Toss-up for leather IWB holster

This is a discussion on Toss-up for leather IWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having trouble deciding between one of the four following holsters for IWB carry. I currently have a leather/kydex combo IWB that can get the job ...

View Poll Results: Which holster do you recommend for IWB?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Max-Con V

30 42.86%
  • VM-2

22 31.43%
  • Canute

12 17.14%
  • In-Cognito

6 8.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toss-up for leather IWB holster

Toss-up for leather IWB holster

Having trouble deciding between one of the four following holsters for IWB carry. I currently have a leather/kydex combo IWB that can get the job done, but I'm trying to find something more comfortable. I'm also not all that happy with the spacing of the clips as they interfere with the belt loops on my pants.

The holster will be used mainly during warm weather carry (in shorts) as I have a OWB for cooler weather carry when I can tolerate a cover garment. Body description: 5'11", 220 lbs, 48" chest, 38" waist, and would prefer to carry around the 3:30 position to avoid the pelvic bone causing discomfort.

The four I'm considering are:
    Brommeland Max-Con V
    Milt Sparks VM-2
    UBG Canute
    Garrity In-Cognito (with suede backing)

For those that have experience with any of the above, can you tell me:
    1) How is the spacing in the belt loops? Does it cause any positioning issues because of conflicts with the belt loops on your pants?
    2) How good is the holster for one-handed reholstering? I would like to be able to reholster without adding to the "confusion" by having to introduce another hand.
    3) How is the comfort in a sitting position (think restaurant booth, driving, etc)?
    4) What's the level of concealment under an oversized t-shirt or Hawaiian type shirt? Please rate on a scale of 1-10 (1-completely exposed, 10-completely invisible).

Thanks for the input!

2. Remove Ads

I own 3 VMII's for different weapons and like them a lot,but others have not, for IWB carry I prefer the holsters with wings spreading the belt loops or clips apart for me it's more comfy. 5'11" 250 w/42" waist so we are about the same size if possible see if friends etc that have holsters will let you try theirs for a day, ( hope you have nice friends ) and yes one handed reholstering is easy with them.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    If I wasnt a maker...Id have a hard time choosing this style of holster also. It seems every maker that is making good holsters is doing a version of this particular design.
    They simply work..................

Shoot well and god bless
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; March 29th, 2007 at 12:40 PM.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

If anyone has other holsters with features similar to those listed, please PM me so that I might look them up.

Max Con V gets my vote I have only tested one of the others holster on the list and wont us a MS again

First off, what type of gun are you going to be carrying? The gun itself has a lot to do with concealability and comfort.

Of the 4 holsters you've listed, the only one I have experience with is the MaxCon V. I can honestly say it's the most comfortable holster I've ever owned or worn. While I haven't tried the VM-II, I did have a WS which is similar to it w/o the reinforced mouthband. While it was a good holster, I personally feel the MCV functions much better for my needs in terms of comfort, stability and concealment.

1) How is the spacing in the belt loops? Does it cause any positioning issues because of conflicts with the belt loops on your pants? I wear jeans everyday and it's never been a problem. The wide offset loops are a big part of why it's so comfortable. I've posted plenty of pics of my 1911 w/MCV, both on and off, just do a search for my posts and "Brommeland."

2) How good is the holster for one-handed reholstering? I would like to be able to reholster without adding to the "confusion" by having to introduce another hand. Again, I've never had a problem with that with my MCV.

3) How is the comfort in a sitting position (think restaurant booth, driving, etc)? Sitting? Hell, I regularly take naps while wearing mine! Along with being able to adjust the holster's position on the belt if it's not exactly where I want it, the rear loop is a tiny bit bigger than the front. If I'm not mistaken, Gary designed it that way specifically to let the wearer "rock" the holster forward while seated.

4) What's the level of concealment under an oversized t-shirt or Hawaiian type shirt? Please rate on a scale of 1-10 (1-completely exposed, 10-completely invisible). I'd rate the MCV an easy "10" provided the shirt has sufficient "body" to it. I carry an all steel, 5" 1911 Mil-Spec in mine and I can make it disappear under a Large T-shirt (I usually wear a Medium).

Not trying to detract anything from the other holsters you've listed, this is just what works for me. I also have a COM3 for my S&W 642 from Eric Larsen of http://www.hbeleatherworks.com and it too may be something to consider. I've worn it many times and forgotten it was even there, it'd also rate well in the criteria you've listed. Pics are also onthe board here somewhere, just search for COM3 posts by me.

Jack

I voted for the maxcon v as I have one and it is truly a comfy and secure holster...BUT.... for the life of me, I dont understand why Lou Alessi's PCH is not on the list, it too is as good as any out there in the IWB catagory....It and the MAXCON V both meet all of your criteria and then some....good luck...
    Lloyd

Eternity is a long time, do you know for certain where you will spend it?

VIP Member
    I have a Max Con V and now a UBG Canute....both are stellar holsters; very concealable and extremely comfortable.

People who own the In-Cognito and VM-2 have all commented on how great those holsters are too.

I also own a number of Eric Larsen's COM 3 and a single DC Special holsters (four total) which are also exceptional and I also recommend.

You can't go wrong with any of those holsters...they are all fabulous designs made by master craftsmen.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Hate to confuse you any further but I prefer no loops...I find the stiff ones a bit bulky and on my jeans they do interfere with my belt loops...my favorite belt attachment is the slotted pad...solid, flat, and fits where I want it...

Quote Originally Posted by fhqwhgads View Post
    Body description: 5'11", 220 lbs, 48" chest, 38" waist, and would prefer to carry around the 3:30 position to avoid the pelvic bone causing discomfort.
    I have similar build: 6' 215 lbs so we're pretty close build. I carry 4:00 range behind the hip.

Of the holsters mentioned- I own MCV for Glock19 and find it comfortable and very concealable- more hidden than any other holster for summer carry.

I haven't tried the others but I like UGB and they've had good reviews on our forum. Hope that helps!
    Kyle

Loveleather...nice nice nice holster. Delfatti IWB/WR is as nice as they get. I love the idea of a slotted pad and works both IWB and OWB.

Shoot well and god bless

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Thanks....and it works nicely BPB as pictured for those times I over indulged...

By the way, you make some really nice rigs yourself...

Well thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it...I love Matt's stuff. I just got off of the phone with him. Hell of a nice guy!

Safety...my guess as to why the PCH isnt on the list is its a stacked loops design of IWB...much different than the dual offset loop styles the poster is posing questions about. Just a different design. I got to see a PCH in person just last week and its a very very nice holster.

Shoot well and god bless

FYI, it'll be carrying a XD40 sc.

Limiting the discussion to the ones you asked about, I'd say the Brommeland, hands down. Purchasing one puts you in contact with two fine people, Gary and Remy, and that, plus the craftsmanship, makes the wait worth while.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links