Custom IWB SOB needed.....

This is a discussion on Custom IWB SOB needed..... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a nice custom job for my new PT 38 Taurus (should be arriving today) I've looked online and came up empty. Guess ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom IWB SOB needed.....

Custom IWB SOB needed.....

I'm looking for a nice custom job for my new PT 38 Taurus (should be arriving today) I've looked online and came up empty. Guess they didn't make many of these. I'm fairly new here and i have no idea who to contact for this. Please don't flame me for this method of carry. I already understand the risks. Any makers that would like to contact me please do i need all the help i can get.

Thanks Guys

2. Remove Ads

I'd also be interested if any makers make a rig for this type of carry.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Lead Moderator
    You may have a problem finding a decent one.

A lot of the major holster makers consider them dangerous and recommend against them. This is due to an alleged history of possible spinal cord injuries due to falls.
    Last edited by rstickle; April 6th, 2007 at 12:42 PM.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    One way to get this ordered is to order whichever IWB you want and specify the cant angle you want. Small of back, you'd want at least 30, maybe 45. Don't mention SOB, and makers that don't do it, won't ever know (unless someone puts information like this on a gun forum).
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Check with andrew custom leather he's based out of flordia. Super nice guy see if he has any way to alter his mcdaniel II into a IWB SOB His Mcdainel II is a sweet peice of cow I have one for my sig 229 and My Kimber Custom TLE and they are comfy I'm a Fatman and very Discrimative on IWB holster and his fit me perfectly

"sweet piece of cow"
    Hoplophile

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    You may have a problem finding a decent one.

A lot of the major holster makers consider them dangerous and recommend against them. This is due to a history of spinal chord injuries due to falls.
    rstickle:

You know on the one hand, I don't particularly care for MOB holsters personally. But on the other hand, they are of some value for certain applications. So, I'm not posting to promote the holster type but rather question the reason for its denigration. I can't understand how a statement like "you could hurt your back if you fall on it" turns into "a history of spinal chord injuries due to falls". Whenever anyone is asked to verify an injury the answer is invariably something like, "I heard of someone being injured" but can't actually give first hand info. I don't doubt that there is the POSSIBILITY that you could fall on one and get hurt. And maybe someone has. Anything is possible. I haven't seen any information that would lead me to believe that there is a history of spinal injuries. I sure understand if people don't like a certain design. If that is the case, why not just say you don't like it or "I don't find them comfortable" or "they can't be accessed by either hand" or they're hard to defend because your arm strength in that position isn't very good and you shouldn’t always assume you’ll be facing your attacker" or something else along those lines.

In some ways it reminds me of the old argument against cross draw holsters. “the bad guy can snatch it from you” (true of old spring opening cross draws worn in the open in uniform) but seemingly perpetuated long after those holsters ceased to be used because range officers didn’t want to worry about that type of drawing motion on the range. Modern cross draw holsters (again not my particular favorite), while not generally as easily concealed for most folks, can easily be defended by either hand and your arms are much stronger in front of your body than behind or to the side. And yet the gun snatch argument still continues in some circles to be promoted as the main reason NOT to wear one.

I find myself venting over your post and I’m sorry about that. It’s just that I get sick of hearing that information disseminated.

as a guy who's 6'1" tall and 240 the area on my sides is not my best choice for carry...but i have ample room SOB... now I'll invite the real flame by saying this is my proposed step up for "mexican" carry which i really find comfortable .. for every guy that hates it i can point to LE's that do it nightly...at the end of the day it's what works for you...not the rumors of what didn't work for everyone else

I understand and I can't say that I've never used a Mexican carry but I positioned the handgun on my side because the belt seems to have more consistant tension on the side than it does near the middle of your back.

I have this one.

I guess I should add that this is the one I bought, but I am waiting to recieve it in the mail. So I can not, as of right now, vouch for how good it is. Although, I did buy it at the recomendation of someone that absolutely loves it.
    Last edited by Trovan; April 5th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.

kpw
    I thought I was the only guy on the internet that fell directly on my SOB and didn't get injured. I took a spill on ice and landed flat on my back. I think it actually cushioned my tailbone. Maybe saving me from serious injury???

I'm Wearing Flame-retardant Clothing...

so let me toss in my .02...

I like my IWB/SOB holsters, and I have about 1/2 dozen of them...all Fist, Inc. (See Holster Sources...above).

Let me heat it up some more...my SOB's are palm out draw...See Fist SOB holster #41...

I don't buy the spinal injury crap...I'm 60, I trip all the time (my wife gets tons of laughs on my behalf). Let's see, there is the time I fell down a set of bleachers...only 3-4 seats, no spine injury then either. But my wife did laugh about that for 2-3 days...

I don't buy the "You're going to shoot yourself in the 'arse' either."
    It's called practice...no practice?, it's then called stupidity...
    Crossdraw carry, I could shoot my balls off...
    Strong side, I could shoot my hip, my foot...
    Shoulder carry, I could shoot the guy behind me, my gut, my thigh...

Just as previously stated, I've never read of a spinal injury from SOB carry. I've never read of and 'ARSE' injury from SOB carry...

I have read of people shooting themselves, when looking at a gun, when cleaning a gun, when the gun was 'empty'...

The point is...how do YOU like to carry, it is comfortable, and can you retrieve your weapon quickly if you need it...do you practice...it's YOUR choice.

I can carry my Glock-36 in a Fist #41 IWB/SOB very comfortably. I can drive, sit, bend over, fall down bleachers...etc...you get my point...it works for ME.

If I have my weapon in an SOB holster in the car, I usually have a second weapon at my reach in addition to the SOB, or I will take a second holster along and switch from SOB to a holster between the seats for the ride...then back to SOB as I exit the vehicle.

I know 'lots' of other older gentleman who carry the same way I do, and when asked about what 'people say about SOB' they say...
    Well you can guess what the old timers say about that..."$@%%^^#*(*@(%)#..."

Do I carry SOB a lot, not really, but I do enjoy the method...it works for me...it can work for you.

Forget the flames fellas...I'm too old for that garbage' (french pronunciation).

Stay armed...stay safe!

Maybe someday I'll tell you how I really feel...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Trovan View Post
    I have this one.

I guess I should add that this is the one I bought, but I am waiting to recieve it in the mail. So I can not, as of right now, vouch for how good it is. Although, I did buy it at the recomendation of someone that absolutely loves it.
    Thanks for that link, I like the look of that one!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Second on the Andrews Mc D II, you can adjust the carry angle. GREAT holster.

Might also want to check Black Hills Leather. He might also have something with an adjustable angle.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    To answer the who said it question about injuries...the IACP (International Association of Chiefs of Police) magazine wrote an article in the early 2000s concerning that specific issue. It stated clearly the issue and the NYPD in changing their training from carrying the handcuffs in the small of the back to the side or front due to injuries to officers from falls on them.

Additionally in the current American Handgunner magazine (May/June 2007) there is an article about training by Bob Hindi (LVMPD) concerning placement of equipment on belts.

It is something that forced a change in the mentality of law enforcement and I personally know of a senior officer who carried his back-up revolver in the small of his back and a slip on wet concrete landing him square on his back caused him a perminant fracture to the L5 region (the medical term is spondylosis) which is inoperable and causes pain daily for the rest of his life. It soon lead to his retirement from the department.

Not going to bang on the idea, just backing up the comments I have made in the past and I can infact name the officer in my case and know first hand of the effects, due to research conducted while on the uniform selection committee for my previous agency.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links