What do the small guys use??under 165lbs

This is a discussion on What do the small guys use??under 165lbs within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm 5'10" 155lbs. Just wondering what suggestions you other small guys might have for comfortable concealed carrry? My iwb digs into my side to much. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do the small guys use??under 165lbs

What do the small guys use??under 165lbs

I'm 5'10" 155lbs. Just wondering what suggestions you other small guys might have for comfortable concealed carrry? My iwb digs into my side to much. Thanks.Keith

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    What are you carrying and in what? Size isn't necessarily the issue.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Pocket carry, or OWB might suit you then. What IWB rig are you using? There are differences in the holsters out there. A quality holster with a sweat shield and good design might work better, such as those by UBG,
    HBE or Brommeland to mention a few.

I've got a Kahr K40 in a Andrews McDII IWB I like, also a Keltec P3AT in a K Rat pocket holster. Waiting my Mx Con from Brommeland for my GLocks. Also have a KD OWB Defender I like for my Glocks.

Lead Moderator
    alot depends on body type, holster ect. My buddy is about 160 5-8 and carries a Glock 19 IWB. Just depends on what works for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Did you buy your pants to fit you and the gun or just you?

I'm 150# and carry an N-Frame 4" Revolver IWB with no worries. Try letting your pants out 1"-2" and that may relieve the discomfort. All of my suits are sized to accomodate the weapon. In fact, I get "fitted" for my suits with the weapon on.

Biker

VIP Member
    I'm not as tall, but the same weight. I also have issues with IWB...(waiting right now on a Garrity, which I hope will solve that).

I usually use a OWB, they don't poke or prod you...just a little more difficult to cover.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I understand your dilemma. I am also a small guy, 5'6" 145#. I typically carry IWB as it provides the best concealment for me. However, most IWB holsters I have tried put too much pressure on the greater trochanter of my femur bone which eventually causes discomfort. Maybe my hips are just screwed up or something. I've tried OWB but none seem to pull the gun in close enough to my body making concealment only viable with heavier cover garments like jackets. Also being small, I have a hard time finding button-down shirts and polos that aren't too tight/short or end up being night gowns. SOB used to work quite fine, until I realized what a fall could do to me and how easily someone could disarm me.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    5'9.75" and 168#s. When working in the business casual dress, I hide all my toys using a UC Comfort 3XH t-shirt holster. When not in a business casual dress code or off duty, I use a ITP holster with a (major importance) high quality belt. Carry everything from Sig 229s, Glock 19, BHP, Kahr TP9, 1911s, S&W K Frames ect, and 80% of my holsters are ITP. The rest are on the belt, thigh rigs and shoulder rigs.

I will say....if its a cheap belt or a cheap holster....your doomed with ITP. Its why I only use high quality custom made ITP holsters and consider Don Hume and Galco to be holsters to use till my custom ones get made.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I'm 5'9", 160lb. I can't seem to use IWB holsters either for the same reason you describe. They just are not comfortable to me. I carry my G30 in a Don Hume J.I.T. slide (OWB) and it works really well for me.

sorry it's a taurus millenium pro pt111 9mm. i just ordered a holster similar to the kangaroo style. hopefully i will like. thanks.

gain some weight?

i wish i could. i'm 24 and have weighed the same since i was 16! maybe i should drink more beer??

I'm 5'10" and 160lbs soaking wet, but I carry a GI model 1911 in a Galco Summer Special (IWB) rig.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

5'7", 142 lbs on a good day here. I carry what's in my signature line, a steel framed Colt Commander in a leather IWB holster from Gary Brommeland.

First and foremost, if you don't have a good belt, get one! I use a 1.75" wide 5-stitch Wilderness belt and it's great. If you're like me, having the belt at just the right length is critical for comfort. The Wilderness belt gives you infinite adjustability.

Second, if you're not using a quality holster, get one. This can be difficult but is also critical for comfort. Gary's leather is wonderful, but so is the work of many others on this board. Look around and see what you like.

Third, give it time. It's going to feel strange for a few weeks, but given time you may just forget it's there.

Finally, IWB might not be for you. I'm looking at trying an OWB holster since I have broad enough shoulders relative to my waist to pull it off (I think). One of the between-the-belt-and-pants holsters out there may work well for you. It's a never ending search. Best of luck!
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Im 5' 11" 155lbs. I never had a hard time concealing anything. Exept for my 4" GP-100. I need a OBW holster and a gacket as cover garment, To conceal that.

I use a floppy Uncle Mike holster, at 1:00. For my Rossi R31502, .38 snubnose.
    I use a Desantis "Cozy Partner", at 3:30. For my Springfield G.I.
    A cheap (but good) nylon holster, at 3:30. For my G19

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links