Glock 23 Recommendations

Glock 23 Recommendations

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Recommendations within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am getting a Glock 23 as my primary CCW soon. With my employment, I actually have a special class that I have to attend ...

Glock 23 Recommendations

I am getting a Glock 23 as my primary CCW soon. With my employment, I actually have a special class that I have to attend before I get my permit. The class is in June (3 days). I was a LEO some years back, and I was actually quite good at the draw & quick fire scenario, but it was all from a normal holster/belt combo on the hip. What holster/belt combo would you recommend. Since I frequently wear a jacket and sit behind a desk quite a bit, I would be interested in hearing all options (OWB & IWB). Also, I need to look into something for summer carry as well once this weather starts warming up.

Thanks in advance

We've got several great custom makers here on the Forum, just depends on your personal taste, budget and how long you can wait for an order. Any special style you want? IWB, OWB, leather, kydex, loops vs. clips, etc ?

I've got a G19 sitting in layaway that I'm trying to pay off and my choices are Brommeland's Def-Con OWB and MaxCon V (or VI) IWB. Others you might consider would be Mark Garrity, Eric Larsen of HBE, Kevin Manley of K&D, Nate of UBG, Matt Del Fatti, Milt Sparks, Lou Alessi ... and Rocky's making some mighty fine looking kydex if that's your preference as well. I'm sure there's a few others I've forgotten (sorry guys!)
    Jack

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    IWB C-TAC infidel, Blade Tech for kydex.
    Leather/Horse Hide takes a little breaking in but

+1 on the Milt Sparks VM II
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well....all good advice given thus far. Look at the makers websites and see what appeals to you.

Personally, Id opt for a good pancake for jacket weather...keeps the gun close to the body and offers great presentation of the weapon.
    For IWB carry...an offset loop design, MaxCon5 and the likes, would spread out the little guns bulk and create a very stable carry platform for you.

If we can offer anymore help....just yell. We are always here for you.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

CTAC

CTAC IWB holster is ideal. I posted some pics on my thread, check them out.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

kpw
    Since your in Utah, I happen to know that there is a couple of guys out your way that make some nice leather. They've gotten my spare change recently.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I will definately start looking into it now. Since I have never shot from a concealed setup, should I go through the firing course with a standard OWB holster/belt combo? I will start practicing with the IWB setup, I just worry about how long the learning curve is on the difference. The shooting part is not a problem for me, mainly worry about the draw and holster. Don't want to draw out only to see it flying away as my hang snags something. Also don't want to miss and holster it in my pocket. Would never live it down with th egroup I will be with.

Well..personally, I would go through a course with your CCW setup. It only makes sense to train with your carry equipment.

Id get a good belt and holster. The great thing about a pancake/IWB setup is you can place the gun in the same carry location and not have to think....K? Where is my gun...should you ever have to use it.

If you are local....SLC/Ogden area...your more than welcome to drop by and we can get your questions answered for you...even if you get leather from another maker. No worries.

Shoot well and god bless

I agree 100% with Eric - train with what you carry - always. Otherwise, under stress you may reach for your gun in a place that you are not carrying it, and may not get a second chance to draw...

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I recommend visiting Eric and having a "discussion" about your needs. He's very knowledgeable and can steer you in the right direction.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Tucker Gunleather - Texas

Tucker Gunleather of Texas makes some very nice holsters that you might want to look at. Here is a link to their website and a picture of a compact Glock in their Pancake OWB holster:

Tucker Gunleather website

VIP Member
    I've tried a ton of holsters, now I own a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II for EVERY CCW I own! It's a great IWB holster and worth any wait to get it!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I too carry a Glock 23 as my primary gun, hands down the best holster I have found for this gun is the Bianchi Carry Loc, don't buy any holster until you check one out in person. Bass Pro had them in stock the last time I was there.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Eric - I sent you an email

Back at ya.......

Shoot well and god bless

Links