Time it took to find the Right Holster

This is a discussion on Time it took to find the Right Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm really racking my brain here looking for what I think is the right holster for me. I don't want a drawer full of crap ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time it took to find the Right Holster

I'm really racking my brain here looking for what I think is the right holster for me. I don't want a drawer full of crap holsters I'll never or almost never use. Right now I'm thinking IWB for summer carry and will probably go to OWB in the colder months. How long did it take you guys out there to find "the right one" and how many holsters did you have to buy to get the right one?
    By the way right now I'm ordering what I think is an awesome IWB holster the CrossBreed, I think will be very comfortable for my Springfield XD9 subcompact.
    Last edited by Hoozyerdaddy; March 22nd, 2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added another few lines

Holster choice is like gun choice it has to fit you what i like and fits me well might not fit you

As for IWB I have not found anything more comfortable than a Brommeland Max Cov V

As For my OWB im wearing the most right now is a Stingray holster made by Rhome also a memeber here as is Gary that makes the MCV

Its taken me awhile and i really have to see soemthing in the design to buy it being a lefty it makes holster harder to get and sell

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    When I first got here, I read every word that everyone wrote about holsters. I have lived on a fixed income the past 2 1/2 years because of physical and surgery reasons. I did not want to get expensive holsters that were going to lay around with nothing in them. I read the master holster list a couple times, visited each site, and whittled it down to a half dozen. Then read and asked people thru private messages about the items they bought. In a word, I listened to the knowlege on this board and didn't buy just to buy stuff.

So far, I have dealt with UBG holsters, K&D holsters. The UBG I got late last year for my Bersa 380, and today, after 3 months, which was a VERY GOOD wait, the mailman brought 2 from K&D. Both of the makers do superb woprk. I am sure that the other makers on this forum do outstanding work, I just haven't gotten around to them(yet). More handguns will come to me, and more makers will get my money. If you or anyone reading this are looking for a holster, don't go out and buy lots of the cheapies only to let them sit in a drawer because something ain't right. Save up the pennies and buy a quality holster from any of the makers on this forum. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPPOINTED!!

Later today, I will post pics of the new leathers so everyone will see what they are missing.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Assistant Administrator
    Probably the wisest move is to invest in good custom leather . I think we all agree on that in principle.

However ......... so many variables re requirements, a person's shape, dress options - it really is hard as a third party to nail what will be right first time for others.

I have the famous drawer/box/bags full of rigs ........ some early choices were made before I knew enough about it all of course but some others seemed good choices, but once in use they just didn't quite cut it.

Best is probably most likely to be what costs a bit more - plus of course a good quality belt. Even so, you may not hit paydirt first time.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

pax
    One.

I bought one holster seven years ago, a Blade Tech UCH. It is still my favorite & primary holster.

You may all hate me now.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I remember saying the same thing... I didn't want a bunch of holsters either. I became a holster research junkie, yeah it was ridiculous. Even with such devotion I still have a box full of holsters. I have narrowed it down because I learned what I liked and more importantly what I didn't like.

I can't say go straight to a expensive holster maker for your first holster because if you are anything like me you don't know what you prefer and want your are going to find comfortable. Holster opinions are helpful in many ways but are also molded by perspective.

I guess the best advice I can give is to try and figure out what method you are reliably going to carry. Then try and look at some of the custom holster makers. Cheap holsters work for awhile and you can manage, but after the hype of your new purchase is over you will really start to feel the inadequacies of cheap quality.

Also there is never one holster that fits every situation. I know cause I tried to find it, despite what other educated CCW'ers suggested. Sometimes I stir through my box to find that holster that is right for the individual occasion.

I hope I didn't just confuse you more.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I started out using Bianchi, Safariland and Galco products which I used for many, many years but when Sparks came out with the VMII, I switched to their products. Now, I have a good mix (and a large amount) of leather from Alessi, Sparks, 5Shot, Garrity and Nossar. My favorites would be Alessi and Nossar who is a relatively unknown holster maker from Peru but his leather is absolute artwork in leather!

I went through several holsters over the course of about 12 years or so before I found my ultimate. For me, nothing beats the MaxCon V for comfort, stability, weapon retention and quality of craftsmanship.

Up until now the only time I used an OWB holster was for open carry while hiking or hunting, lots of Bianchi and similar holsters filled that role. I'm currently waiting on my first OWB that's specifically intended for concealed carry - Brommeland's Def Con (for a Glock 19). If anything can replace the MaxCon V as my all time favorite carry rig, I think it'll be the Def Con ... of course, I intend to order a MCV for the Glock as well but I'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    I started out using Bianchi, Safariland and Galco products which I used for many, many years but when Sparks came out with the VMII, I switched to their products. Now, I have a good mix (and a large amount) of leather from Alessi, Sparks, 5Shot, Garrity and Nossar. My favorites would be Alessi and Nossar who is a relatively unknown holster maker from Peru but his leather is absolute artwork in leather!
    I'm not familiar with Nossar, got any pics?
    As a general recommendation for IWB carry, I'd suggest looking at an offset loop design. It spreads the weapon's weight and footprint over a wider area and makes for more comfortable carry than the older Summer Special style holster. Also, get a true gun belt that's designed to carry the weight of a weapon and reloads without twisting, rolling down or sagging. Good ones can run anywhere from $50 to $100 or more but it's money well spent and it will last several years if worn every day.
    Jack

me
    I got some good advise from folks here. So far I have 2 Uncle Mikes, 1 per gun as cheap holsters to use until I got/get my holster I want to carry with. I have a cheap pocket holster for my Kel-tec which is working well. I also have a Max-Con on order wich I am sure I will love.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

i think i got kinda lucky. i read about 'the drawer', where various holsters, pocket folders, etc, are banished to in favor of upgrades. i think i got it on my third try (with holsters). i started out with 2 cheapo uncle mike's IWB sheaths, one w/strap, one w/o. they were ok, but not too comfortable. i found the minimalist from bianchi, and i lovelovelove it. i doubt i'll get another for my current CCW, unless it's a custom.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    I'm not familiar with Nossar, got any pics?
    As a general recommendation for IWB carry, I'd suggest looking at an offset loop design. It spreads the weapon's weight and footprint over a wider area and makes for more comfortable carry than the older Summer Special style holster. Also, get a true gun belt that's designed to carry the weight of a weapon and reloads without twisting, rolling down or sagging. Good ones can run anywhere from $50 to $100 or more but it's money well spent and it will last several years if worn every day.
    Jack
    Try this: http://www.nossargunleather.com/catalog.htm

I have several right holsters but you can never have enough holsters!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Fo my G27 the "right" OWB holster is a Bulman THR. I found that IWB is just plain uncomfortable so I sold my VMII.

I like a zero cant at 2:00 and the THR was the one that fit the bill. That or a Bulman CAC ankle holster.

kpw
    I pretty much stuck to Alessi or Davis for a long time. I've gotten a few others in trade here and there but that was about it. I don't know if Gordon Davis is making holsters anymore and Lou Alessi is a pretty busy guy. I thought I'd try a couple new to me makers so I ordered from UBG and I got great leather at a great price, very quickly. I'll order from him again. I also ordered a little something for me from HBE that I'm trying to forget about for now. The list of makers I want to try is growing daily and my wallet isn't. The right holster is a tough question but I do know that everyone should have one Alessi in their lifetime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links