Defensive Carry banner

The Cant Factor

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  hankrearden2005 
#1 ·
I do not and never have liked IWB - just me! I always use OWB 3 to 3.30. I am tho keen to always have some cant .. preferably quite generous ... seems to suit my draw and also allows for gun grips to stay almost above the gun muzzle - thus decreasing printing by showing butt thru my shirt at back.

Many folk like vertical I know, and yet even for IDPA I still want cant.

This rig is a Brit made ''Horseshoe Leather'', in fact made for Govt 1911 but is just great for my BHP - cant is absolute minimum I can like - but seeing as this beaut' rig was given to me - who am I to complain. Worked well for IDPA last year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the first rig I got for my SIG 226, a Dillon - here we have quite good cant, and draw is just great. Rig holds gun tight to me ... printing is no problem. I have since got a K&D rig, even nicer and quite ornate, that is being broken in right now, cant is similar.

Here, my SP-101 rig ... a very well made copy (also by K&D) of my original Jim Burke rig. This cant is superb - suits this gun great. Sadly Jim (Paris TX) died not too many months after I bought the original rig from him in Dallas - thus my wish to have a copy and perpetuate his design.

I also use Fobus and Kydex rigs sometimes - again, with quite generous cant. So - how do others view cant? Like it - or not?

See less See more
#3 ·
I prefer a slight cant to my carry rig. The one on the right is my favorite carry holster. I have one for my full size 1911 and one for my Kimber CDP Compact.

#4 ·
I prefer a slight cant as well. Easier to grip at times with my damaged hand. As you stated, it is also much easier for me to conceal as I tend to be slighter in build (5'8'' 160lbs). I am currently leaning away from Kydex and towards leather OWB. (I just took the plunge and ordered a custom from Sam Andrews, and cant wait to try it out!) The only IWB I use is the Comp C-tac, and I like significantly more cant with that one, not sure why, just "feels" better I suppose.

#5 ·
acp' ... those rigs look very nice ....... an acceptable cant for me.

I do tend to avoid rigs with retention straps generally - as long as the rig holds gun well, that is enough. If anyone gets close enough to want to try and ''relieve'' me of my piece, then my situational awareness will have been sorely lacking!

#6 ·
Jacob Lee said:
I just took the plunge and ordered a custom from Sam Andrews, and cant wait to try it out!
Jacob, which holster did you order? Just curious/

#7 ·
acparmed said:
I prefer a slight cant to my carry rig. The one on the right is my favorite carry holster. I have one for my full size 1911 and one for my Kimber CDP Compact.
I do like the one on the right. The cant may be a little less than I normally like but I do like that design really well. I currently have no OWB for my full size 1911, but need one. :smile:

#8 ·
Bumper - Andrews Hybrid Saddle Style Holster. The BEST, most comfortable method of carrying (OWB) a full size 1911 I've found in 30 years of carrying. End of Speech.

#10 ·
I like to cant my pistol too. I use either a Strong leather 3 slot holter or a blackhawk IWB nylon usually. Seems an angle to the gun is more comfortable and easier to draw for me as well.

#11 · (Edited)
Matt Del Fatti

Since Matt Del Fatti Is A Fantastic & nice Guy ~ I'll post this here from his site & provide the direct link to his RAKE determination page (from his web site) which also includes a helpful chart to determine the degree # of your correct or preferred RAKE angle...which I will NOT post here.
Your only obligation is to look at his AMAZING holster photos & spend some time on his MOST INTERESTING web site.
You will learn everything you ever wanted to know about what makes a true custom holster like a "Del Fatti" so incredible & worth the extra $$.
Visit his site & check out his selection of custom holsters. He is one of the absolute best true custom holster makers that ever lived on Planet Earth.

Customers frequently asked what rake might work best for them. They often refer to "the FBI rake". I have never read or hear anything that would indicate the FBI specified a particular degree of rake for their issued holsters over the years. "The FBI rake" is simply a shorthand version of saying "muzzle rear rake". The degree of "the FBI rake" is open to the interpretation of each holstermaker.
All Credit for the information displayed (below) Given To Matt Del Fatti.

For those customers who would like to find the rake that works best for them with the firearm they wish to carry, try this with a partner:

Slide a manila folder or similarly heavy paper about halfway down inside your waistband in the area where you will wear the handgun. Position the handgun under your waistband and over the folder with a rake of your choosing. Stand straight and still while your partner uses a pencil to mark the folder by tracing a line along the top of your waistband both in front of and behind the gun and along the top of the slide (the area between the front and rear sights) from just below the rear sight down to the waistband. Remove the pistol and the folder from your waistband.

Using a straight edge, connect the horizontal lines (they probably won't be in perfect alignment so try to average them for to create the straight line). Then extend the third "vertical" line so that it intersects the horizontal line. Use a protractor to measure the smaller of the two angles either above or below the horizontal lines. Then subtract that number from 90. The answer will be the angle of carry.

Matt Del Fatti CUSTOM HOLSTERS ~ CHART ~ CLICK HERE ~ Scroll Down The Page

MATT DEL FATTI ~ WEB SITE ~ DEL FATTI CUSTOM LEATHER Click Here

#12 ·
I generally like cant, but my Rafter S Gunleather holster for my Kahr K9 is nearly straight and I like it.

BTW, Rafter S has to be the best value in semi-custom gunleather. $143 for a sharkskin belt (the sharkskin is just an outer layer) and matching sharkskin holster is hard to beat. It's the only company that's gotten repeat business from me (I have one of their sharkskin holsters for my GP100).

Chris

#15 ·
''Talkative''?? nah ... that Chris as you have seen for months is chronic verbal diah........ you know what !!!

Usually step in with both feet, even when work needs done ... and sometimes forget to look where I am goin'! :tongue:

Later

#18 ·
Hey Guys!

I take a little different approach, since there are already several guys making really good holsters w/ a minimal or zero cant.
My IWB's are angled at about 24 degrees - this makes them draw about perfectly from the 4:00 to 4:30 position. On a male anatomy, there is usually a "hollow" over the right kidney, just below the bottom rib - this allows me to tuck the pistol's grip area into this recess so that a straight drop cover garment hides it completely without any printing.
Everything in concealment is a series of compromises, and this is no different. The downside is a slightly longer draw time, but the payoff is that you can carry a full sized defensive handgun (like a 5" 1911) and conceal it under a tee shirt in a hot climate.
The vast majority of my customers really like this approach, once they have goten used to it. However, everyone is different, and what works for one person will not necessarily be optimal for the next guy.

#19 ·
I like a 15 degree cant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.