Defensive Carry banner

Does anyone actually aiwb carry?

19K views 163 replies 81 participants last post by  Addictedhealer 
#1 ·
I for the life of me can't see how someone would carry like that. No, it's not a safety reason about having a gun pointed at my family jeweles. It's more of a comfort and concealment issue. I would absolutly love to aiwb carry my glock 19. It just too uncomfortable and I can't even bend over or sit down. Now I will admit I don't have a true aiwb holster. I do have one of the cheap uncle mikes nylon holsters with the plastic clip for iwb. But just to trying it out in that position sucks. I'm fine if I'm standing straight up. But if I sit down or bend over its a no go, I have barrel digging into my groin area or inner thigh.

Would an actually aiwb holster solve this problem? Iwb with the 19 is a breeze but prints in the summer and I have a problem with my shirt riding up and exposing my grip when I sit down (especially in a restaurant).

Reactions: jwilson904
#12 ·
AIWB carry is easier if you are medium to slender in build. It helps to have pants one size larger than normal.

A good AIWB Holster is adjustable. I have a Raven Concealment Eidonlon System that can be designed for standard IWB of AIWB. I can easily conceal my Glock 19 in jeans and a T-Shirt. Look it up they are not cheap, but it is great.

#5 ·
one of our esteemed on-site trainers, HarryBall - I do believe AIWB's... and maybe even a G19 , not sure about that.

I have been carrying my wife's 642 on occasion lately AIWB. and liking it. Considering a switch myself.

I'll you another thing it's good for. getting ambushed. you get a couple thugs on either side of you trying to hit you with fists, knives, ball bats or whatever, it's a lot harder to reach back around for a strong side draw, but you can safely draw from Appendix in just about any position, including on your back after you just got clobbered in the face.

no, it's not fun to sit in a car for a long period with AIWB, but it's also pretty easy to deal with it.

all my subjective opinion.

#7 ·
About half the students in the advanced classes and probably seventy-five percent of the instructors at TDI appendix carry. I don't and I won't, but it is a method which has definitely come into its own among the concealed carry community.

#8 ·
I do carry AIWB and find it very comfortable but I know some people find it uncomfortable. I think it has a lot to do with body style, overall length of gun and holster have a lot to do with comfort. Bending over beyond sitting angle can be a little uncomfortable so I adjusted my movement to more of a squatting. For a short time before I got an AIWB specific holster, I was using a cheap Blackhawk nylon holster and did not find it comfortable AIWB because the grip would come away from my body and the muzzle would poke into me. A good AIWB holster will definately help, but still may not make it comfortable for you to carry a Glock 19 AIWB.

#9 ·
" I have a problem with my shirt riding up and exposing my grip when I sit down (especially in a restaurant)."

I always try to set in a booth with pistol towards wall. Or a table if possible same way. Part of this is also learning how to move and setting down, getting back up . Your holster also plays a big part in concealing How tight does it hold to your body or does it allow the pistol to kind of sags out at top. Good holsters are not cheap padded nylon that are thicker than the pistol and cost 9.95 . I prefer only leather if possible. No plastic or leather and plastic . Just leather . I like UBG holsters for most of my guns. Nate started years ago on my Bersa board as we had no Bersa holsters.
I carry both IWB and Outside . Just depends on how I am dressed Jeans and t shirt 90% IWB Colder weather jacket I go more outside.

#11 ·
I think you gotta wear the right kind of pants along with the right kind of holster, even then there's no guarantee for comfort. I don't see it working if you wear low-rise jeans, for example. It's also less comfortable if you're a bit plump in that area.

#15 ·
#16 ·
With my J-frame model 640, that's how I carry all the time with an Alessi 'Deep Cover'. The type and quality of the holster can make a world of difference on comfort. On days when I'm feeling fat I'll wear my OWB (4:00) Milt Sparks PMK.

#19 ·
Sig P938 in a Remora holster tucked in a pair of Reebok drawstring sweats at 2:00. Standing or sitting I could forget it's there. If it's not the P938, it's a Sig P250 SC 45ACP in a Remora... same thing.

#20 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm 5'7 170lbs and I have a little "Belly" on me but nothing crazy. It's my dad bod!! When I attempt to aiwb, my belly isn't really the issue. It's the gun hitting my groin or inner thigh when I sit down. I'd like to get a decent awib holster before I completely write awib carry off. However I don't want to drop $100 to find out I still hate it after opening the box and trying it on for the first time.

#33 ·
I'm about your size (165, 5'10"), and have been pretty much full time AIWB for about 6 years. With compact or subcompact guns I carry at about 1:00, with smaller guns (like a p238, LCP, etc...) I can clock it to 3:00. For me, the key is finding a holster with very little material under the dust cover, as too much material here will chafe on my thigh.

If you are wondering about AIWB, unload your gun and try out different positions (cant and height) from 12:00-3:00. If you find a position that works, buy (or build) a holster that will allow you to carry in that position. If you can't get comfortable with just the gun, AWIB+G19 probably isn't for you.

Footwear Buckle Shoe Handgun holster Personal protective equipment

#21 ·
I carry either a G23 or larger P229 everyday, all day AIWB. I did design and build my own line of appendix carry holsters before I was completely happy with that mode of carry.

#22 ·
I AIWB with an Aleingear Tuck 2-0 holster for either my KelTec P11 or my J frame S&W Model 37. Both fit the same holster and because I have a "slight" beer belly, it does not print and is very comfortable. You can sit, stand, bend whatever, no problem. I think the secret to appendix carry is that you need a short gun. I adjust my holster to straight (no cant) and it's perfect.

#26 ·
That's Glock Perfection at work, don't even need a mag with their Orange Line guns. The only thing is, I can't tell you about the Orange Line guns... :tongue:

#28 ·
hick, You know how the special order Glock 7 has that porcelain slide, and costs more than you make in a month.

Well the Orange Line costs about what you make in two days, and has tape residue stuck all over it.

Reactions: Recon1342
#29 ·
I carry Appendix and pocket only. You need the right gun, the right holster, and the proper build to a large degree. The more "extra" around the middle and the shorter thru the torso builds will have more trouble. I find Appendix very comfortable but I carry subcompacts in leather holsters and I'm lean and long thru the middle...for me, Appendix is the best but I can;t possibly see how it could be for everyone, all the time, no matter what.

VooDoo

#30 ·
I AIWB my G19 and I don't have any issues you speak of. Heck, even when I'm carrying my 26 instead, it makes no difference because the holster is made for my 19. I generally carry AIWB (and rarely does a day go by that I'm not carrying) but in the winter months I will sometimes OWB instead. I'd say it's probably a 90/10 ratio...

I'd like to tell you that a properly designed holster will make all the difference in the world. The truth though, as others have pointed out, is that it's not just the holster. I can promise you that you'll be hard pressed to carry AIWB successfully without a good AIWB specific holster but I simply cannot say that it is going to change your opinion because you may just not be built for it.

One thing I can say with some authority is that if you do buy a quality AIWB rig and you find that it's not for you, you probably won't have a hard time selling a holster that is made for the Glock 19, so there is probably not much financial risk. You'll lose a little money but it probably won't amount to a #1 at McDonalds... Now, I did say a quality rig. If you buy JohnBoys special AIWB off ebay, then you might be stuck with it. Buy something with some proven success and a track record for quality (Matthew on here, JM Custom, Shaggy, etc) and you'll be fine.

#36 ·
I have an aeris belt but I don't really like it too much. I like it for when I'm in training or when I where a polo, 5.11 pants and I owb carry at work sometimes. It kinda too rigid for when I wear "civilian" clothes off duty. Plus the belt clip is really annoying and I'd have to turn clip almost to the side if I wanted to aiwb.

I was thinking of going leather or S.O.E makes an EDC low Profile belt. Anyone have any experience with that particular belt?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.