Stuck on some holster lingo.

This is a discussion on Stuck on some holster lingo. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi. So, I'm looking at holsters on the net and I see a few I like but then it's not just a buy now type ...

Thread: Stuck on some holster lingo.

Hi.

So, I'm looking at holsters on the net and I see a few I like but then it's not just a buy now type thing is it?

Belt size? Not sure what to choose here, I do usually wear the same belt but what if down the road, I get a different one? What's the rule of thumb here?

Attachment - belt loop or J-hook? Which one seems to be better? I would think the belt loop is more secure.

Cant agle - 5, 15, or 20 degrees? Now, this is the angle of the gun..which is the best? If I plan on carrying at about 4 o'clock, what should I pick?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Paul
    NRA Member
    C&R FFL holder

It's pretty much a matter of the better the holster the longer the wait! There are some exceptions - some of the newer makers have gotten really good, but haven't acquired the backlog of some of the more established names. What with the rapid proliferation of CCW, everybody good is getting up to at least 3-4 weeks lead time.

In theory, a holster for a 1.5" belt can be worn on a 1.25" belt, but most people will tell you not to do it: the holster is not as stable.

Belt loops are definitely more secure. J-hooks really rely on the waistband of the pants, so they don't have near the support that a loop, or a standard clip does. A few makers offer a C-hook that functions much like a J-hook, but has a lip over the top of the belt to provide some additional support. Some like 'em, some hate 'em YMMMV.

I cant recommend what angle to carry the gun. Get it? Cant - angle... jeez, tough room! Anyways, cant is definitely a personal preference kind of thing. Generally, the farther back you carry, the more grip forward the angle is. Also, longer pistols will require more cant than you can get away with with short barrels. I carry at about 16:30 usually, and like about 20° cant. Helps tuck the grip in line with the hollow of the back.

A few makers like www.tuckergunleather.com and www.fist-inc.com make quality holsters with an adjustable cant. Fobus is also a usable temp holster while you're waiting for your real leather to come. Their roto-holster is cant adjustable.

Cheers,
    Joe

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Joe pretty much covered it.

I'd say 20 degrees at 4 o'clock. Loops over J-hooks. It also depends on your build: waistline, arm length, dexterity, etc.

In general, 15-20 degrees should do just fine.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Ill take a shot at this....just my opinion for what thats worth?

Belt size? Not sure what to choose here, I do usually wear the same belt but what if down the road, I get a different one? What's the rule of thumb here?

Well...there are two measurements for size..length and width. Measure an existing belt for an accurate measurement. Its ALWAYS the rule....if you have a 34" pant size, then your actual waist size is closer to 36"! No kidding. Width for gun belts is 1 1/4" for more casual pants with smaller loops and 1 1/2" for those jeans guys, jeans typically have wider loops. Either size will support a gun if you get a good belt.

Attachment - belt loop or J-hook? Which one seems to be better? I would think the belt loop is more secure.

Belt loops are more secure if they are solid/permanent loops or have oneway snaps. J hooks are a great design, but take into account...and I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!! K? All of the weight of the holster/gun is taken by the pants. NOT THE BELT! If you have on lighter pants..the holster CAN sag far below the belt line..making the hooks and belt an none functioning part of the equation.!!!!!!!

**Regardless of what style of belt attachment you choose...clips/hooks/loops etc. Make sure the weight of the gun and holster are supported by the belt and pants.

Cant agle - 5, 15, or 20 degrees? Now, this is the angle of the gun..which is the best? If I plan on carrying at about 4 o'clock, what should I pick?

What works of most people...NOT ALL but most is 15-25 deg's of cant @ 4.00....but that works for you will really come through wearing different gun /holster combinations over time.

Just a note about adjustable cant holsters...I really think they are great for figuring the correct cant for your gun/carry position when you are figuring that stuff out. After that...I see no real reason to change what works for you.

There are a few designs that are adjustable to the degree you can change them from Strong side carry to a Cross Draw and if they work without loosing any strength or retention, then thats a good design and I like those.

Shoot well and god bless
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; March 31st, 2007 at 12:13 PM.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

The only thing I can add is this; If you value your car's seat covers, try to stay away from any kind of clips, particularily the ones that clip over the top of your belt/pants and protrude out at the bottom. They have a well earned reputation for sheading everything that they come in contact with.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

I've found that 1.5" belts are best for carry and for general wear. I don't like J hooks 'cuz they just dont have a positive grip on the belt. A 15 degree cant will give you an almost vertical grip positioning which is better for concealment and is a good angle for grasping the gun at the 3 - 4:30 positions.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Mainspring....good point. Ive actually started hitting the edges of the clips I use with sand paper to get rid of the sharpness. And they are very sharp.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    Mainspring....good point. Ive actually started hitting the edges of the clips I use with sand paper to get rid of the sharpness. And they are very sharp.

Shoot well and god bless
    Back when we made a clip on holster, we had to polish every single clip on a buffing wheel before putting it on a holster. What we finally realized is that the clips were just so entirely inferior to leather belt loops that we discontinued using them altogether.

I tried to dull those edges, but it jus wasn't worth it. No matter how round it is, it's still a very thin piece of metal, and when you grind in into something soft, it will win. I use Bianchi IWB holsters with those clips, but only to clip the holster to the pocket of an open top bag for easy access while seated in a vehicle. When I dismount, I holster the weapon in a real holster attached to my body.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Just got my first IWB...has a j-hook, and it kind of sucks. Holster won't stay at a constant angle, and the hook is still visible anyhow. (Fact is, I just don't dig IWB...but I'm still going to replace that J-hook with something a little more secure....)

pax
    Matt Del Fatti has an excellent tutorial about how to select the perfect cant & belt size for you. It's at

http://www.delfatti.com/webdoc20.html

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

have you considered velcro clips and a velcro patch on your belt?
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Sponsored Links