Holster Molds?

Holster Molds?

This is a discussion on Holster Molds? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question for a Holster Maker. I'm pretty sure that you use a "Dummy" gun to form a holster. Is it possible to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster Molds?

Holster Molds?

I have a question for a Holster Maker. I'm pretty sure that you use a "Dummy" gun to form a holster. Is it possible to use a "Real" gun to do this, or is the process damaging to a real weapon?
    Tony

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I'm not a holster maker but yes you can use a real gun to make a holster. It is usually done when certain options are on a gun such as oversized sights or extra barrel length, compensators, etc.

Yes, an individual holster can certainly be made from an actual firearm. However, the process to produce holsters used by most makers involves the use of a hydraulic press, and that would destroy most firearms pretty quickly. For that reason, most of us use dummy guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Yes, an individual holster can certainly be made from an actual firearm. However, the process to produce holsters used by most makers involves the use of a hydraulic press, and that would destroy most firearms pretty quickly. For that reason, most of us use dummy guns.
    That would get expensive pretty quick!!!

What are dummy guns made out of?
    Tony

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Duncan Molds are made of solid Aluminum....but we use all kinds of molds......Blue, Red, Airsoft, blocks of compressed hair shavings..etc.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    Duncan Molds are made of solid Aluminum....but we use all kinds of molds......Blue, Red, Airsoft, blocks of compressed hair shavings..etc.

Shoot well and god bless
    Did you say "compressed hair shavings"? Please elaborate.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

As I understand it, master craftsmen like Eric and Gary are the go to guys if your EDC is a Khyber Pass Special and you need top quality leather for it.

The only problem is with the mold forms. If the original gunsmiths had access to modern materials like aluminum and polymer, well... they would have used them in the gun itself!

Hence, the only available mold guns are made from compressed yak hair. At least, it's supposed to be yak hair. It might actually be Aunt Parghunda's.

That's the word on the street anyway.

Joe

search the inernet for blue gun, red gun, training gun, gun mold, blue gun mold.. . you'll get lotsa hits but some of them should lead you in the right direction. If I have it figured right, the hydraulic press would ruin moving parts but the solid plastic / rubber molds don't have any of those so are unaffected. I don't have a press though and have never seen one in operation so I could be way off base.

Saran Wrap is your friend when using a real gun as a mold. You just want to limit the time it's being used as the mold though. The hydraulic press method by people in the business is probably incredibly time saving but it is possible to roll your own by hand with simple methods and simple tools.

The problem is, leather craft is an art. Holsters have all kinds of incredible features and performance that is affected by every little nuance of the design. Loops just off or just too far apart and it doesn't suck the gun in like it should. Stitch or form lines too tight and you can't get the gun out. Too loose and it won't stay in.

What I'd really like to see is a roll your own tutorial ;-) but that'd be like giving away free cows instead of selling milk.

I know several of the holster makers here have been very helpful in roll your own threads where someone has shown the product of their efforts and needs a little hint. I'd try Tandy Leather Factory near you... the one here offered to do a free basics class. It wasnt very good on design and etc for holsters but it was great for the fundamental steps. Then it's down to trial, error, and advice from people who have been there.

Good luck.

btw: the hair sounds like a red herring to my and the Khyber pass is notorious for back of the cave guns made by camel dung forges ....
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Well...my humble apologies. I was joking....the point being that I will stick anything in a holster to mold it as long as it is dimensionally correct for the weapon of choice.

Sorry....my sense of humor changes after being home with a sick 13 year old all week. Delirious is probably acccurate.

Great thread, God bless and shoot well.

Do they get the hair after "Yak Shaving Day"?
    -Biker

Yak, Yak, Yak!!!
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

See what I started......

Shoot well and god bless

So how much do the Duncan moulds run on average? Are we talking $30 or $300? I've thought at times that buying a mould of an uncommon/newer gun might make sense if it's something that holstermakers might not have in stock. It'd be nice to have the option of sending the mould to your maker of choice in order to have a holster made up - or at least to cover the cost of having a maker order one for you and adding the cost to your leather order.
    Jack

Actually Duncan charges 45-60$ each per mold...and adding that cost to a holster isnt common for, IMO, most of us to do. We will have it to use for others in the future to equal out the cost...unless its some super rare tweaked out hair brained mold....make sense?

Shoot well and god bless

Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    That would get expensive pretty quick!!!

What are dummy guns made out of?
    Hi again!

As previously mentioned, they are either cast aluminium, or polymer. The aluminum castings are made by a company called Duncan Customs, and as a rule are simply horrible anymore - although I did get one good one a few months ago. They run around $50, plus shipping.
    The polymer guns are made by Ring's manufacturing and are really well made and detailed - but the polymer is pretty soft and they'll leave blue residue in your holster if you are not careful. They run around $40. There is another company making "Red Guns", but I have no experience with them...

If someone has access to a foundry and could make good, clean aluminum castings, I believe they'd sweep the entire industry. There is a huge demand for such a product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links