How should a female carry ?

This is a discussion on How should a female carry ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been going over this a lot. My wife is getting her CCW. I am trying to figure out the best way for her ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should a female carry ?

I have been going over this a lot. My wife is getting her CCW.

I am trying to figure out the best way for her to carry.

She rarely wears a belt - hospital scrubs to work.

I do not think she would go for a fanny pack - fashion thing.

That leaves her small purse.

My thoughts on purse carry are, first, thats a big target for being grabbed and run off with, even if in your hands and second, if someone gets the drop on you to rob you and do who knows what, whats the first thing they want - the purse ! Also it is kindof hard to get it out quickly.

So what are some good ideas for ladies who carry ?

With scrubs, I'm thinking Smart Carry.
    -Biker

If it's legal to carry where she works, Smart Carry is a good answer. I use one with my K9 when wearing lighter weight clothing or when IWB isn't practical. The Smart Carry is actually pretty comfortable as well...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

There's the belly band too, or possibly ankle holster. My wife is a nurse at the local hospital. They've got a stupid-sign up banning guns, and we can't afford for her to lose he job, so no carrying for her...but I've wondered about the best way to carry for her. She's scrub-clad as well. I'm wondering about a shoulder holster setup under a buttoned scrub jacket...? Not sure if that'd work.

One other option, there are tight fitting t-shirts with a holster located basically just south of the armpit. Small guns only, obviously.

Best advice is to let her make the call--don't make it for her. Present her with the options, but let her pick her solution.

Here's my take on the female carry via my journey with my fiance to get her to carry. As always, YMMV.

Take whatever form of carrying you can get because a gun in her purse is better than a gun at home. If she insists on purse carry, try to get her to carry a BUG on her person. In the scrubs case, I'd recommend a Smart Carry, followed by an ankle holster.

That way if her purse is snatched, she still has a gun. If she passes on purse carry, then I'd say go with the biggest gun she'll Smart Carry comfortably. Women that dress in the latest fashions imo really don't have a lot to work with as far as concealment goes. Right or wrong, mine doesn't seem to want to wear a too large shirt or any of that, so we've worked around it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

pax
    http://www.corneredcat.com/Holster/howhide.aspx

http://www.corneredcat.com/Holster/straighttalk.aspx

and

http://www.corneredcat.com/Holster/purse.aspx

She should find something in one of those three articles that will help. (Oh, and you meant you are trying to help her figure out how to carry, right? Not that you are trying to figure it out for her ...?)

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

there is a thread on here that has some pics of some females carrying. i know that one of them carried with a shoulder rig and iwb with her kimber :) ill look for the link.

FOUND IT
    This is a good thread all around

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...t=21361&page=2
    Last edited by elrey718; April 3rd, 2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: found link
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Yes, she is a nurse as well, so it should probably be removable before going in the hospital. But she might like that smart carry as she can carry money, etc in one of the versions, and keep the pistol in the glove box.

And no, I am presenting her with options. She will definitely have the final say - which should have been apparent from the "no fanny pack - fashion thing."

WOMAN SHOULD NOT CARRY....ONLY MEN SHOULD CARRY GUNS.

Who said that?

lol....just kidding ladies.

I would definately not advise her to carry in a purse, mostly for the reasons that you stated. Smartcarry or Thunderwear would be the way to go if she doesn't wear a belt, as some others have stated.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I am a nurse (no Gaylord Focker jokes please..LOL) and yes it freaking sucks I can't carry at work. I have a smart carry. It's easy to pull off before work and easy to put on without bringing much attention to yourself in you car. I also suggest some sort of hidden lock box in your car, as hospital emplyoee cars seem to be a pretty popular target. I have a lock box mounted where my spare tire should be (I have a hatchback with run-flats). Probally the last place a thief would look for freebies.

Smartcarry is a great option.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Everywhere. All the time. Assuming you love them.

That said, "off-body-carry", is never a viable solution, ESPECIALLY for females.

Dont stop looking until you find an intelligent body-carry solution for her that SHE is happy with.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

VIP Member

I've been married 36 years so... any darn way she wants to!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Schwebel View Post
    I am a nurse (no Gaylord Focker jokes please..LOL).....
    With a handle like Schwebel, I don't think we need to make any jokes.....

Sorry... I had too. Bad Boy!

As far as a woman carrying, try out as many options as she feels comfortable with and see what happens. My wife was doing the purse carry thing for almost a year. She finally got her new Milt Sparks IWB SS2 last month and has been using that with her MK9. She loves it. Course, that setup only works with a good belt and scrubs certainly dont apply.

Good luck!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

I've been married 36 years so... any darn way she wants to!
    Now here is a smart man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links