Summer is just around the corner....

This is a discussion on Summer is just around the corner.... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; and im thinking maybe a kydex holster would be better for IWB. i'd like to get as much life as possible out of my nicer, ...

and im thinking maybe a kydex holster would be better for IWB.

i'd like to get as much life as possible out of my nicer, leather ones. as much as i sweat working outside, i can't imagine its good for them.

the CTAC seems like a nice alternative.... wearing OWB is difficult, as tshirts tend to get sticky and pull away or tighten, printing or showing.

any other suggestions? predominately for IWB, i carry the XD40SC.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well..Ive owned and tried alot of Kydex stuff. My personal preference is leather for me for IWB carry...it just bends and molds to you more than Kydex. One thing most people really dont equate is a gun is like carrying a brick between you and your skin, leather helps to soften it a bit.
    But on the other hand....many many people like it and there are some very talented plastic smiths out there.
    Try it and see how it works for you......Id recommend Bladetech/Comptac etc.....
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I gotta tell you that I have never found anything Kydex to be comfortable IWB. Leather will mold itself to your body over time and move with you, and I've found it to be clearly superior for IWB applications. Others may have had a different experience, but this has been mine.

I had a kydex for two weeks and gave it away. Everytime I sat down I had to adjust it a little or it would pinch me or was very irratating. Leather is the only way to go.
    You might be a Redneck if: You've ever pruned your trees with a shotgun.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Good luck with a kydex holster. I know (personally & heard about) people that love kydex IWB holsters. I'm not one of them. Just didn't feel right. It wasn't that uncomfortable, but just wasn't like a hand-made leather holster. & the bigger name brand kydex holsters aren't that less expensive than a leather holster, go figure.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I have to agree with the earlier post. Kydex for me is great OTB but ITP it just is to uncomfortable. If its going in my pants its going in leather.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I'll go against the grain here. I carry IWB with a kydex holster all the time. I use a Comp-Tac C-T.A.C. holster and I find it quite comfortable.

i thought i'd seen mention of kydex iwb holsters with sweatbands or something.

my biggest concern with sticking with leather (pardon the pun...) is sweating - leather is fine, dry, but wet, it gets as uncomfortable as i can imagine kydex would, and i can't imagine it being good for the leather.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    i thought i'd seen mention of kydex iwb holsters with sweatbands or something.

my biggest concern with sticking with leather (pardon the pun...) is sweating - leather is fine, dry, but wet, it gets as uncomfortable as i can imagine kydex would, and i can't imagine it being good for the leather.
    Your right, but, stick a brick tn your waist band and the others are also right. Accept the wet leather issue or better yet find a new carry method that works for you.

Links