IWB Carry and Muzzling Yourself

This is a discussion on IWB Carry and Muzzling Yourself within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have always been a pocket carrier and just this past week received my first IWB holster- a Alien Gear Cloak 3.0. The holster ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: IWB Carry and Muzzling Yourself

So I have always been a pocket carrier and just this past week received my first IWB holster- a Alien Gear Cloak 3.0. The holster is good quality and has a lifetime warranty and is very comfortable. I have found that carrying at 2-2:30 works best for me. The problem I am having with IWB is that when I sit down I am muzzling myself. I'm carrying a S&W SD9VE and when seated I am muzzling my leg. Even if I IWB carried in a different spot at some point I'm muzzling my rear or thigh etc. how do you IWB carriers deal with this? It's basically breaking one of the basic firearms rules- always point the muzzle in a safe direction...
    patri0t likes this.

If you were sitting and it was in your pocket, aren't you muzzling whomever you were sitting in front of? Whom or whatever your thigh is pointed at?

I carry IWB on my hip though, with a forward rake it points at the ground behind me.
    drift, rocky, leo_D and 1 others like this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    If you were sitting and it was in your pocket, aren't you muzzling whomever you were sitting in front of? Whom or whatever your thigh is pointed at?

I carry IWB on my hip though, with a forward rake it points at the ground behind me.
    The pocket carry does not necessarily require a suspension of the first rule of safe gun handling. Appendix carry does, at least when one draws or holsters.
    BritishAgent likes this.
    "Preparation and mindset are everything. Allowing one's mouth to write checks that one's butt is unable or unwilling to cash is foolish."

I am not sure about 2 to 2:30, I guess I could see where it might line up with your thigh. I carry IWB at 3 to 3:30 and the muzzle of my gun clears my body. If it went off it would probably burn me but the bullet would be clear of my body. I am 6ft, 170lbs. I also don't have an Alien Gear but I would think it would be the same. I guess it depends on your body type. Here is an example of a negligent holster discharge where the bullet did scrape his body: SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges! : ITS Tactical
    patri0t likes this.

Pointing the muzzle in a safe direction goes along with handling of the firearm (to point something requires an action on your part). Carrying in holster isn't the same.
    How do I deal with a muzzle pointed at my junk since I often carry appendix? I don't fondle it. Most times the muzzle isn't pointed directly at any part of my body carrying IWB, but if I pulled the trigger, I'm sure something bad would happen.
    How do I deal with it? I rule out the possibilities of the pistol firing all by itself. The mind rules. It is a non issue for me and I've honestly never been concerned with the possibility. Simply owning a firearm puts my life at risk in so many ways, shooting a firearm even more risks. Carrying a firearm is to save my life.
    jwilson904 and matthew03 like this.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

Unlike the Iwb thread that's running now, here I see plenty of good sense being expressed here. One post expresses the problem best though: those who muzzle themselves simply pretend it doesn't count! People make mistakes, pistols go bang, and the survivors are unforgiving even of the deceased.

We can't control all of what others do, but as with, say, smoking or anorexia or suicidal thoughts, we can certainly muster up the courage to say something. And the op is showing that courage to at least ask, "What's up with that?!".
    Holster designer since 1968

Distinguished Member
    I think that, if the holster is sturdy and covers the trigger completely, then the gun won't go off all by itself while it's just sitting in the holster. The trigger is covered, so it is safe. The risk comes with drawing and holstering. It's a good idea to practice drawing and holstering (with a clear, unloaded gun) in front of a mirror. When holstering, I shift so that my hip is sticking out a little, so the muzzle is pointed down and away from me. While it's in the holster, as long as you don't mess with it and it stays solidly in the holster with the trigger covered, it is not going to just go off on its own.
    UrsusMedius and SWIll like this.
    Never trust a person who doesn't love coffee, dogs, and rare steak. ~ Gimme's Life Rule #1

I pocket carry in my back pocket. I have never thought about muzzling myself, but thinking about it now, It could hit my leg when sitting. That said, I have a very good holster and I'm confident that the combination of that, and my lack of fondling will keep me from ventilating myself.
    “Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Sheriff Jim Wilson

To be a citizen you are required to stand up straight and tall as you can. To be a subject you are required only to kneel.

Hard to imagine a solidly-holstered sidearm constitutes a measurable risk of firing. Though, it's certainly worth considering. Can't imagine a slide or cylinder can move, holstered in a good one; though a firing pin impact could conceivably happen in situations where force is applied to the back of the gun.

Myself, I've purchased fairly solid holsters and can't imagine the risk being too great. Outside of drawing and holstering again, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    I carry modern firearms that are in perfect condition, in a manner consistent with avoiding negligent discharges. I have confidence that my weapon will not blow my boys off when properly holstered.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimme_Coffee View Post
    ......./snip/...... as long as you don't mess with it and it stays solidly in the holster with the trigger covered, it is not going to just go off on its own.
    Actually, 'drawing' and 'holstering' are both considered messing with it, also, as Zredwire posted: SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges! : ITS Tactical a holster CAN fire the sidearm when you are NOT messing with it.
    Drawing and holstering under extreme stress may also be an unanticipated variable if you ever need your sidearm in a life/death situation.
    Valid reasons to always obey the rules of gun safety and not to suspend one for the sake of comfort, budget or convenience.
    JoshJ10 likes this.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I most often carry AIWB. The holster, made for this by Appalachian Concealment, fully covers the trigger. It's very obvious to most anyone with any logic or spatial reasoning to guess where the muzzle points whether I'm standing or sitting. Still, I like AIWB for two simple reasons: my draw is much faster, smoother, and less noticeable, and there is just no printing at all through my tee shirts.

I'm very lean and can't hide much under my clothes. For IDPA I must carry at 3:00, and with some clothes I can conceal there with my Fobus paddle holster. But with tee shirts and light colored golf shirts, AIWB is simply much more concealing. And did I mention how much faster and less obvious draw is from AIWB? Yeah.

Finally, with AIWB I could draw from driving position in my truck, and 3:00 just doesn't work at all with my trucks seats or seat belts.

The safety concern? My finger isn't on the trigger until the gun is up. I really hope so. It's what I always practice.

My .02 worth.
    matthew03 likes this.

VIP Member
    Stop carrying at 2 - 2:30. Whatever, do as you like but 3-4 certainly reduces the exposure. With my build appendix carry is out of the question but somewhere between 3 and 4 works fine.

With pocket carry I remove the holster to reholster then replace in my pocket. That would be a pain with your Alien gear so I'd just move it back a bit. Solves the problem.
    michael t likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSS View Post
    how do you IWB carriers deal with this? It's basically breaking one of the basic firearms rules- always point the muzzle in a safe direction...
    I deal with this by not carrying that way. If it's not pocket carry, I carry at 3 o'clock.

The whole appendix carry thing bothered me, way before the unfortunate guy in the news last week who shot himself in the femoral artery and beld out.

Well, you are carrying a full size pistol. If you like the 2-2:30 position try 9:30-10 crossdraw.
    Just give it a try. Might amaze you.
    oldskeetshooter likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links