Vehicle carry options

This is a discussion on Vehicle carry options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok here is my situation... - I drive about 100 miles a day round trip to work. I do not make stops along the way. ...

Thread: Vehicle carry options

Question Vehicle carry options

Ok here is my situation...

- I drive about 100 miles a day round trip to work. I do not make stops along the way.
    - I work on a military base that says it is Ok to bring a handgun onboard as long as it is unloaded and the ammo is at least an arms length away.
    - I can not take my weapon into the building once I arrive at work.
    - I do not want to wear an empty holster all day.

Here is my question/idea....

- Since I dont want to wear an empty holster all day, I am thinking on leaving it in the console unloaded with the ammo in the glove box. I could lock it in a lock box and secure it under the seat.
    -I want it in the console while I drive, it would do no good to be in a locked box under the seat while driving. My console is a small arm rest that is just big enough to put my .45 in, I may need to fabricate something for it.
    -If I carry a round in the chamber (I am a strong supporter of carrying a round in the chamber), I will have to pull over before entering the base to unload.
    -If I were to do either of those, then I am stuck holsterless if I ever had to make a stop.

** Any suggestions or experience?????? **
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

2. Remove Ads

maybe something like a paddle holster that's easy on/off? When you take it off you can store the holster with the ammo in the glove box and gun separate in the console or just leave it holstered in the console. Kramer has the MSP paddle that gets good reviews and I believe Garrity has a nice one too (possibly Kevin at K&D as well). Is that the options you were looking for or did I entirely misunderstand the question?
    Jack

I was thinking paddle myself.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

While you are driving perhaps something like this (at the bottom):
    http://www.garritysgunleather.com/Po...tyHolsters.htm
    For those times you make a stop:
    http://www.imageseek.com/hbeleather/gallery/tuckable
    And to lock it up while at work:
    http://www.center-of-mass.com/
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

A paddle holster would be a good option. Steve48

You could use a Wilderness safepacker. Attach it to your seatbelt while you drive. If you want to carry when you get out of the car, you can attach it to your belt. It then looks like a kind of odd fanny pack.

Lightbulb A Suggestion...

I too, believe in keeping one in the chamber...but...

For the purposes of staying armed...in the car...

Why not carry...just in the car...on the way TO work...the mag in, but not having a round chambered? If you were to sense trouble, you could easily have time (in a vehicle) to rack the slide...not something you may have time to do on the street.

This would keep you armed, and would provide a quick solution when arriving at work. On the way home, mag in, rack it, and you're good to go.

Additionally, I use a Fist... IWB holster with a great clip...easy on/off...

Good Luck!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'd suggest an underseat gun safe. BassPro, Cabela's and other outdoor supply places have them. The fit under the driver seat and keep the pistol locked while your driving but can open easily with finger controls. I would recommend that in the situation your in, to carry the weapon Condition 3 (mag full chamber empty) and practice the Israeli method (which I tought all the troops in my platoon and at MP AIT when I was a drill sgt) which is grasping the grip and then the slide with the off hand and sling shotting the weapon and you press it forward. With this situation you can easily just dump the magazine out instead of messing with the weapon which might draw attention to you.

Good luck and have fun.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Thanks all for the replies.

I do think that a easy on easy off pancake would do the trick. Condition-3 going to work and condition-1 on the way home sounds good too. I will need to invest in a under the seat safe for during the day.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Links