Opinions wanted on new Tuckable?? Please?

This is a discussion on Opinions wanted on new Tuckable?? Please? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive been wearing and building tuckables for a long time..over 13 years. Ive designed a couple that are my own design...which is actually pretty hard ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted on new Tuckable?? Please?

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar

Opinions wanted on new Tuckable?? Please?

Ive been wearing and building tuckables for a long time..over 13 years.
    Ive designed a couple that are my own design...which is actually pretty hard in this day of great makers coming up with all kinds of very very cool and functional stuff...everyday.

Gary...I already know how you feel about tuckables. Tell Remy hi.... :D

This is my DC Tuckable....its extremely thin yet strong enough to last for years. The spring clips can be worn under or over the belt as they have a hook on the lower part of the spring that actually grabs the pants and remains very secure. Because its thin it actually bends to the radius of the body where its worn. The springs are also an offset design making it very thin where the gun is held and the location of the springs makes it extremely stable. Its has a body shield and no type of reinforced mouth..as I wanted to keep it very thin.

This design allows you to tuck your shirt in at least 2" below the belt line..which if you have worn tuckables before, will know is a nice thing to have.

Those nay sayers who dont like spring clips have yet to try these out.
    Your pants will come off before these will let loose of what they are grabbing onto.

I want honest opinions.....if it sucks, then tell me! If you think its a fairly good concept, then thats cool too!

Shoot well and god bless
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; March 31st, 2007 at 10:51 AM.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Just like any CUSTOM holster maker that has a good rep here, I would venture to say this product is top notch. I would buy it just because of who you are and knowing that your rep here is awesome for making quality products. All-in-all great design i love the way it looks, and those clips look really strong
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Hey, you stamped your name on my holster!!! W T F???

Just kidding. You know I like it.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Jarhead....I would expect none the less from you!

Shoot well and god bless

I like your holster

I think your design makes a lot of sense. I agree with the direction you took on two controversial points - reinforced holster mouth, and leather or steel belt loops/clips.

The usual objection to the non-reinforced holster mouth is that the mouth will close when the gun is withdrawn, making it tricky to re-holster with one hand. But the only time this is important for a CCW holster is when the owner is playing a gun game or practicing his draw, in which cases he will be doing a lot of re-holstering in a short time. In actual CCW use, the drawing of the gun is so rare - to respond to a threat - that reholstering is the least of your problems. If you deal successfully with the threat and are still standing, you will have lots of time to re-holster while waiting for the police to arrive. Or you might not want to reholster at all, but rather lay your gun down in a visible spot for the police to see.

As for the leather vs. steel belt loop question, the steel attachment is actually thinner and stronger than leather, and will last longer in use. And I believe that thin black steel is less conspicuous than leather loops, making your concealment easier. I prefer steel, and think you made the right choice there.

Well thanks for the kind words.

I agree completely with the reinforced mouth vs non reinforced. After you have your draw/presentation down for a certain weapon/holster combination and your comfortable with it.
    Its not really a necessary thing to have, at least on my leather.

If I ever have to draw my weapon in a defensive situation, the last thing Im worried about is putting my gun away!

There is a time and place for all belt attachments...I love leather but this spring clip design simply works. So I use it....

This design was prototyped and R&D'd by some of the most critical guys / clients I have. They dont like spring clips or tuckables and wanted there opinion. It tucks in tighter to the body than other designs and hides well. The usual blowsing of the shirt is needed as with any tuckable holster but this design needs less than other designs I have in my lineup. In actual field testing it was evaluated by SWAT Officers and others as well. These guys are not new to quality leather, having DelFatti, Garrity, Alessi and other top quality makers and the feedback has been positive thus far. I still have a couple out for further feedback and will let you guys know what the final conclusion is.

Shoot well and god bless
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; March 31st, 2007 at 12:57 PM.

Reholstering ability is more important for LEO's than for citizen CCW's.

My complaint with IWB holsters of this genre, or which I have two, are that my fingers are too fat to get the shirt tucked down beween holster and pants and into the pathway behing the clips without the fabric being all wrinkled and sloppy. I keep hoping for a rugged tool (like a shoehorn) to push the shirttail down into that narrow space and that can be carried in the pocket. The deeper tucking space of this new clip design is admirable, but begs even more strongly for such a tool.

Tuckables don't work for me. My names has burl in it for a reason (burly)!

Nice holster.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

You great master were can I get mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Well.... jofrdo, maybe I can make you a pocket holster for your tuckable holster tool? Just kidding.....

Shoot well and god bless

Looks good Eric! The only clip holster I've used is Alessi's Hard Shell Talon for my J-frame. I like the ability to clip onto the waistband and hide the clips under the belt. At the same time, the kydex clip uses teeth to hold it in place and over time that can be hard on the pants material (shredded waistband). It looks as though your clips hold by gripping the material between smooth surfaces so that problem appears to be solved.

Question: If the clips are gapped wide enough to use on a thick gunbelt, when worn underneath and clipped to the pants do they cause an obvious bulge underneath the belt?

As far as the tuckable option, I guess for some folks it'd be nice to have. I wear my COM3 tuckable quite a bit but I've only tucked it in once and that was for pics to post here - 'course, the dress code for us retired folks is much more relaxed than in most jobs so I rarely need to look "professional" these days.
    Jack

SCW
    maclean3- I just picked up said holster today and will take a few pictures to answer your question.

The spring clips don't have "teeth", but they do have a "tooth" that will grab fabric. They are also quite strong little suckers, lots of spring tension. It will be somewhat difficult to remove or attach the holster one-handed until the fat guy (me) gets used to it and the holster breaks in a little. I don't know that I like the idea of the smooth or "toothless" clip, there is too much chance of the holster going with the gun during removal of the gun. Running the belt over the clips would help, but I'm pretty sure with this design one would not have to wear a belt and still have acceptable service, although maybe not as comfortable. The holster won't move though- period. It looks like the belt can be worn either over or through the clips, through space becomes a premium under the clip with a thick belt.

I talked with Eric for a while when I ordered this peice and showed him what I had been working with, a Galco Deep Cover for my wife's Kahr K9. It is a tuckable IWB, but the clip is a very small J-hook that does NOT keep the holster from tipping (cant-wise) through the day. Not only does this holster spread the load over 8 1/4" (for my 1911), it also has two clips with enough stiffness built into them that I don't depend NEARLY as much on the belt for support.

Also today I ordered a single-spring clipped holster (Eric would have to tell you the model name, I don't remember) for the Kahr. Even with the one clip, the 'tooth' should provide plenty of grip to keep the holster from tipping, assisted by the wide clip and a belt.

I'll get some pictures tonight of the rig. I also got a belt and will include that in the pics-

Thanks,

Shane

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Well Eric ya know I aint no fan of a tuckable, but that rig looks well made. My only thought is if you put the clips under the belt will they hold on a draw? Not to worried about re-holstering that much, but maybe a 2nd layer of leather around the lip would make it a little less likly to colapse.

Remember I aint no holster maker, just a user of them and heck you make great gear so just consider the source of my comments.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Hmmm... well if you can send it to me I will put it though it's paces Looks great, but I have never tried a tuckable. That is the problem with holsters. You dont know how it fits ro works out until you buy it first..
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

SCW
    Fed_, I can guarantee that regardless of the location of the belt the clips will hold the holster. To get them to move you must pull them open to release the tooth from it's grip. It helps if you push the holster down before you pull the clip out, it grabs that much.

Here are a couple of shots of the holster (and new matching belt).

Belt inside the clips-

Belt outside the clips- This definately shows a little more 'bulge' but it tapers much better than the considerably smaller Galco I use with the Kahr K9

Pardon the green tint to these two pics, I have trouble with the white balance on my digital camera. I'll reset the balance and re-shoot, but here it is in the mean-time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links