How many Mexican carry?

How many Mexican carry?

This is a discussion on How many Mexican carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We've all done it from time to time -- shoved the pistol in our pants when there is no holster available. But how many of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many Mexican carry?

How many Mexican carry?

We've all done it from time to time -- shoved the pistol in our pants when there is no holster available. But how many of you regularly carry a pistol without a holster? And if you do, what's the trick to packing a revolver that way? You see it in the movies (yeah, the MOVIES ) but in real life it always feels like it's slipping south.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've used shoestring carry before. Basically, you take a piece of paracord, shoelace, or leather lacing, about a foot long, and tie a bowline on each end large enough to get your belt through. Once you get your belt on, you should have a loop of cord hanging down from your belt. Flip the loop up against you, and then insert your pistol between your pants and the loop (IWB), which lies against your body. There should be just enough space between the knots to let you fit the barrel and trigger guard of the gun through the loop. Any more, and it won't help you any. Done right, according to the friend who first showed me how to do this, "You can do jumping jacks and nothing is going to move." I've only done it on rare occasion, and never condition 1. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Some of the old timers used to wrap rubber bands around the grip to keep the revolver from dropping down the pants leg. And yep, I've carried a revolver many a mile just stuffed in the belt. Not the most comfortable or secure way to carry, but, yep guilty as charged!
    str1

I've often carried a 1911 using "Mexican Carry".

It's not the most secure way, but it sure is "handy". I've often carried a J-Frame using the Barami "Clip Grip" too. In fact, I have a set of them just waiting for when I need to carry my J-Frame that way again.

For wheelguns the rubber band trick works too. Personally, I like the Barami grips in the Appendix Position.

Biker

VIP Member
    Wouldn't that be "Undocumented Worker" carry?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I've done it in a hurry to get out the door before, but I'd never do it on a regular basis. Just tempting Mr. Murphy & fate to have a dropped gun or AD, should the trigger get contacted.

But Magnum NEVER dropped his gun or had an AD, oh yeah TV.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    LOL!

Assistant Administrator
    IMHO - it is potential bad juju .. in as much as an insecure firearm is inviting problems, and maybe when least wanted.

If a gun is small enough then pocket is good ... if large then holster or super large coat pocket.

Stuck in pants I'll leave to the ''gangsta's''

Concession perhaps ----- at home, no rig on belt ... stuff piece in waistband/belt to answer door. Beyond that tho walking around out and about - could be tricky.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    if you are making the assumption that all undocumented workers are Mexican, but maybe the Chinese, or Nigerians have a different style of carrying without a holster. of course you could just duct tape it to your back like Bruce Willis did in DIE HARD.

I used to drop & hook in a yard(semi-tractor trailer) in the wee hours of the morning after the docks were closed up. The first thing I did was place my bulldog in my right back pocket. It was more readily accessible while I was cranking the landing gear. Here's a link to a good thread we had a little bitback.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...=mexican+carry
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

An ex-LEO friend of mine carries his S&W 9313 SOB without a holster. I chide him about it but he's as stubborn as a mule.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Depends on what type of pistol/revolver you carry. Glock---->No
    H&K or 1911----->Yeah(emergency purposes only)

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter1 View Post
    Some of the old timers used to wrap rubber bands around the grip to keep the revolver from dropping down the pants leg.
    Hey now I aint THAT old and I have rubber bands around my wheel guns....but yes it does work and the only weapon I have carried "mexican style" is a snubby.

BTW the phrase was made popular by Col Cooper after he went down below the border to train special officers with the Mexican Federalas and 90% of them carried their 9mm/45ACP 1911s stuffed into their pants.

The string meathod was and is tought during some special unit training. I first remember it being instructed by a former OSS officer who stated that he used was taught it before being shipped into Germany during WWII. You can ditch a pistol but undoing your pants to ditch the holster just didnt work well when running from the gestapo. Have used the shoe string meathod and it does actually work.

One final statement. The fastest one shot from concealed carry was done by a Philippino assassin who was arrested before he could do the hit. He (and others of his clan) train from childhood to carry a 1911 hanging from their neck on a strink in condition 3, draw the weapon from under a loose shirt, rack the slide and engage a target every effectivly in under a quarter of a second. Still wish I had kept that copy of the video tape of that incident.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    NEVER! Especially with my Glocks.

And I don't like that slide clip thingy either!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Not something I do. Just doesn't secure enough and the last thing I want to hear is a "clunk" on the floor of some grocery store.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links