GUNBELT SAMPLE FOR REVIEW -- Opinions Welcome!

This is a discussion on GUNBELT SAMPLE FOR REVIEW -- Opinions Welcome! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sweet!...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GUNBELT SAMPLE FOR REVIEW -- Opinions Welcome!

Sweet!

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Black? Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    nice belt, what about black???
    Bruce is making a mahogany belt'holster combo for me to give to a retired NYPD friend. He still has his Model 10 and I think he needs a nice holster for it. I'm giving him a "Basic" BBQ set up for his Gat.

With all the history his former duty sidearm has I feel it would be the perfect "understated" BBQ Gun.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; March 10th, 2007 at 07:17 AM.

Thanks everybody. The kind words are much appreciated.

Bruce, I just browsed your website - very impressive work. I'd really like to see more pics of the belts and holsters too but I've just GOT to ask ... what the heck's a "left handed rope?"
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Bruce, I just browsed your website - very impressive work. I'd really like to see more pics of the belts and holsters too but I've just GOT to ask ... what the heck's a "left handed rope?"
    Jack
    I can answer that since Bruce used to braid my ropes.

At one time, in a world before broken bones, shattered face and permanently torn pelvic ligiments I used to ride bulls. Bullropes have a handle braided in to them and are either right or left handed.

There is a trick that I can show you to know if it's right or left handed, but I can't type how to do it. The reason that this is important is for when you go to get off your bull. You sure as heck don't want the handle turning over on you, or binding your hand at this time. You do however want the rope to bind and provide leverage when you are trying to keep the seam of your Wrangler jeans in the middle of a bull's back.

Ropes last about 100 bulls, or so. They are, the good one's like Bruce's and Raymond Branch's, hand braided to the rider's specifications, likes and what he is trying to accomplish with a certain rope. For example, I used to ride with a 5 Plait but found the bigger bulls jerking the rope out of my hand, and on the smaller ones I wasn't able to get my rope tight enough.

I switched to a 9 Plait, which is smoother to pull tight, thus taking care of the smaller bulls. It worked on the bigger one's too. However it does cause a fella to get "jerked down" more. That's why I had a bulls horn in my forehead and later the same year broke the left side of my face in seven places.

I hope that answered your question. I have to apologise to Bruce in case I got anything wrong in this post. I'm just a dumb former bullrider and don't know any better.

Biker

VIP Member
    That is one fine looking belt. I could do without the stamped pattern, but that is just my taste- you did a great job with it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I never thought about it Maclean3, but you got me rollin' on that one, too. I know it sounds like the old "snipe hunting" or "left-hand crescent wrench" lines, but it's 100% true about left-hand and right-hand bull ropes. It's determined by the leather lacing angle in the handle--and I promise I'm not making that up. Biker's right-on in his narrative--even with the proper gear you can count on some wreckage...in bullriding it's not whether you get hurt, it's "when" and "how bad." Next time the PBR has an event in Nashville I'd invite you to go and check it out in person--it's a blast, and I think you'd really enjoy it. Also, almost any weekend you can catch the telecast on the Versus (formerly OLN) channel. Nothing like 1800 pounds of raw beef coming after you to get your heart rate up. Toughest sport on dirt!

Thanks, Echo Four--the stamping on this one, along with the contrasting stitching kind of follows a cowboy or Western-style theme. I do the same thing with no stamping/design and a more subtle thread color too. Standard versions--black belt/black thread, tan belt/tan thread, etc. As a custom maker, I'll do anything a customer asks for, if it's within the range of my ability. And all my work is 100% guaranteed. If you goof up your measurement and it doesn't fit, send it back and I'll send you a new one. If you don't like it, for ANY reason, send it back and I'll either make another, or refund your money...including the shipping charges.

In short, you'll get your money's worth, or you'll get every penny of your money back. Period. That's been my attitude for 21-years in business, and so far it's worked.

The last real rodeo I went to was Cheyenne Frontier Days many long years ago, though I did go to a small one out in New Mexico in my teenage years. Think I'll pass on the bull and bronc riding, I've done enough damage to my body already without being trampled by high speed barbeque.

The rope braid direction makes perfect sense, I just never knew there was a handle designed into the braiding. Anxious to see you get the belt and holster pics posted as I'd like to see your design ideas for both Western and CCW rigs.
    Jack

maclean3

Wild, ain't it? I can relate to Cheyenne--I lived there for five years back in the early-to-mid-70's. Went to the Daddy of 'Em All every year. Absolutely wonderful place in the Spring & Summer. Total misery through the Winter months.

I'll post more pictures of different relevant gear as I finish my orders. And as long as the mods don't mind my doing so.

I see awesome pictures of holsters up here all the time, and I thought, "Heck, I'm drooling over the holsters...why not throw a belt up there?"

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    As a custom maker, I'll do anything a customer asks for, if it's within the range of my ability. And all my work is 100% guaranteed. If you goof up your measurement and it doesn't fit, send it back and I'll send you a new one. If you don't like it, for ANY reason, send it back and I'll either make another, or refund your money...including the shipping charges.

In short, you'll get your money's worth, or you'll get every penny of your money back. Period. That's been my attitude for 21-years in business, and so far it's worked.
    And I bet you don't have many dissatisfied customers. But I also bet you have a herd of repeat customers.

Thank you, AnimalKracker...so far it's worked well. I've got a belt that I totally screwed up today. The customer won't ever see it, but I'll sell it at a huge discount and make him another. The goofs are all on the inside...I got dye on the liner, but I can't sell it for regular price. There's also a spot on the outside thread. Minor stuff, but it drives me nuts--it's a disaster as far as I'm concerned.

What it comes down to is this: You're gonna love what I make for you, or you're gonna get every penny of your money back. Shipping included. Period. I won't nit-pick a customer over a $5.00 Priority Mail charge.

The great majority of my customers are happy with what they receive. There have been a few where I've had to re-make leather for them, but they've been satisfied at the end. I've never had a customer that I wasn't able to please. If I do come across one that I can't make happy, then that customer will have been put out a little time-wise, but he or she will not lose a penny...literally. It's a real simple policy--if you don't like it, for ANY reason, you get your choice--I'll either make it again, or REFUND ALL OF YOUR MONEY...including the SHIPPING. Period.

It's worked for 21-years, and it keeps me on my toes. I start with the absolute best materials, and then I try and do my best work with it. If I wouldn't wear it, then I won't sell it to you. If I screw it up, like the belt I messed up today, then you, as my customer, will never see it.

If anybody wants a mahogany light-oil, hand-stamped, doubled & stitched Hermann Oak 1-1/2" gunbelt with some "ooooops!" just e-mail me, or send me a message. It's 35" to the center hole, and it's got seven holes 3/4" spaced. I've taken some pictures of it, and I'll post them on the website. All its ugly flaws will be right there for you to see. And the buckle set is included.

I've got one for sale...cheap--if you're a 35" waist. Here's the link to take a look, and also see the "goofs." Satisfaction's 100% guaranteed. http://gibsonprorodeo.com/GIBSON%20G...LE%20CHEAP.htm

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Bruce, that is one heck of a deal there. And when you get it on you'll never notice those little blems. I don't mind paying for quality when I get quality. I can tell that's just what you'll get from you. I have several holsters on order from others right now. I went from trading cars and trucks when I got bored or antsy to buying pistols. Now I find that it's cheaper to collect holsters. lol, You may be hearing from me in several months.

You're right--the only glitch that shows is about 1/2" long on the rear stitching. But that's more than I can stand. This is an awesome belt, it's just not perfect. And imperfect gets tossed or sold at a discount.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links