Best carry position for bigger guys

This is a discussion on Best carry position for bigger guys within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally picked up a Glock 19, and was wondering where the best position for iwb carry is for larger guys? I'm 6'3" 240 pounds ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Best carry position for bigger guys

I finally picked up a Glock 19, and was wondering where the best position for iwb carry is for larger guys? I'm 6'3" 240 pounds with a 40ish inch waist (currently losing weight)

My job requires a lot of sitting around so that plays a factor. Also printing is a huge no-no at work, it's legal to carry at work but they aren't fond of it and I work with a few antigun nuts.

Sorry if this has already been discussed

You have less weight around the middle than I, but we are close to the same size; I AIWB carry a G23 or similar sized P229 every day, all day.

Also, welcome to DC Forum.

If you don't mind me asking do you wear your pants just under your navel or under your belly/on your hips?

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    I am 6'5" and ~310lbs and not much fat, but my gut is a bit big and hard. No hips or butt to speak of.
    I carry IWB best at 3:30 - 4:00 with a Colt Defender .45, Shield .40 or LCRx 38+P with no worries of printing.
    However, I've had 40+ years of practice carrying concealed.
    To prevent printing, I use a sidearm less than 0.99 inches wide and with a max unloaded weight of 22 ozs. The 2 semis above meet this criteria, thus, being my favorite 'no print' + comfortable concealed carries. The LCRx conceals just as easy for me at 13 ozs.

If their is a better way, I haven't found it in several decades.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I'm pretty large. 6'1 and about 260. and I practice carrying at 10:00 and it's quite comfortable. Nothing prints. Also, i use alien gear 2.0 if that makes a difference.

Distinguished Member Array michael t's Avatar
    IWB 3;30 TO 4 if R/H Might want to look at a smaller pistol If printing a no no. I can carry a 1911 But their thin In fact all my carry autos are thin and single stack. I am 6'2 and 270
    come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994, Colt Officer ACP 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Belleview Detonics

VIP Member
    Much also depends on your daily work-wear. Blue collar vs. white collar provides for different options. Do you wear an over garment - sweatshirt or jacket? Do you have to tuck in nice and neat wearing a Polo or such?

Generally, I find that right on the hip or just off the front of the hip give me the most concealment.
    *WARNING - I may or may not know what I am talking about.

I'm a bigger guy than you but I carry 3:30 IWB and don't have trouble concealing a full size gun.

Hard to say what'll work with a given body shape and choice of wardrobe. Depends where your bumps and rolls are, where your clothing allows best concealment, minimal jutting-out of the butt-end of the gun, etc.

Try appendix IWB (AIWB), if you don't have much of a gut or roll out there. Try IWB or OWB if you have great covering garments with sufficient drape, color and pattern complexity that conceals shapes you're wearing. Or, if you regularly wear a sportcoat, perhaps shoulder carry might suit. If around the waist is intolerable but you're willing to carry a somewhat smaller sidearm, perhaps ankle carry would work best for you.

Glad to hear that carry isn't disallowed. Unsurprising it's frowned on and stigmatized, even with the somewhat open policy. Not everyone is so fortunate, when working for others.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

5'11'' , 210 wear at 4- 4:30.IWB shield or colt officer.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

I wear scrubs and have the option to wear a labcoat at work, when not at work I usually wear jeans and a untucked button up, (the thin fishing/golf shirts with the vents in the back)

Also the only place that doesn't have a roll is at 6 o'clock I prefer not to carry there but its it conceals the best then I guess that's what I have to do

If it needs to be completely concealed, pocket carry a smaller .380, say a Ruger LCP, Taurus TCP, or Smith Bodyguard.
    Lifetime NRA member

I guess since I can wear a labcoat printing isn't that big of an issue...I do want a pocket gun but have to make do with what I have for now

VIP Member
    I am a large/heavy male and i carry anywhere from 2:30 to 3:30 depending on the fit of the shirt and how i clip in the holster in the morning . To me these positions feel the sam for the most part .
    Every so often , last couple days i have been carrying a .380 as well in pocket holster as a BUG .
    farsidefan1 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you want to destroy something .

I carry 1911's (Gov and Commander) IWB at 3:30-4:30. Holster style is very important to all day comfort, as is cant. I can carry my G20 in a TTGunLeather (Mikes Special) or OverlandGunLeather (Axe) and my full size or Commander 1911's in a Sparks Nexus with little to no printing all day long. You will have to play around with positioning until you find the sweet spot. You will also have to have a good gun belt. Your other option is a shoulder holster. I use my Alessi Bodyguard shoulder holsters as much as my IWB's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links