Appendix carry

This is a discussion on Appendix carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by grnzbra What's that rule about not pointing a gun at something you're not willing to destroy? My thoughts exactly. For highly trained ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appendix carry

Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    What's that rule about not pointing a gun at something you're not willing to destroy?

My thoughts exactly. For highly trained individuals, this is an option. Executive/Dignitary Protection types often employ this technique. However, a fairly large percentage of people (in a real lethal force stuation) AD a firearm as soon as it clears the holster, due to stress induced involuntary clenching of the fists.
    Personally, I'd rather burn my butt cheek than perform a ballistic castration job on myself.

2. Remove Ads

+1 Gary....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Lead Moderator
    I can't see how appendix cary could be well concealed on me. I am not super skinny , but am far from overweight. I guess for a small pistol.

The topic of carrying a firearm is important to me considering this is part of a weekly lecture I give and it is always good to see people talking about alternate methods as with Gabe Suarez suggestion.

If appendix carry fits a person's needs then they should use it.

The basic considerations are on any method of carry,
    * Comfort -- "all day long"
    * Retention/concealment
    * Easy to draw/holster
    * The holster stays open once drawn for easy holstering.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland
    My thoughts exactly. For highly trained individuals, this is an option. Executive/Dignitary Protection types often employ this technique. However, a fairly large percentage of people (in a real lethal force stuation) AD a firearm as soon as it clears the holster, due to stress induced involuntary clenching of the fists.
    Personally, I'd rather burn my butt cheek than perform a ballistic castration job on myself.
    Not trying to flame, or "convert you", but if there are that many ND's during weapon presentation, there are more folks walking around half-assed than I've met. Try it with Safety-rounds. My experience was that the muzzle was clear before my safety was disengaged (1911), in fact, it was alomst impossible to take the safety off before clearing. Glocks are a different matter, but if you feel confident carrying one with a round in the chamber, location should not matter.

Howdy!

My comments were not limited to 1911 pistols. The fact is that the majority of pistols carried for personal defense are some form of double action - usually carried with the safety on the "off" position.

During the stress of an actual shooting, a phenomenon known as "tachy-Psychia" occurs. If you've ever been in a car wreck, for example, you've probably experienced everything happening in "slow motion". This is an example of this effect. The other manifestations include auditory exclusion (a .357 mag inside a room sounds like a .25 auto), tunnel vision, and the ability to remember fine details in minute detail. The final effect (the one we are concerned with here) is that fine motor skills go out the window, and the muscles in the hands and forearms involuntarily clench. (Which can and and does result in an AD as soon as the finger reaches the trigger)

Now, I am not a trainer, but I have spent classroom and a bunch of range time with some of the best, and I am telling you that very, very few of them even consider carrying in any position other than strong side for this very reason.Yes, any decent trainer will teach his/her students to keep their finger in the "register" position, and that is the solution to the problem. However, the vast majority of people out there carrying a firearm for personal defense have never had any such training.

In closing, I have actually examined duty holsters with the muzzle plug shot out of them. It does happen - even to cops (who, generally speaking, have a higher level of formal defensive training than does the average citizen with a ccw.)

The key to street survival lies in getting proper training and using your brain. If you have not seen a situation shaping up and eased toward some type of cover BEFORE any shooting starts, you've already screwed up big time. If you need to "out draw" an opponent, you're probably gonna die. It is that simple - and that final.

This discussion might better be moved to a more appropriate forum, should ya'll wish to continue with it a bit further. ( I'll leave that decision to someone with a higher pay grade than mine ) Having said that, please keep in mind when choosing a holster system and carry position that it needs to be chosen with an eye toward it's actual functionality on the street. All of the above factors MUST be taken into consideration when a holster is designed by it's maker, or chosen by it's wearer.
    Best wishes to all. Thanks for the rant!
    Last edited by Gary Brommeland; December 5th, 2005 at 11:50 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links