Interesting article on hybrid holsters...

This is a discussion on Interesting article on hybrid holsters... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reserching hybrid holsters, I came accross this article. Interesting really...some of the issues the author mentions, while seemingly obvious now, I've never considered. Apologies if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Interesting article on hybrid holsters...

Reserching hybrid holsters, I came accross this article. Interesting really...some of the issues the author mentions, while seemingly obvious now, I've never considered. Apologies if this has already been posted...

Legally Concealed ? 3 Reasons Your Hybrid Holster Failed

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    sdprof likes this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'

“The Second Amendment is timeless for our Founders grasped that self-defense is three-fold: every free individual must protect themselves against the evil will of the man, the mob and the state.”
    ― Tiffany Madison

Interesting article. I have leather, kydex and hybrid holsters and IMO, the hybrids are the most comfortable. I don't try to cheap out on holsters. I read forum posts here and other forums where someone writes that they're looking for a holster but don't want to spend a lot of money.....or they buy a "thick" belt at Walmart for $15 instead of a good gun belt at $60.
    I think if you conceal carry, the holster is just as important as the gun you carry.
    Techer40 likes this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I have an Alien Gear holster that I use for IDPA and everyday carry, I have no issues with it. Even though it is not one of the pricey ones, about half the cast of some of the others. It works fine.

Just before getting it I had a standard belt, which when I changed it out on my blade tech holster, made a huge difference. I got the belt from Hanks Clothing, it's on line. It is an Amish made belt not too pricey but a good belt.
    michael t likes this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

VIP Member
    I was a total newb when I started carrying 3 years ago. Hybrids have been my preferred method the entire time. I don't have the issues that he talks about. Further, couldn't those points apply to any IWB holster, and many holsters in general when not worn and maintained properly?
    dangerranger likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Good holsters aren't cheap and cheap holsters aren't good!

VIP Member
    Aside from the article seeming like a long ramble instead of a well thought out piece of writing, his points are good.
    Nebraska12 and michael t like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Thanks for posting :-) Every viewpoint is useful, in the pursuit of perfection in design, construction, and use of holsters with pistols.
    Nebraska12 and Shrike6 like this.
    Holster designer since 1968

I am one of the lucky ones who has avoided the "drawer full" of holsters syndrome.

Currently I have (3) holsters W/o complaint.

1 )Alien Gear IWB Hybrid...Walther PPQ
    2) DeSantis OWB leather...Walther PPG
    3) Galco Kingtuk...Ruger LC9s

Blackhawk Serpa OWB...I don't include this one in my mix as I use it only at the range..(i.e) NOT a EDC holster.

The article while interesting and providing food for thought, I felt it was aimed at people *new* to holsters and carrying.

Re-Holstering: The criteria of re-holstering is not high on my list in CC as the weapon is intended to sit in its holster happy as a clam all day.

(i.e) My Alien Gear IWB. When holstering, I need to *look* when holstering..one time.
    This particular holster provides for me the best concealment for my PPQ. Is it difficult or dangerous to holster my weapon? No; not at all, but it does require me looking as I wear it about 3:30 to 4 O'clock.

At the range, the Kydex Serpa is easy to re-holster w/o looking..but then again, it sticks out a country mile; not suitable for EDC CC.

Holsters are NOT a one size fits all.

Application, concealment and body build all play into it.

I don't believe a requirement for a great holster is spending a small fortune. Sure, there are poorly made cheap nylon holsters one can buy at Wally World; and most of us would not use them.

The Alien Gear I believe was about 45 bucks; I see no issues with it.
    The Kingtuk was I believe about 50...It's great for me.
    Desantis leather OWB..wonderful.

A little research and talking to others is the key to avoiding the "drawer full" syndrome.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    2) students unable to reholster due to the body shield/guard folding over the holster opening.
    This was a problem I had when I first started carrying. My IWB hybrid holster stays on all day even when my pistol isn't holstered because I'm not allowed to carry at work or in other GFZs. Not having a pistol up against the sweat guard for extended periods of time will allow that sweat guard to creep out and start to bend over. Yes, that does make re-holstering a problem. To combat this, whenever my holster isn't being used, I hang it horizontally by the sweat guard in such a way that the weight of the holster makes it bend the other way which helps to straighten it out after it has been worn. This has helped in re-holstering and to extend the life of the holster.
    dangerranger likes this.

It is obvious that one size fits all mindset does not work with guns, holsters, and belts. His points are valid. All kydex holsters work well for me. I am 6 ft tall and 160 pounds. If I were 250 pounds the kydex may not work. Point being. Different folks, different strokes. You need to find what works for your body type.
    addywon and OD* like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

It all starts with a good gun belt.You need a heavy duty belt for all types of holsters.
    Zredwire likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    It all starts with a good gun belt.You need a heavy duty belt for all types of holsters.
    Yea...like this?
    uploadfromtaptalk1437926933307.jpg

While I agree, I'm not sure how that helps with design issues specific to holsters...as outlined by the article. A great belt, won't do much to help a poor design.

'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'

“The Second Amendment is timeless for our Founders grasped that self-defense is three-fold: every free individual must protect themselves against the evil will of the man, the mob and the state.”
    ― Tiffany Madison

VIP Member
    The first carry holster I ever used was a CB. I have tried several since them, and hated each of them with only slightly-varying degrees of intensity.
    Nebraska12 likes this.
    "There's something in me I can't describe. It's as if I saw a strange darkness before me, into which I must go."
    Viktor Woellert

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The first carry holster I ever used was a CB. I have tried several since them, and hated each of them with only slightly-varying degrees of intensity.
    I've owned CBs as well. Functionally, it was a good holster. But, no matter what I did, it creaked like a 100 yo farm house, and the leather had the most horrible odor. My friends could SMELL when I was carrying...

'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'

― Tiffany Madison

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Like everything , theres good holsters and bad holsters no matter if there costly or low or high priced or all leather or all kydex or somewhere in between . I have owned one that many love and I hated . garrett fusion . I have used one brand and model thats 10 years old and I keep coming back to it . Does everything well including reholstering .

Comp-tac neutral

Article is worthless .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links