Shopping for Paddle w/ Retention

This is a discussion on Shopping for Paddle w/ Retention within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually carry my Kel-Tec P11 9mm in a Galco pocket holster. But, whenever I go into a restaurant that serves alcohol I have to ...

Thread: Shopping for Paddle w/ Retention

Shopping for Paddle w/ Retention

I usually carry my Kel-Tec P11 9mm in a Galco pocket holster. But, whenever I go into a restaurant that serves alcohol I have to switch to open carry (Virginia’s law prohibits concealed carry there). I have a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. IWB holster that allows me to open-carry, but it requires advanced planning because I have to unfasten my pants to get the holster on; not something I particularly want to do out on the parking lot or in the restaurant’s hostess area. I think I want a paddle holster that I can just slip on without a lot of hassle. Also, when I open carry, I get a little paranoid that someone could grab the gun, so the holster needs positive retention, but retention is secondary to the primary requirement of ease of putting on.

So, those are the requirements. I’ll tell you what my shopping has uncovered, but I’d appreciate your feedback suggesting other manufacturers and models that meet my criteria.

Fobus advertises one that’s “developed in Israel” (whatever value that adds) that is “self-locking’ with no need for thumb breaks. Does anybody know what they mean by self-locking? Is the retention affective? I like their low price.

Tucker makes a leather paddle with an optional thumb strap. It's a little pricey compared to Fobus, but you only go around once, and the optional stamping designs are attractive, too. I have to remember that this holster will be visible to the public so I may as well look good.

DeSantis’ NYPAD is a nylon holster with thumb break that meets my criteria and splits the difference pricewise between Tucker and Fobus. It’s nowhere as pretty as a Tucker.

I think I’m talking myself into the Tucker. I already have a Tucker IWB “Answer” for my Glock 23; very comfortable and high quality.

Another interesting paddle comes from Comp-Tac. It has two locking tabs to add stability by anchoring under the belt, although it does not offer positive retention.

I look forward to page after page of your recommendations.

2. Remove Ads

I offer a paddle holster at K&D Holsters. It has some degree of adjustability. You can adjust the cant - vertical, crossdraw, forward cant - and you can adjust it for the size belt you're wearing - 1.25", 1.5", and 1.75". (You can also slide the paddle down inside your waistband.)

Base price is $60 + $5/shipping. For a very reasonable cost, I can get pretty fancy with it - be it tooling, other designs, exotic skins.

Good luck to you in your search.

Very tempting paddle indeed, but I don't see it on the KD site. ??

VIP Member
    Get a Blackhawk CQC SERPA holster. It has a retention device and interchangeable paddle and belt loops.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhaw...op-paddle.html
    Last edited by srfl; March 31st, 2007 at 06:47 PM.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by mike56 View Post
    Very tempting paddle indeed, but I don't see it on the KD site. ??
    You can view it here: http://www.kdholsters.com/basefile/owb-defend.html.

I myself just ordered a Desantis NYPAD, main reason is I insist on a very high ride paddle holster to conceal under a waist length jacket. Desantis also has the Viper, but I don't believe it's availiable for the P11

Another paddle I was considering was the Aker Flatsider Paddle w/Thumb Break, but this looks like it's a special order for the P11
    AKER

Good luck!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Lead Moderator
    The Serpa is good, or Galco makes a paddle loc holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I use a Fobus paddle with a Glock 22 with reasonable success. With that big ole' gun, the rig is usually reserved for winter dress. It's a good rig though for what it is. The gun locks in pretty well, and while it's not a level 3 retention set-up, it's not going to fall out on the floor either. The paddle slides in easily, and comes out a little less easily. You sure can't beat the price to try one out. A P-11 would carry a lot easier than my G22.

For a leather rig, I'd look hard at a Kramer MSP. It uses a leather paddle for easy in and out, with a snap loop for securing the rig to your belt. They will make it with a thumb break. I'd go with the horse hide.

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=25
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

I want to follow up on my original post. I just took delivery of DeSantis' NYPAD Paddle Holster w/ Thumb Break. It feels comfortable and it goes on so easily compared with an IWB. It will need some breaking in as the snap on the retention strap is hard to engage; it needs to be worked a few times to loosen up.

When I showed it to the wife, she asked the dreaded question "how much have you been spending on guns?" I truthfully told her that I stay within our agreed upon budget, so it didn't turn into an argument.

Fist makes a Jim Murnak designed paddle holster, the Fist #18, and has the option of adding a thumb break.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I have a Bianchi PaddleLok that's not bad, adjustable cant, & pretty quick on the draw. It was a great price, too (Free, we checked out their factory & they offered whoever had a Glock 36 a free PaddleLok). I kept it for my 19. It's a good driving & range holster, too, because of its easy adjustability.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Links