Back-Up Gun Holster

This is a discussion on Back-Up Gun Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought a Bersa Thunder .380 for a Back-up Gun and maybe primary Gun. I am thinking about getting a small of the back holster ...

Thread: Back-Up Gun Holster

Back-Up Gun Holster

Just bought a Bersa Thunder .380 for a Back-up Gun and maybe primary Gun. I am thinking about getting a small of the back holster for it as a back-up gun but my question is since I am right handed should I get a left or right handed holster. My main carry is a 1911 in an inside the pant holster on my right side since I am right handed. So, I am not sure if I want the left or right handed small of back holster. Comments and suggestions please

2. Remove Ads

Try a pocket holster in the front weak side pocket. It works very well for me.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I usually carry a P3at for backup and am having a combo mag pouch for 45acp with the rear being a holster for the P3at made by 5Shot. That way I have it readily accessible and don't have to dig in my pants or a coat looking for.

I'd stay away from SOB carry, too easy to cause yourself an injury, should you fall on the gun. I like the mag carrier & Keltec BUG holster combo idea.

I would go for a pocket holster or a off hand holster

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Stay far far away from a Small of Back holster. To many cops and others have ended up paralized due to cuff cases and guns being worn at the small of the back (aka SPIN). Worse location I can think of to place a gun and most custom holster makers dont even make a SOB holster due to liability.

Pocket carry or ankle carry (and vest when I was in uniform) are the locations I have carried back up guns with quite successfully.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    When I was a copper I carried my back-up left hand draw. I'm right handed. The idea was that my gun hand might be occupied hanging on to my primary. I practiced left hand drawing and shooting with the BUG and man, was that an eye opener!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Actually, we will make anything that will work...or at least I will. SOB carry isnt really discouraged as a liability thing. The plain truth is that "I didnt make him buy that holster and it was his choice, let him try and sue me for that! Good luck"

The main problems with SOB carry really isnt the risk of injury in falling on the holstered weapon. But a couple of other things......
    1) Its plain damn uncomfortable! When you sit you either have to scoot away from the back of the chair or sit like you have a board up your ass! Good luck trying that if you are driving for any length of time.
    2) Unless properly trained by someone who actually carries that way and knows how to draw from the SOB location, you can sweep yourself and people around you when you draw..and under the stress of an actual combat situation..you run the risk of shooting yourself in the buttocks.

If you want an SOB holster order it for the hand you draw it with. This buy a left handed holster for right hand SOB carry...never did compute.

Im a firm believer in pocket carry....the Bersa isnt too big if you find the right holster and the right pockets.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I absolutely, positively will NEVER make an S.O.B holster for anyone, under any circumstances. I consider the entire concept to be highly dangerous, and want absolutely nothing to do with it.

Eric, don't kid yourself into thinking you can't be sued for the use of one of your products. The mind set today, NOBODY is ever responsible for their own stupidity, carelessness or other obvious dumb ***** behavior that causes them an injury. It had to be some elses fault. I've seen product liability cases of all kinds brought against manufacturers and retailers, and many seemed to be ridiculous , but they still went forward and cost a bunch of money to either defend of make some sort of settlement.

WHY do you think there are all those warning labels telling folks to watch out for the obvious. Like, don't use the blower dryer in the shower or tub. You can bet, if someone is injured while using one of your SOB designs, they will most definitely sue you. Sure, they chose it, they asked for it, they used it. BUT, you as the holster designer / maker had superior knowledge and failed to warn or protect them will be argued in some lame fashion They may not win, but the cost of defending yourself could put you out of business. Just a word to the wise my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    ...WHY do you think there are all those warning labels telling folks to watch out for the obvious. Like, don't use the blower dryer in the shower or tub.
    Must be why it cracks and sparks like that......won't do that again!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well....Ok! Ill have to consider admitting defeat on this one....Its a shame the world has come to a place when a lady sues Mc'Ds for hot coffee and wins.

I guess Im just old fashioned in the regard that I take responsibility for my actions. If I make a holster that a client wants and it functions perfectly but his own stupidity gets him killed...I honestly dont see how I could get sued for it and lose. Its like buying a car and then the guy gets killed in an accident after driving it off of the lot...and its the car dealerships/manufacture's fault?

But might I digress....I keep forgetting that Ive actually seen our Judicial system at work.

Good point!!!!!!!

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    Well....Ok! Ill have to consider admitting defeat on this one....Its a shame the world has come to a place when a lady sues Mc'Ds for hot coffee and wins.

I guess Im just old fashioned in the regard that I take responsibility for my actions. If I make a holster that a client wants and it functions perfectly but his own stupidity gets him killed...I honestly dont see how I could get sued for it and lose. Its like buying a car and then the guy gets killed in an accident after driving it off of the lot...and its the car dealerships/manufacture's fault?

But might I digress....I keep forgetting that Ive actually seen our Judicial system at work.

Good point!!!!!!!

Shoot well and god bless
    Eric,

Just make sure you are incorporated. Get sued and clsoe the doors. Then re-open with a new name. Also, protects personal assets.

"I practiced left hand drawing and shooting with the BUG and man, was that an eye opener!"

So did you improve? Do you carry anything that way now? I'm sorta thinking about trying it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hayley View Post
    "I practiced left hand drawing and shooting with the BUG and man, was that an eye opener!"

So did you improve? Do you carry anything that way now? I'm sorta thinking about trying it.
    I improved but I never was that good shooting left handed. It really takes a lot of practice.

It's been a dozen years since I wore a badge and I no longer carry my BUG left handed.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links