Where (on your person) do you carry?

This is a discussion on Where (on your person) do you carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ie: Strong side, owb, behind hip; or front of hip, iwb; or small of back, tucked in jeans? and why? I'm new at this and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where (on your person) do you carry?

Where (on your person) do you carry?

ie: Strong side, owb, behind hip; or front of hip, iwb; or small of back, tucked in jeans? and why?

I'm new at this and thinking IWB, behind strong side hip would be more comfortable and easier to keep concealed than front of hip, but it would be easier to be suprised and disarmed.

Front of hip for retention, but sitting down might be uncomfortable.

Cross draw for access while driving/sitting, but slower to draw than strong side.

Would appreciate everybody's $.02
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Between 3 and 3:30.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I'm left handed. Right now, I carry OWB about 8:30 to 9:00.

VIP Member
    I prefer IWB about 4:30. Its just easier to conceal for me and I find it comfortable. I also can get away with less clothing. If I know I'm not going to be taking my jacket off, I'll go OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    Between 3 and 3:30.

X 2, only way to go is the way you train.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Strong side, IWB at aprox 3:30/4:00. XD .40 S&W 4"

MikeV

Senior Moderator
    Smartcarry or IWB 3:30
    You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I carry strong side IWB at 3:00 using an FBI (15-degree butt forward) cant. There are several reasons Ive settled on this carry position after trying everything from shoulder holsters to pocket carry to belt clips on small guns to small of the back holsters over the years.

Some time ago I decided I had to have one mode of carry I used all the time that worked pretty well for the majority of the positions I found myself in (i.e., standing, seated at a restaurant, driving, etc). The reason for settling on one mode of carry is I know in a high stress situation I will revert to what Ive practiced (more on that later) and wont have the time or presence of mind to play where and how am I carrying my gun today.

Here are some of the reasons I settled on 3:00 IWB with an FBI cant:

1. Its a good natural position for me to draw from and the FBI cant allows me to get a better shooting grip on the gun before I clear leather than a straight drop does.

2. The FBI cant positions my gun so it nestles into my side better and conceals closer to my body.

3. The 3:00 position and the FBI cant minimize printing in the rare cases where I have to bend over. If I use a straight drop and/or position my gun further back, it makes a pretty noticeable bulge when I bend over.

4. The 3:00 position works well when Im seated. If I were to position my gun further back, it would tend to get trapped between the back of the chair and my back when I sit.

5. The 3:00 position works well while driving. When I fasten my seat belt, I make it a point to un-tuck my shirttail or other concealment garment from under the seatbelt before I do anything else. I can then easily reach between my seatbelt and the seat back to draw my gun.

I practice using my gun and everyday carry rig in defensive shooting simulations on at least a monthly basis. Ive found that when I change my carry mode and have to react in stressful situations, I instinctively revert to the draw-stroke Ive practiced most. When I have to think about where my gun is and how Im carrying it, it takes longer to deploy the gun and, occasionally, I fumble the draw.

So, I try to carry the gun the same way in the same place as much as circumstances will allow. My carry gun is a full-sized Kimber TLE 1911, and my holster is a Blade-Tech Kydex Ultimate Concealment Holster. This works for about 98% of the circumstances in which I find myself carrying a gun. As always, your mileage may vary.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

I use a miami classic shoulder rig for my 4563TSW and carry a KT 380 in left front pocket. Also have OWB for 4563 at about 3 o'clock.

VIP Member
    IWB 0430 HRS!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

7:30-8:30 IWB and right front pocket.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Strongside either right on the hip or just infront

I swap iwb and owb depending on time of year and where im going today ill be going IWB as im off to drs

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    It really depends on what you're carrying. Carrying concealed is a trade-off. The more concealed, usually the harder/slower to get the gun.

If the guns small enough (Kel-Tech's, Kahr PM's, Rohrbaugh's, etc.), then pocket carry is an option. You can't get much quicker than having your hands in your pockets, already gripping the gun if you sense something's up. The only problem with it, is when you're sitting.

For larger guns, generally anywhere from 3:00 to 6:00 (Talking right handers, sorry). It's really about comfort. As to speed, appendics carry is getting popular & is very quick. I have found that I'm quicker, with clothing covering the weapon, than at 3:00 or back. I can also get the gun while driving. The thing is, it may not be confortable for you. I found 12:30's good for me, but others have gone clear to 2:30 or so. For the most part, I'm talking about IWB. OWB is usually more comfortable, but usually harder to conceal with a cover garment. So what you wear is an issue, too.

Really, it's a matter of training, as to where you put the gun. Find a way to carry it, even shoulder holster if that's what fits your needs, & you train, train, train some more.

Good luck.
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; March 21st, 2007 at 12:06 PM.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    would be more comfortable and easier to keep concealed than front of hip, but it would be easier to be suprised and disarmed.
    You need to reassess your thought process on the issue , The "interview" or " boxers" stance is almost instinctual and in fact places the weapon ( when carryed strong side behind the hip )furtherest from an aggressor which is why it is universally used by LE as is strong side carry .
    I am not flameing you on this , just calling your attention to some false assumptions that you have made which can have an impact . I do carry other than strong side behind the hip occationaly , but i do it knowing the risks , and downsides of doing it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

First off, welcome aboard!

I always carry strong Side 4:00 to 4:30. Sometimes I add a pocket BUG as well.

Please feel free to give us a call - we do phone consultations for newbies (or anyone else who needs one) at no charge. 423.733.1779 Good luck!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links