3" 1911 IWB with a Thumb Break

This is a discussion on 3" 1911 IWB with a Thumb Break within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Its for my Kimber Ultra. I asked a holster question for this gun a week ago, but I have decided I want a thumb break. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: 3" 1911 IWB with a Thumb Break

Its for my Kimber Ultra. I asked a holster question for this gun a week ago, but I have decided I want a thumb break. Suggestions for something that does not have a 6 week backlog would be great!!!

Or what is your opinion of a thumb break?
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well...IMO, most....95% of all CCW permit holders who think they need a break really dont. A holster from a better maker will have enough retention to keep it where its supposed to be. I find that if your on horse back/hiking/4 wheelers...then a break may be necessary..but thats about all.

6 Weeks is pretty damn fast if youre having it made for you. Im out as far as 3-6 months......

If thats what you want and have to wait 6 weeks...you could be alot worse off.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

The Andrews McDaniel 2 mentioned on your other thread has an optional thumbbreak as well as an optional body shield.
    The fact that you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

I Repeat This Often...

See Fist, Inc...at 'Holster Sources' above...

Only a 3-5 week wait...good quality...reasonable cost...large selection/types...guarenteed or return it...

I have 2 doz+ of various Fist holsters...PM me for a phone number if you want to discuss them...

ret
    WHEC724 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Buy a top quality holster and forget the doggone thumb break unless you feel that there is some important specific reason why it's absolutely necessary for you to add an additional step in getting your firearm clear of your holster and onto your intended target ASAP.

Just my opinion that a thumb break is most useful on a "generic fit" cheap holster and never necessary for the typical citizen with a high quality daily carry rig.
    I personally would never buy a self-defense holster with a thumb break for my EDC firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    UBG holsters posts a less than 6 week wait. I don't know if he can or will do a thumb strap, but you can ask him.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

As it was put to me, if you are in situations that you may be subject to your gun being grabbed. Then a thumb break is a good thing. If you are concealing your gun you should not need one.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    The only thum break holsters I will ever use are made by Lou Alessi. They feature a snap which encloses the top of the weapon and all you have to do is draw the weapon to break the snap, whereas other thumbbreak rigs require you to break the snap with your finger which to me could get you killed if you forget to do it. Unfortunately, I don't think Lou makes that type of holster anymore.

I thought I would revive this thread...... as I'm looking for a IWB holster for an EMP .... and wondering two things.......

* Will the one's for a Kimber, also work with an EMP ?
    * Anyone know a good source with a decent price for one ?

And, you can spare me ...... I've used thumb breaks on different holsters thru many years, and there are some things a thumb break works better for than others where one isn't needed.
    There is too much bad information out there related to holsters with thumb breaks in my opinion, and they are one of the easiest things to use there is, so ... I already have MY opinion on them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I thought I would revive this thread...... as I'm looking for a IWB holster for an EMP .... and wondering two things.......

* Will the one's for a Kimber, also work with an EMP ?
    * Anyone know a good source with a decent price for one ?

And, you can spare me ...... I've used thumb breaks on different holsters thru many years, and there are some things a thumb break works better for than others where one isn't needed.
    There is too much bad information out there related to holsters with thumb breaks in my opinion, and they are one of the easiest things to use there is, so ... I already have MY opinion on them.
    No reason to think the EMP would be any different than other 1911 copies, for use with a thumbreak. The twin Swenson safeties (God bless old Armand, Colt stole the twin safety from him even with his patent) might cause probs with some makers; I see that Gene DeSantis has a very clever custom design that accommodates twin safeties, called the Cocked & Locked Thumb Break Scabbard:

image_preview.jpg

Might be a tad difficult finding a worthy IWB with a thumbreak, though. They are VERY difficult to do well, and I'd be unwilling to accept a "custom" addition of a thumbreak from a boutique maker who doesn't have his particular interpretation of one, fully field tested over the years.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Just a note at least on the thumb break side of the equation the EMP is shorter in the slide area than a normal 1911 setup, so a normal thumb break might work but it's going to be looser than it was designed to be. Now most are tight from the get go so that might not be too much of an issue, but add the fact that allot of companies design them for hammer down style carry and it might be loose enough it won't do you any good.

A well designed holster for a 3in. 1911 will at least in my opinion be close enough on all of the other dimensions to work well for ya, the EMP is just shorter from the front edge of the grip to the rear of the slide, and it's not a huge amount but off the top of my head I think it's a 1/4in. or so overall length.

So it's up to you but I wouldn't risk buying a rig with a thumb break built on a 3in. 1911 for an EMP, however without the break I wouldn't hesitate to pick up that a rig like that.

Take care!

Luke

Links