Holster Molds?

This is a discussion on Holster Molds? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; yes they do if they can catch the yak....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holster Molds?

yes they do if they can catch the yak.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    The Blue Rings guns are very well made....and you can order them without the blue coating to is doesnt transfer to your holsters.

The red guns are ASP guns and are very sharp edged....you need to clean them up or they will cut you and your leatherwork.

As Gary said....if someone wanted to do the molds they could make a killing.....Duncans great selection and quality is a thing of the past...IMO.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Thanks for the informatiom guys. I always enjoy Holster Making 101.

Yak Fur!!!! I don't think that you've been taking your medication Eric.
    Tony

Well, it's something to keep in mind. Seems I remember you leather guys mentioning that is was difficult for the average Joe to order them directly, sort of like a restricted item. Don't really see the reasoning behind that but the prices don't seem too unreasonable if I somehow wind up with something rare and unusual.

Of course, after paying for the mould I'd guess you makers would still have to spend a good deal of time doing R&D for leather patterns. Coming from a fine arts and painting background, I'd be really surprised if you guys made more than 5 or 6 bucks an hour after taking the time invested into account. I don't see any of our guys making the Fortune 500 list in the near future.
    Jack

Well personally...most people who work @ mcdonalds make more than I do. And IM NOT KIDDING!

Now... when I call Gary...he has dancing girls I can hear on the phone once in a while! I also overhear his butler, named Guito, asking him is "there is anything else? Sir?" ...but he's gotta be the exception to the rule!

Ya...cough, right! Im kidding...

We all survive but you would really be surprised at how much money we dont make.

Um....er, Gary...would you mind if I borrow one of the dancing girls? Please?

And Realleycat.....You leave my meds out of this! IM JUST FINE!!!!!!!!!!

Shoot well and god bless
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; March 16th, 2007 at 08:29 PM.

rmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Hi again!

As previously mentioned, they are either cast aluminium, or polymer. The aluminum castings are made by a company called Duncan Customs, and as a rule are simply horrible anymore - although I did get one good one a few months ago. They run around $50, plus shipping.
    The polymer guns are made by Ring's manufacturing and are really well made and detailed - but the polymer is pretty soft and they'll leave blue residue in your holster if you are not careful. They run around $40. There is another company making "Red Guns", but I have no experience with them...

If someone has access to a foundry and could make good, clean aluminum castings, I believe they'd sweep the entire industry. There is a huge demand for such a product.
    There are a few small casting companies in the tri-city area , they may just be having issues with one of them . One of my cousens owns a pretty good sized casting company and he was approached by them a few years ago but he said he was to expensive for them . I don't know what they cost to produce or how many he sells, but if it is only for holster makers he probably does not have much volume. I know when I ordered a Rosen ARG for a P45 he asked me about Duncans and stated that he uses there molds . Sam Andrews told me he did also , I'm still waiting on my holser from him , hopefully it will be here soon

Quote Originally Posted by rmw View Post
    There are a few small casting companies in the tri-city area , they may just be having issues with one of them . One of my cousens owns a pretty good sized casting company and he was approached by them a few years ago but he said he was to expensive for them . I don't know what they cost to produce or how many he sells, but if it is only for holster makers he probably does not have much volume. I know when I ordered a Rosen ARG for a P45 he asked me about Duncans and stated that he uses there molds . Sam Andrews told me he did also , I'm still waiting on my holser from him , hopefully it will be here soon
    For me, the expense is the amount of time that I have to spend messing around with a Duncan dummy gun to get it into spec. I would gladly pay twice what they are selling for, if I could get a casting that I could use right out of the box.

rmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    For me, the expense is the amount of time that I have to spend messing around with a Duncan dummy gun to get it into spec. I would gladly pay twice what they are selling for, if I could get a casting that I could use right out of the box.
    I guess I didn't realize they were that bad . I remember there was an article in the local paper a couple of years ago talking about how they were selling them to movie companies . I guess i just assumed they had to be pretty realisic looking . I've never noticed any on display in the store but I have seen employees wearing shirts with a logo on them that says Duncan Customs and it was my undrestanding that it was refering to the custom dummy guns not real ones , but i could be wrong .

He's wealthy in spirit and even Wealthier because he has Remy!

I too would pay lots of money for a gun mold that was like I WANT AND NEED! Blue guns are as close as I have found in the last 5 years...and believe it or not...if I want to mold by hand, which some of my designs dictate anyway....Just the right Airsoft guns work like a million bucks.

Shoot well and god bless

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    He's wealthy in spirit and even Wealthier because he has Remy!
    +1! She's the best thing to ever happen to me!

HI Folks,

I realized after the fact that this thread had gotten way off topic, and I am to blame. Since I would delete the offending posts if someone else did it, then it is only right that I "moderate" myself and delete these as well. Please accept my apologies.

I don't think it drifted too bad - Reallycat's original question got answered, and then it drifted into a discussion about the various mold options available and offered a peek into the life of a holster maker, all of which is germaine to the original post (except for my little sidetrip into absurdity).

I think it helps us appreciate what you guys do. I think that we need an occasional reminder that you are skilled specialty craftsmen and that's why we are drawn to your product. You aren't a mass produced factory with a call center in Bangladesh, and we need to appreciate the fact that we get to communicate directly with a master craftsman and not abuse the privelege.

Cheers to you; Gary, Eric, Kevin, Nate, Steve and Della, Shannon, Bill and Rob, Tony, Andrew and all the rest of you that provide us the means to safely (and stylishly!) carry these guns that are so much a part of our heritage and our daily life!

How do you like them apples?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    I don't think it drifted too bad - Reallycat's original question got answered, and then it drifted into a discussion about the various mold options available and offered a peek into the life of a holster maker, all of which is germaine to the original post (except for my little sidetrip into absurdity).

I think it helps us appreciate what you guys do. I think that we need an occasional reminder that you are skilled specialty craftsmen and that's why we are drawn to your product. You aren't a mass produced factory with a call center in Bangladesh, and we need to appreciate the fact that we get to communicate directly with a master craftsman and not abuse the privelege.

Cheers to you; Gary, Eric, Kevin, Nate, Steve and Della, Shannon, Bill and Rob, Tony, Andrew and all the rest of you that provide us the means to safely (and stylishly!) carry these guns that are so much a part of our heritage and our daily life!

How do you like them apples?

Joe
    YA, What he said.................................
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links