Looking for the perfect shoulder holster for Sig SP2022

Looking for the perfect shoulder holster for Sig SP2022

This is a discussion on Looking for the perfect shoulder holster for Sig SP2022 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long detailed post warning... There is no way any belt holster is going to fit on me in my car (tight sports seating). So until ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Looking for the perfect shoulder holster for Sig SP2022

Question Looking for the perfect shoulder holster for Sig SP2022

Long detailed post warning...

There is no way any belt holster is going to fit on me in my car (tight sports seating). So until I buy another truck, my only option is a shoulder holster.

For carrying members, I appreciate your read of this, I do have questions best answered by those with more experience than I have.

I did review the harness sticky at the top of this forum, and looked at the (really long) list linked in it. And a bunch of other reviews and makers on the web.

From a sticky in this forum:
    if you're a holster maker and someone has questions regarding your products in general, please answer their questions privately as to ensure that your posts are not viewed as commercial advertising.

If you are a holster maker and think you have a product which meets my needs as outlined below, please PM me. You have my permission. I do ask you to carefully consider my wants before responding.

Options for the Sig SP2022 are limited, so I am considering custom. I do have to consider budget, but not if it means buying junk.

What I'll carry:

- Sig Sauer SP2022 with 15 rounds Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +p JHP, 35.5 ounces

- Two (or three) additional magazines, same ammo, 10 ounces each

- For out of state travel, if local restrictions apply, I will carry 10 round magazines, which reduces the weight of each component by a little over 2 ounces (estimated). I still have to go try this ammo, and the equivalent Corbon. But whatever I settle on, I think the weight will be similar.

Do I need that many magazines? Hopefully never, just trying to balance left and right sides. Is balance important?

Placement:

- I'm right handed, so firearm under left arm, magazines under right.

- I am interested in vertical or strongly canted placement. In an OC environment, I don't want everyone behind me getting nervous with a horizontal placement. Also, my dog is behind me in the car, and the gas tank is just below him.

Holster Retention:

- The firearm is a Sig Sauer SP2022. It is DA/SA, no manual safety(!)

- I am looking for a thumb break with a 1-way directional snap release (or similar, but not velcro)

- With this firearm, I am not comfortable with any holster which relies on any pressure around the trigger -- or trigger guard -- for retention.

Are my retention concerns warranted?

Weight:

- I'm already looking at four pounds of hardware without the rig
    - Is two pounds typical of shoulder harnesses with holster and mag pouch?
    - How long has it taken others to get used to the weight?

"Flop Control"

- First, what is the right word or phrase? I don't want anything popping out of my clothes when I bend over

- I see four options:
    -- Relying on the cross straps in back
    -- A single belt loop on the magazine side combined with the cross straps
    -- A belt loop on each side
    -- An additional strap across the lower back, no belt loops
    -- Belt loop secured rigs may require purchase of an additional belt

I like the idea of not having belt loops, but then my pants still stay up without suspenders; I don't need the help. Do belt loops restrict movement? Is "flop" a significant problem? Is anyone wearing the Andrews Leather Monarch (see next section)? Does the additional strap really remove the need for belt loops?

Two tentative Candidates (for maker, quality, and features):

- Andrews Custom Leather Spring Break holster combined with Monarch Shoulder Rig (has lower back strap, no belt loops, trigger is exposed in holster)
    - Alessi Field Master holster combined with Bodyguard shoulder rig (vertical, trigger covered, 1 belt loop on magazine side, possible second loop on field Master holster? Can't quite tell from pics and description)

- Neither is "perfect", but they give a good starting point for refinement
    - These two candidates might be able to custom build what I want, are there other options?

Again, if you are a maker, please respond by PM. Everyone else I look forward to your comments in this thread.

I am ready to purchase, but need input to decide on what to buy. Budget is pushing me towards plain, but I would try to stretch for a small amount of artistic tooling.

Thanks in advance!

I've kicked around getting a shoulder holster for my Sig 226. Have it narrowed down to Andrews Custom Leather and Mitch Rosen
    http://www.mitchrosen.com/products/h...lder-holsters/

I think either one would be great.
    DogWalksWithMe likes this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

You're right, too many queries in a single post. If we cut through that maze and focus on your requirement for a vertical style, then it becomes much easier. Then we have to ignore budget and assume your wallet will make that choice for you.

There are no verticals that don't have to have the muzzle attach at the waistband somehow. Otherwise the holster tries to follow the pistol during your draw. Offside mag pouches are valuable to balance in a horizontal for a heavy pistol but not so useful in a vertical. If you want a thumbreak you're unlikely to find it in a modern vertical, but if you manage to, avoid directional snaps there as they have a proven ability to be jammed shut in that location. There is nothing about your pistol that says one should be concerned about pressure near the trigger guard -- say a spring closure -- unless it can contact the mag button; that can leave you with a dry pistol after the first shot.

The alessi Fieldmaster is called that for a reason: it's a field holster because it is quite bulky. It's a copy of Gaylord's 1950 design and require the strap release just to keep it from rotating open under the gun's weight. DeSantis also makes this holster.

Likely, as a first purchase, you'd be best off to start with one of Galco's verticals. Either a new one or an older one from eBay. Their quality is good and they only copy the best designs. Few of the little makers know how to design excellent verticals because, unlike a horizontal which is little more than a belt holster hanging from a harness, there is a lot to know about how to make a vertical behave.
    Holster designer since 1968

Too much info to touch on everything, so I'll only advise on one point: Your argument for a vertical rig, your weapon is not going to discharge from the holster, this is somewhat akin to the ever present AIWB safety debate, "I don't want the gun pointed at my junk". If it's holstered in a properly designed holster fitted to that gun then discharge from a holster is moot. Handling the gun is different.

I would advise to research and reconsider the horizontal rig as it is the best option for concealed use.

I own an Galco MC II for my Sig P 229. I use it very infrequently, not a shoulder holster fan.

Red does mention Galco, their shoulder rigs are a good choice for cost/design/materials. Maybe not the best for a dedicated Shoulder rig, carrier, but they work well and are nice enough for the occasional user who can afford one.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    narrowed down to Andrews Custom Leather and Mitch Rosen
    Thanks for another specific option.

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    You're right, too many queries in a single post. If we cut through that maze and focus on your requirement for a vertical style, then it becomes much easier.
    LOL, I've got 3X as many pages of notes, that post was my attempt to cut through my maze.

Then we have to ignore budget and assume your wallet will make that choice for you.
    A $40 pair of New Balance "walking shoes" last me 6 months. A $200 pair of shoes designed for walking last me 5 to 10 years. I've found quality is less expensive over the long haul.

[A bunch of great information to think about, and the following particularly valuable information]

The alessi Fieldmaster is called that for a reason: it's a field holster because it is quite bulky. It's a copy of Gaylord's 1950 design and require the strap release just to keep it from rotating open under the gun's weight. DeSantis also makes this holster.
    Hmmm, OK, thinking.

Likely, as a first purchase, you'd be best off to start with one of Galco's verticals. ...
    Sadly, Galco does not make seem to make one for my firearm. Galco looked like the best first candidate for something off-the-shelf. There are some others on Amazon in the sub-$50 range which might last long enough for a custom to arrive.
    matthew03 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    ... Your argument for a vertical rig, your weapon is not going to discharge from the holster, ... If it's holstered in a properly designed holster fitted to that gun then discharge from a holster is moot. Handling the gun is different.

I would advise to research and reconsider the horizontal rig as it is the best option for concealed use.
    For the firearm in the holster and decocked, you know it, and I know it, but in an OC environment, some soccer mom behind me doesn't know it.

As to handling it, I see the highest risk point occurring when I place it in the holster (dog and gas tank). I am scrupulous about not wrapping my finger around the trigger until I am on-target. I do think it would carry better horizontally, conceal better, and draw better too if ever necessary. And cost a bit less too.

"I don't want the gun pointed at my junk"

Might that fall under "situational awareness"?
    Last edited by DogWalksWithMe; August 22nd, 2015 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Replace passive voice "it is placed" with active voice "I place it"
    matthew03 likes this.

Surprisingly, there's a blue gun of your exact pistol readily available from Rings. So someone will be willing to build for you.

But good luck finding that same someone who also knows how to make a great vertical vs a good horizontal. Gravity does virtually all the work with the latter so it can be merely good. But gravity works against a vertical, and so requires a great design to make it actually carry comfortably, securely, and concealed.

I doubt there's any living small 'custom' maker who knows how, much less for a special pistol. I myself am strictly a designer these days, not a maker. You could try John Bianchi at Frontier, though if you mention my name you'll likely just piss him off :-)
    Holster designer since 1968

I have a couple shoulder holsters- vertical and horizontal. The old vertical works well. The horizontal is made by Galco for 1911 style pistols. A full size 1911 would bulge when sitting in a vehicle but a compact 1911 worked perfectly. Conceals well and draws well. The only time i would generally wear a shoulder holster is if I was sitting in a car for hours on end with surveillance. It was more comfortable than a belt holster and was quicker to draw, if needed. I always like two mags on the opposite side to balance everything. IMHO full size pistols don't work very well in a Miami Style (horizontal) unless you are a really large person- thick through the chest.

I have a vertical from armory express outlet for my Glock 20 that I like a lot for a vertical. (note I prefer horizontal for shoulder, but that's my preference). They make a quality product but as others have said I don't think a vertical will work right without the belt tie downs.

Hate to throw another option at you but it's the only vertical I have first hand experience with.

Many things need to be considered in finding the right holster for a person's needs. However there is not a "perfect" holster since "perfect" is speculative and dependent on several things. While a holster may be right for you, it is not going to be perfect.

I agree with you on having a good balance and two mags in my shoulder holster creates a nice balance.

Most important to me is having the gun secure in a holster, soft leather for comfort, and a good fit for my torso. I found all this in a Galco Miami Vice shoulder rig. Yet I have a bucket load of holsters that was said by others to be the best there is and I found they were not.

Perception of one person may not be the experience of another.

The flip side of this is a person can spend hundreds of dollars and never find real happiness but only satisfaction.
    matthew03 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

New Member Array SiliconSorcerer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Too much info to touch on everything, so I'll only advise on one point: Your argument for a vertical rig, your weapon is not going to discharge from the holster, this is somewhat akin to the ever present AIWB safety debate, "I don't want the gun pointed at my junk". If it's holstered in a properly designed holster fitted to that gun then discharge from a holster is moot. Handling the gun is different.

I own an Galco MC II for my Sig P 229. I use it very infrequently, not a shoulder holster fan.

Red does mention Galco, their shoulder rigs are a good choice for cost/design/materials. Maybe not the best for a dedicated Shoulder rig, carrier, but they work well and are nice enough for the occasional user who can afford one.
    I also have a Galco MC II for a Sig, the Sig's the P229 is my favorite (in the normal line excluding like the P210), so I purchased a P224 since it's the concealed carry P229. Anyhow I looked at a lot and without spending a pile of money I don't think you can do better.

Galco has a horizontal as well, I'm just not convinced you can wear a horizontal without the optional tie downs.

I haven't had it to long but I expend when the weather changes to wear a lot more if nothing else with a t-shirt and another "normal" shirt over the top. I rarely tuck in my shirt anyhow but I actually have done that as well with a couple buttons open and it works fine in public and doesn't print with the shirt even tucked in.
    I'm not big but not small I guess, 6'3" 200 lbs.

The reason I even considered this more is the IWB/OWB issue I have but I'm going to ask that question in a more appropriate place.
    matthew03 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array michael t's Avatar
    "There is no way any belt holster is going to fit on me in my car (tight sports seating)"

If tight in side bolsters how adding a couple inches in width going to help I drive a 1996 300 zx and can carry a commander 1911 IWB 6'2" 270 lbs

I have a shoulder holster name brand with a full-size 1911 not comfortable for all day. Use my Defender in it almost live able for a day. I have owned both types and never found one comfortable

Why would you open carry a shoulder holster . Then worry about what some soccer mom thinks. Wouldn't matter to her how you carried if she offended by guns

I think you have so over thought this That theirs going to be nothing that will make you happy. Buy a smaller pistol and ankle carry or AIWB

One thing people don't think about with shoulder holster or cross draw When drawing quickly under stress you are sweeping across a human approx. 2' wide You will very likely miss 1st shot as passed the body and have to recover . When drawing from the hip you are moving up the body approx. 6' and a shot little early or late still likely hit
    someplace
    jwilson904 likes this.
    come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994, Colt Officer ACP 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Belleview Detonics

I will vouch for Miami Classic shoulder holsters. Mine are horizontal so the muzzle will point to the rear, but they are a very comfortable means of carrying. I have carried a 5" 1911 and also a Beretta 92 in a Miami Classic and they both "poke" out the back and print, but a 4" 1911 carries very well. The 92 is carried most often in a Bianchi X-15 but that doesn't have mag carriers on the opposite side. Maybe someday I will have an Andrews Custom shoulder holster.

I drive a Mazda Miata and have the same problem! I do not like the 'spyder harness' style that is so common now, as they tend to ride up my back. I intend to use the JR Roscos leather shoulder holsters (J.R. Roscoe Handmade Leather Shoulder Holsters), they look good and do not use the spyder harness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links