Another homebrewed holster - Page 3

Another homebrewed holster

This is a discussion on Another homebrewed holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by huntermedic Looks GREAT for a first attempt. I've been thinking of trying my hand at it. It's really pretty fun and not ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another homebrewed holster

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermedic View Post
    Looks GREAT for a first attempt. I've been thinking of trying my hand at it.
    It's really pretty fun and not too terribly difficult. I had been saying for months that I was going to try it. I finally forced myself to go to a Tandy Leather Company store and pick up some tools and some leather to start with. They sell these big strips of belly skin for $20. I figure there is enough leather to make 8-10 holsters like the two above. So go for it!
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

so where is the pics of the other one on ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    so where is the pics of the other one on ?
    Posts 25 and 27.

arent those the ones you cut backwards not the same

No, I had to cut the pattern out a second time. This holster was the result of that screw up. I cut out the section that would have had the slot in it on this one. The Mahogany one is what it was supposed to look like.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    So, when ya gonna start passing them out to all of us in Kansas? You know the rules. If you lived in Mo., we would have to make some and send to you, but since you live in kansas, you have to send some to all of us here. I'm sure I read that somewhere in the rule book.
    Looks pretty good for a first one. You should have seen the first one I tried. A paper bag looked better.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

How come the one in the first pic is black and the other isnt were the pics in 25 27 before ya dyed it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    How come the one in the first pic is black and the other isnt were the pics in 25 27 before ya dyed it ?
    No, the second set of pics is the second holster. I made it from the backwards-cut pattern. If I had made this one like the one I dyed, it would have been a wrong-handed one.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    And the rough-out looks OK anyways. That's a very nice looking first holster. I like seeing new holsters and love the tips and feedback from all the makers. I learn something about holsters and the craft each time we get a thread like this.

The rough-out one is actually quite functional so long as you don't need to take it off. If I can figure out how to do it, I will make one a snapping loop or a belt clip.

Leather selection was a no-brainer for me. I wanted as much as I could get for the least amount of money. I planned on screwing up a lot.

The Tandy store I went to had a stack of these belly strips (G and F in the diagram below) that vary greatly in overall size and thickness from one skin to the next. They were all $20 regardless of size so that was good enough for me.

I selected one that wasn't too thick (they all seemed a little thicker than most holsters I have purchased), was relatively large and that had the fewest obvious defects (like the "177" scratched into it as well as holes and tears, etc...).

Last edited by lowflyer; March 9th, 2007 at 01:05 PM.

One thing that was a mystery to me is the order in which to do things. I learned that the order of the steps is unforgiving. If you don't do them in the right order, you can get hosed up like my belt loop and slot placement.

For my next one, I plan next to completely mock up the holster using poster board or some eva foam sheets. These first two were made using a pattern penciled onto plain white paper. The size, shape and placement of the loop were mistakenly sort of an afterthought.

Wickett - Craig is a decent source online according to some sources. Their stuff also comes drum dyed so it's black through and through before you start. http://www.wickett-craig.com/products.htm

Here's how it breaks down:
    Both places only sell sides in 10-11 oz thickness. ~25 SF in a side.
    Tandy: $7.69 (members) - $8.99(Retail) = $ 192.25 - $224.75 per side.
    WC: $6.17 (10 or more) - $6.30 = $154.35 - $157.5 per side.

Pro WC: Better price per SF and pre-dyed
    Con: Only whole sides. Johan at Tandy in Bloomington MN prices better than the sf price anyway and you can buy 8-9 oz in single shoulders. A side is a LOT of leather :-)
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

I decided to add a snap to the raw IWB even if I don't really know how. Here is what I though I should do...

I ripped the stitched on loop off and made this piece to go over the holes. This is glued on, but I plan to stitch it on tomorrow after the glue fully dries. Then I can add the loop. These snaps are easier than I thought.

It should look something like this when I am done:

Last edited by lowflyer; March 10th, 2007 at 01:44 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links