Pager Pal vs Smart Carry

This is a discussion on Pager Pal vs Smart Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I own a wedding photography business and most of the time I leave my CC gun in my truck while working. Well ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pager Pal vs Smart Carry

Pager Pal vs Smart Carry

My wife and I own a wedding photography business and most of the time I leave my CC gun in my truck while working. Well a situation took place last weekend to make me now want to have something on me and not in the truck. I will be using my Sig P232, .380 for this need, not my larger daily carry gun.The Smart Carry looks interesting but could be a pain when having to use the bathroom. I have read some good and some bad about the Pager Pal. I did notice on the PP website they are offering a new model with a lower drop as that was a problem with many folks is the bend in the holster didn't match their body. Just wanted to get some feedback before I laid down the cash$$ If anybody wanted to get rid of either one please let me know.
    Thanks for the help.
    NCHornet/Kevin L.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

2. Remove Ads

From everything I've read, I'd choose the Smart Carry, I've seen more negitive feedback on the Pager Pal then any other "holster" Now that's not to say some people aren't happy with the Pager pal and it may work for you, but I'd shy away from it myself. As for the bathroom issue, I think you'd get used to dealing with it pretty quickly and don't think it would be any more of an issue then any other IWB holster.

(There's also Thunderwear and Belly Bands, not to mention other "clothes" that may work for you as well)

I own a pagerpal and it's the biggest POS 'holster' I have bought to date. I wont even sell it because I couldn't do that to even a stranger :)

From the instructions at SmartCarry's website:

FOR MEN ONLY:

If you have to relieve yourself, the fact that you're carrying in SmartCarry® does not prohibit you from using a urinal in the normal manner! If you find that your firearm is blocking your access to the fly in your underwear, use your thumb and index finger to move SmartCarry® to the right (if you're right handed - reverse for left handed users) and access the fly in your underwear with any of your remaining fingers. Then release the firearm and precede as usual. The side of your hand will keep the firearm out of your way. You can also grasp the barrel/slide of the firearm with your weak hand, through your trousers, and simply move it to your left/right for easy access to the fly in your shorts. From personal experience, I can tell you this works very well, does not take any longer than normal and I carry a full size M1911A-1! Tip: A few practice runs in the privacy of your home before you carry in public are a big plus!

As with any other product, you need to read the instructions!

Forget the Pager "POS" Pal...

doesn't the Smart Carry have a 60 day trial period. You like it or you return it?
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

I like my Smartcarry, works real good for me.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

jimmy,
    Thanks for explaining that as that was the only negative I could think of.
    Mr. Poker,
    I would be willing to pay for your time and shipping to see if it would work for me, how about it?

I do have a belly band and use it often, don't see the T shirt type to have any advantage over the Belly band, just wanted something below belt because during the weddings I have to do a lot bending and I have had a loose mag fall out before. I appreciate the help and advice.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Smartcarry is the best option of the two. I have one and use it a lot.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I own both a Pager Pal and a SmartCarry.

For what it's worth, I use the SmartCarry when I need deep concealment and the Pager Pal is even now gathering dust in the "dead Holster Box". It never gets used.

It is not comfortable, it is hard to draw from (the SmartCarry isn't exactly easy but it is a darn bit easier than the PP) and it just didn't work for me.
    Besides, who the heck carries or uses a pager now a days?

I'd go with the SmartCarry if that is what you have your heart set on. But, better yet, I'd ge5t a good strong side IWB holster and wear a jacket / outer shirt to cover it. I can cover my Glock 23 in an Outside the waist band holster with a loose fitting T-shirt and with any of the IWB holsters I have it disappears. And it is MUCH easier to get to and draw the gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

If you like the Smart Carry....look at this!!

http://www.activeprogear.com/defender.html
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Ive had Pager Pals and from my own experience...I broke pager after pager after pager after pager! Trying to get a clean smooth draw...If I remember right...I gave it to my dad's doberman to knaw on! I know people they work for....but just not my thing.

I cant say anything about the smart carry as I havent tried it. But the design is hands down better than the one mentioned previously.

Shoot well and god bless
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; March 6th, 2007 at 08:58 AM.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I'll probably get flamed here, but I love the Pager Pal.

I carry a PPK/S all day in complete concealment and comfort. I don't even take it off at home, like it's not there at all.

I've also carried a Chiefs Special 45 in nearly complete all day comfort.

The draw takes practice, and the Walther comes out slick as a whistle. The 45, not so easy.

I have trouble with the pager sticking me in the belly. Guess I need to try something else besides a pager. Holster not that bad for me, it beats having a gun jabbing me in the ribs and back with IWB.

PagerPal

The Pager Pal requires both hands to draw your weapon.

The Smart Carry and the Thunderwear do not.

Nuff said...

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Wes,
    I disagree, the Smart Carry does require both hands unless you where your britches really loose like the kids do nowadays. One hand to pull out on your belt and one to draw the weapon.
    Sig 239,
    I appreciate the advice but a IWB is a no go for me. Totally uncomfortable, can't have a gun digging into my side. I prefer a high rise pancake holster, but not for when I do weddings. Cover garments are not always practical, it can be hot in some of these churches and outside weddings in July-August.

I do understand that some of you really hate the pager pal, and some are confused. The pager is supposedly able to be replaced with a reg cel phone which is what I plan on doing. I also found that the reason why many dislike them is because the drop wasn't long enough so it didn't fall in the crease of the body correctly. They offer a new model that has a longer drop to work with these folks. I am willing to take the holster to a leather shop and have it modified, so if you truly have one that is just collecting dust and will never be used how about shooting it to me. I am willing to pay for the holster + shipping, but remember what a piece of junk it is when you quote a asking price, lol!!!
    Thanks Y'all
    Last edited by NCHornet; March 6th, 2007 at 05:17 PM.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links