Modding a Null SMZ

This is a discussion on Modding a Null SMZ within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got the SMZ for my Bersa 380. I really like the holster and its simplicity but am having problems with the offside clip. It ...

Thread: Modding a Null SMZ

Modding a Null SMZ

I've got the SMZ for my Bersa 380. I really like the holster and its simplicity but am having problems with the offside clip. It has a pin that sticks through the pants and in lightweight dress pants it starts to rip. It is also uncomfortable when moving in certain ways.

I know a couple of you on here have this holster. Do you guys think this would work:

I am thinking about trying to take the harness and having a loop of elastic put on it that the offside arm would go through instead of the clip. I think this would hold tension on the holster side and give me the ability to move easily. It would leave nothing attached to the pants.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I have one for my R9 but must confess I have not as yet fully exploited it so, not really found any problems as a result. I'd be hooking onto jeans mostly.

Looking at clip tho I can imagine you might have this problem. I think my fix would be to add a button to the area you wish to attach to on pants waistband and then exchange the clip for a leather or similar, "keyhole" flap that would engage over the button.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'd encourage you to simply contact Null, since I think he'd be happy to work at solving this with you...I'm one that thinks a product should work well without the need for home-cooked mods...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I will probably call them but I like to mess with things so I may try on my own first and just buy another if I screw it up.

I've thought about another way to attach it to the pants but would really like to have nothing attached to the pants. I may try a different holster system.

Same thought

I've got a similila problem with the SMZ I just bought. I normally wear a button up shirt over a T shirt, and I thought the shoulder rig would be a perfect way to carry my J frame. My complaint is that when I get the holster ajusted properly, because I don't have a collar to tuck it under, the support strap(offside) shows if my collar comes open too much. It also seems too tight to be comfortable when it's attatched to my belt. I considered the same solution, an elastic loop around the strongside shoulder. Keep us posted, as I'd like to hear of your results.
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

I found a sewing place that makes clothing. I was thinking of bringing it to them as they may know of a good way to attach the elastic to the foam like material the straps are made from.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I'd encourage you to simply contact Null, since I think he'd be happy to work at solving this with you...I'm one that thinks a product should work well without the need for home-cooked mods...
    +1, Ken L. null is a nice person and a great guy to talk to. Ken, knows about as much about holsters as anyone I have spoken to. I am sure he will advise you to bring the handgun up almost into your armpit. Let us know what happens. Regards, Richard

Links