Holster fit: S&W Recon 45

This is a discussion on Holster fit: S&W Recon 45 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's the best way to find a holster that fits a rare pistol? Go to a store and try various holsters made for various models ...

Thread: Holster fit: S&W Recon 45

Holster fit: S&W Recon 45

What's the best way to find a holster that fits a rare pistol? Go to a store and try various holsters made for various models of pistol? Surely someone knows what is compatible with the Recon.

I found that the Galco COP 3-Slot for the S&W 5906 seems to fit very well, but since they don't make it in lefty it does me no good.

I'm kinda leery of ordering a good lefty holster without knowing for a fact that my pistol will fit well in it. Haven't found anywhere yet that makes them specifically for the Recon.

Thanks,

Dale

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertramp View Post
    What's the best way to find a holster that fits a rare pistol? Go to a store and try various holsters made for various models of pistol? Surely someone knows what is compatible with the Recon.

I found that the Galco COP 3-Slot for the S&W 5906 seems to fit very well, but since they don't make it in lefty it does me no good.

I'm kinda leery of ordering a good lefty holster without knowing for a fact that my pistol will fit well in it. Haven't found anywhere yet that makes them specifically for the Recon.

Thanks,

Dale
    give Gary Brommeland or one of the other custom holster makers hereabouts a jingle. They should be able to tell you what it would take to get a holster and maybe even what is similar.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well...any S&W 3rd Gen auto with the same frame/slide size will work for it. Its a std size gun...........Hope that helps.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

The Recon 45 and Shorty 45 are the same as a S&W 4516 and will fit any leather for this pistol. Most makers can make this holster for you.

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    The Recon 45 and Shorty 45 are the same as a S&W 4516 and will fit any leather for this pistol. Most makers can make this holster for you.
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Wasn't sure the differences in the slide would make a difference between fitting in a 4516/4513 holster or not. Well, as long as it's an open-bottom holster too for that 1/2" of muzzle. ;)

Thanks again,

Dale

Generally, barrel length is the key question with Smith holsters. So the same 45 holster with same size barrel will work. The only cavate is if the holster has a thumb break snap the DAO vs DA/SA can be different.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links