Holster for Springfield XD Subcompact 40

This is a discussion on Holster for Springfield XD Subcompact 40 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Newbie here from Tennessee, first time posting - love the site Taking suggestions, opinions, and thoughts on all types of holsters for the Springfield XD ...

Thread: Holster for Springfield XD Subcompact 40

Question Holster for Springfield XD Subcompact 40

Newbie here from Tennessee, first time posting - love the site

Taking suggestions, opinions, and thoughts on all types of holsters for the Springfield XD Subcompact

I am looking for a IWB and maybe a paddle

I have heard great things about High Noon - Split Decision and Crossbreed - Super Tuck adjustable

what do you think? if you have pictures - i would love to see them

Comfort is most important, price - lower the better, but I will spend some money for a good one

And if you have any DO NOT BUY ones please share those also

I am a little under 200lbs, and about 5' 11"

2. Remove Ads

Welcome aboard!!! My recommendation for an IWB for an XD Sub would be that you look for something with a closed muzzle (this feature is intended to eliminate the tendency for a short gun to poke you.)
    As far as a paddle goes, I generally do not recommend them at all - I've yet to see one that offers the concealment and security of a conventional belt holster.
    Good luck with your search - there's a lot of talent here, and I'm sure you'll get sound advice from some of our members. And again, welcome to CombatCarry!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The XD sub-compact's sure are getting popular. As usual, Mr. Brommeland's right (Of course!).

A "good" paddle (One that doesn't come off with the gun), are good for the range or special needs. I used to wear one in investigations at times.

A good OWB holster with be comfortable & concealable, but if you want more concealment, an IWB is good.

Personnally, I'd recommend UBG holsters, because of your comments. His wait times are short & he's relatively inexpensive, by custom maker's standards. In fact, his prices are very competitive with decent mass produced leather holsters.

Where are my manners...
    Welcome to CC & good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

For IWB the MaxCon V from Gary Brommeland is absolutely the most comfortable holster I've ever worn. I carry a 5" steel 1911 in one and it conceals under as little as a loose t-shirt. For OWB I've got an order in with Gary for a Def Con (for a Glock G19), I'll post pics as soon as possible. Can't really offer advice on paddle holsters, IWB and pancake style OWB work well for my needs.

There's a lot of talented holster makers here on the Forum and each offers something different. Finding the one (or more) that suit your needs/tastes is the fun part.
    Jack
    Attached Images
    Last edited by maclean3; March 20th, 2007 at 03:10 PM.

I received a UBG IWB for my XD9 service yesterday. Today is the first day wearing the holster, but it is not my first UBG holster. I would agree with cockedlocked01 in recommending UBG (Nates) work. His holsters are very comfortable to wear all day, reasonably priced and quick turn around times.

Heck I missed that this is both your first post AND you're from TN - Welcome to the Forum. There's quite a few of us Tennesseans here, what part of the state are you in?
    Jack

I agree with staying away from paddle holsters for concealed carry and I can also attest to the Max-Con V (Inside the waist band) as well as the Def-Con's that Gary makes. I have them both and are world class holsters, but with that Gary has a long waiting period. So first and formost I recommend Gary's stuff but know that it won't be there next week to use. http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/

Next I also agree with the fellas UBG holsters (Nate) is making some quality products. http://www.ubgholsters.com/

Another one I would recommend is Rhome's holsters, I have his stuff as well and are a great product for a very fair price. http://www.desbiensgunleather.com/

Really, we are blessed with great talent in the holster market and there is at least 8 more holster makers that I would recommend to ya but with this and the others will get in on the right path.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

me
    First off, Welcome, you can trust the holster makers on this site. I know they will all tell you if you have any questions they would tell you to call them and talk to them about it.

I have a holster for my M&P on order with Gary but dont overlook any holster maker on this site.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

tn

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Heck I missed that this is both your first post AND you're from TN - Welcome to the Forum. There's quite a few of us Tennesseans here, what part of the state are you in?
    Jack

From Jackson, but I am finishing up my last semester in college in Murfreesboro.

Welcome from TN.

Another XD owner not using the XD gear holster.
    Why do they even bother giving them away with the gun?

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have only had dealings with Kevin at http://www.kdholsters.com/ and Gary at http://brommelandgunleather.com/ Both offer outstanding quality and service. All of the holster makers here seem to truly care about their customers. So What I would suggest is that you phone a few of them and listen to the advice they give you. I will bet that you will hear the same basic good advice from all of them. Good luck and stay safe
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

XD40sc in a Crossbreed Supertuck:

Various other shots of the same combo:
    http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y77...sc/crossbreed/

I rarely wear mine tucked, but it's nice to have the option--most often when the temperature is considerably warmer than I anticipated when choosing a cover garment.

I replaced my clips with C-clips from Comp-Tac, because I sometimes need to remove my holster during the day--With those, I don't need to un-thread the belt, I can suck in my gut and rock the belt out of the clips.

jp2
    I love my IWB Dakota Defender from K&D holsters. It is tuckable, which is how I wear it 90% of the time, and it carries my XD40sc very comfortably. And the craftmanship is second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Another XD owner not using the XD gear holster.
    Why do they even bother giving them away with the gun?
    I'm a new owner of an XD-45, and I actually like the XD gear holster. It holds the gun securely, fits it perfectly, and is very fast to draw from.

However, it's not a concealed-carry holster. It's for open carry, or if you have a jacket on and don't care about "printing". I find it useful when taking walks in my neighborhood at night.

Remember, there are still a few states where open carry is legal.

Links