IDPA approved holsters?

IDPA approved holsters?

This is a discussion on IDPA approved holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking of shooting in some local IDPA matches this summer... went to the rule book online to make sure I had what I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA approved holsters?

IDPA approved holsters?

I was thinking of shooting in some local IDPA matches this summer... went to the rule book online to make sure I had what I needed... Now I'm not sure. I think my Beretta 92 will work, but now I'm not sure about my normal carry holsters. Plus, it looks like they do not have a standard list of approved holsters any longer, which makes it even more confusing to me...

Does anyone shoot IDPA? If you do, can you recomend a decent holster? I'd like to find something that would work for everyday carry too, but something that definetly would work for IDPA.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I just used my everyday carry IWB for my first match. I noticed that alot of the serious shooters there had kydex type holsters. I think that I am going to get a Fobus OWB holster just for IDPA matches. They look like they are easier to use.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I shoot IDPA and the rules are on the internet. Just google IDPA. However they are not too persnikity. The trigger hole must be covered and they don't allow trick holsters that flip open or could be unsafe. It can be IWB or any thing that you would wear that can be covered by a jacket or vest. No shoulder holsters or cross draws are allowed.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I just used my everyday carry IWB for my first match. I noticed that alot of the serious shooters there had kydex type holsters. I think that I am going to get a Fobus OWB holster just for IDPA matches. They look like they are easier to use.
    I do have a Fobus Paddle Holster that I use at the range, but it looked like that one was against the regs because it would give to much seperation between the body and the holster... unless I'm misunderstanding the regulations... which I verywell might be.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

VIP Member
    Your Beretta 92 will work. As for holster, get yourself a Fobus for starters and don't worry, it won't be the last holster you'll buy. If you have an everyday holster, do take your regular holster with you and check with an S.O. to see if it meets IDPA criteria. I shoot with mine because I am a firm believe of use the tools I carry everyday. That being said, I am planning on shooting IDPA w/ revolver (which I won't carry everyday) and I am waiting for my kydex from pistolpacking.com

Main rule of holsters for IDPA: It most hold your gun when turned upside down and cannot have a lot of separation from your body.
    Gao ahead and download The Rule Book. It has all the details you need
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

One word of advice: Train with what you normally carry. Otherwise, you'll create muscle memory patterns that can get you killed. Years ago, a friend of mine (who was firearms tactical trainer) showed me a tape from a surveillence camera in a bank. In this tape, there is a robbery going on, and the man centered in this particular segment was a LEO (an FBI agent, IIRC) who also happened to be an ardent IPSC shooter. When the BG tuned his back for a second, he raised his hands in a surrender position (just like in IPSC) and then slapped himself in the appendix position where his comp rig was usually worn. By the time he realized what he had done and went for his strong side carried weapon, the BG (probably alerted by the sudden movement) swung his shotgun around and fired a round right into the LEO's face. He was DRT.

Had he practiced something much more realistic than IPSC (or IDPA)he would have most likely gone for cover first (a concrete column was nearby, IIRC) and then drawn his weapon on the first try. No one will ever know for sure, but common sense will tell you that his chances for survival would have been much greater.

ALWAYS, always, always train with what you carry, and train in going for cover as you draw. I don't care who you are (Ed McGivern and Bill Jordan notwithstanding) you are not going to out draw a guy who has his gun already in hand. Not from a concealment rig.

IMHO, shooting games are counter productive to good street training. If you wanna have some fun and not develop bad habits - shoot bowling pins from behind differing forms of cover. It is a good shooting exercise and will not instill bad habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland
    ALWAYS, always, always train with what you carry, and train in going for cover as you draw. I don't care who you are (Ed McGivern and Bill Jordan notwithstanding) you are not going to out draw a guy who has his gun already in hand. Not from a concealment rig.

Wise, Wise words. The sad truth of "training games" is that in order to do better by games standards, there is always a departure from real-world use. Even (or maybe especially) with martial arts, they have gotten so "sportified" that their usefulness is, in many cases, way less effective than they could be. I treated a black belt who effectively blocked the scumbags first strike, countered with a good hit. Then stopped and waited for the judges to call his "point" and reset the fight. The scumbag didn't wait to counter and all it took was his next blow to land at the side of young Chuck Norris' (not) to daze him enough that the BG just pummeled him without further struggle. He lived, but he was a lot less pretty after that.

I haven't yet, but plan to try IDPA, but wouldn't think of using anything other that my everyday carry gear (gun too).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well as of last year there are no more "IDPA Approved holsters". They used to have to be looked at, tried out and approved by the actual associtation. This is no longer the case...if it fits the rules criteria, no negative cant etc....then its an IDPA Approved Holster.

Hope that helps..........Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Check with the guys that run the match. Unless you are planing to "compete" they may just let things like a non complaint holster in.

The place I shoot is very lax with the rules. Safety is the only thing they are hard nosed about. As they should be.

Shooting with what you will carry, is the best way to go.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Get the Fobus paddle and a double mag carrier, along with a minimum of three magazines, a cover garment, along with eye and ear protection. That will set you up to shoot in SSP with your 92. Loads of fun!! Just remember, it's only a game!
    str1

I read somewhere that the Blackhawk CQC holsters were not IDPA legal but after reading the holster section I see that they are. Thanks.

Late development-----------this looks like a heck of a deal. I ordered one for my SSP pistol!
    http://www.blade-tech.com/Combo-Pak-Special-pr-897.html

str1

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I wonder why everyone is recommending the Fobus holster for IDPA. You will be allowed to shoot a match or two with it, but as for our club, its not legal (and is disallowed at the state level also). I love the Blackhawk SPERA holster but it too does not meet the standards set forth, as there is to much room between the back of the holster and belt once the holster is secured to your belt.

Typically if you show up with what ya got, they'll atleast let you use it for a match or two (if its not within standards). Typically most belt holsters, in the pants holsters are legal.

Gary couldnt have given you better advice. Use what you carry daily. My only problem is that my work rig isnt allowed for IDPA but my off duty rig is, so I use my off duty rigs and occasionally when shooting for a serious matches where time is at the highest I'll reach out for my Blade Tech holsters.

Biggest advice is do it. You'll love the compition and typically most folks are very friendly and open. At my club the range is from top national shooters (thats their full time job), police officers, doctors, lawyers, teachers, ect (you get the idea). For me its pretty humbling to get out shoot by a school teacher (and some of you will know why), but hey when the day is done its still one of my favorite things. Infact I get to see the doc tomorrow and hope he realeases me back to being able to get back into it.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Actually the Fobus paddle is legal. I haven't shot any state or national matches with it since the new holster rules, but have been told at the three clubs I shoot at, that it is good to go.
    Steve, don't know what your duty rig consists of, but if it's a traditional duty rig, it's allowed in club matches here. The only possible duty carry rigs that are not allowed, are the cross draw, sob, or shoulder rigs.
    str1
    Last edited by shooter1; April 2nd, 2007 at 06:07 AM.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    My duty rig shooter1 is a UC Comfort 3XH t-shirt holster, lol. Would love to use it, but its a no-no for IDPA.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links