have to overcome. (So, you're not alone.)

There has been people that shot themselves when showing off their firearm or doing something stupid like Mexican carry. But, every shooting that I've heard about concerning AIWB has be "shooter" error and not the gun.

Keys to safe AIWB or the same as any other form of carry-

1. Know your firearm! (Firearms usually don't go "BOOM" as long as you keep the booger hook off the bang switch!) Even "GLOCKS! :smile:
  2. Use safe handling rules whenever you do need to handle your firearm.
  3. Leave your firearm in the holster at all times unless you need it!
  4. The right holster makes a difference.

My modified CBST allows me to un-holster & holster my firearm without sweeping my body. Sometimes I do carry my firearm in a soft holster. But, when I do the firearm is holstered "BEFORE" I place the holster AIWB; --and--- it remains holstered until I get undressed at night.

Get a good holster, a good belt and follow some common sense rules and you should be fine.

-

#55 ·
Any belt that's made to be a gun belt should be fine. I currently use a Bullhide Belt and I have no complaints. You just want to avoid anything that's not stiff enough to hold things properly. If it's too thin or too flimsy then it makes carrying something heavy more difficult. It's also worth considering that IWB is going to be less belt dependent than OWB so you can get by with a less stiff belt with no negative effects.

#57 ·
Over the years, I have tried about every known type of carry with boxes of barely worn holsters. I always go back to a high-ride pancake style lined leather holster worn at 3:00 on my belt as the most comfortable for carrying and concealing a large handgun. I don't need larger pants. I don't need special "gun" belts. If I want to conceal carry, I un-tuck my shirt. If I want to open carry, I tuck my shirt.

#59 ·
I have been carrying AIWB for the past two decades and it works well for me. I am 5'11" tall and at one time weight 185 lbs. Now after medicasl issues I am down to 160.

I began using the soft suede type holsters however in the past several years I am using quality holsters from High Noon and Side Guard depending on what firearms I am carrying. I prefer good quality leather holsters. My holsters are zero cant and worn at the 1:30-2:00 position.

For the Glock 23 and 27 it is the High Noon Public Secret holster.

Handgun holster Belt Climbing harness Waist Gun accessory
Handgun holster Leather
click image to enlarge....

For the SP-101 it is the Side Guard Quick Clip holster.

Jeans Denim Waist Clothing Handgun holster
Everyday carry Leather Fashion accessory

When I carry what I consider "heavy" then it is the G-23 in a High Noon and a S&W 642 in a Remora, the only non leather holster I use.

Product Bag Electric blue Diaper bag Hand luggage

Good luck in your search for the "perfect holster" for your needs. Over the years I have accumulated about two dozen holsters in a box in the closet and I occassionaly give away one to others who are on the same quest as you. My belts are either High Noon or Beltman. Pants are one size larger.

Reactions: matthew03
#60 ·
Have you tried pulling up your pants before you sit down? My belt is about an inch below my belly button. That keeps the barrel from jabbing me in the thigh. I can sit for hours like this. And when I get up I tug them back down a bit. I have a 26 with a pierce grip. I don't have a 19 to try it with but give it a try. I use the raven vanguard 2. It's basically just a trigger guard cover. No excess holster to jab into my thigh.

#62 ·
No I haven't tried that. I don't sag my pants by no means but I wear them a little lower. I'd say 2 inches from my belly button, I guess. I'll have to try it out though when I get a holster.

#66 ·
I sometimes carry AIWB, but then, I also have an ankle holster and a shoulder holster that I sometimes use.
For some instances and circumstances, AIWB is the way to go. Moreover, I have found no size limits as to barrel length, width, or magazine capacity.
If a person wants to, imagination and strength of will are the only limiting factors, IMO.

<Sent from a new phone as of 17 June 2015. Typos possible.>

#67 ·
I got mine in Katana in the mail today retention is great. Fit and finish is better than any other kydex holster I have ever seen. I think its going to be anther great option for me. I will give a better review after I have worn it for a few days. I can't where it at work because I have to tuck my shirt in. I'll have to stick with a tuckable IWB for that.

#69 ·
Thank you very much.

I haven't found a reliable tucking option that doesn't add other unwanted issues; I'll keep looking, and experimenting, as I know some people have to have a tucked shirt.

#70 ·
I carry AIWB but on the "other" side as I am left handed.

The trick is to find a gun/holster combo that carries the firearm at the proper depth and angle so that the barrel does not poke you when you sit.

And yes, if it is not comfortable to you, then you likely have not chosen the proper holster.

I use an early model Desantis Tuck This and love it. My son uses a Desantis Sof-Tuk for his SR9c and loves it.

Inside the Waistband Holsters, Springfield Holsters, DesantisHolster.com

#98 ·
I carry AIWB but on the "other" side as I am left handed.
This poses an interesting problem in the terminology. I guess you could call it "Sigmoid Colon IWB."

The key issues for me to carry AIWB comfortably are:
- NO belly (I know this is asking too much for some people, but in the winter when I've really been pigging out and start to get squishy, AIWB is noticeably less comfortable.)
- A shorter gun (I can, and have carried a USP .45 AIWB, but anything longer than the Glock 30 seems to rub too far down the leg and start to hurt if I'm sitting a lot.)
- A good gun belt (This assumes the no belly part as well, but your hips form a bit of a hollow and a rigid belt just kind of suspends the gun in there weightlessly.)
- A holster designed for that carry position
- Wearing the belt (probably) one notch looser than when carrying strong side. This allows the gun to ride up and down a bit when you sit or stand.

I discovered AIWB carry when I first started looking this website over a few years back, and it is invaluable for hot summer days. Not only minimizes bulging/printing, but it's in a spot where people won't generally bump into it or put their hand on it (at least without your permission, I suppose.)

#84 ·
The OP said carrying AIWB is said to be the best way to carry full size guns.

The guy what sold me my Smart Carry rig pulled a full size 1911 from his holster.

This is how I roll now during the hot weather we're having. In winter I carry cross draw. Both methods work for me.

#87 ·
"Grip safety deactivated, thumb safety off, round chambered."

I bet this was not their normal EDC. Their group would have been much less successful due to shooting themselves.

Notice "Teddy" launches the 1911 out of his waistband with his offside hand.

Reactions: GA_Sheepdog
#88 ·
Lmao!!! I was thing the same thing. This is defiantly not the way to appendix carry.

I will say, he is pretty fast though. I thought it was cool to share at least, since all the apendix carry talk.

Reactions: matthew03
#89 ·
I carry a Glock 19 or S&W Shield in JM Custom Holsters. Based on the experience of guys who AIWB carry on a daily basis JM seems to be quite popular. CCC Shaggy is popular too, but more people that have the JM like it. I really don't see myself changing to any other holsters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.