Appendix carry

This is a discussion on Appendix carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mr. Gabe Suarez introduced me to this type of carry and i frequently carry my 19 or 23 in a IWB blade-tech holster when i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appendix carry

Appendix carry

Mr. Gabe Suarez introduced me to this type of carry and i frequently carry my 19 or 23 in a IWB blade-tech holster when i wear clothes that are favorable for this type of carry.I also carry a glock 26 in a Galco ankle holster that i wear everyday.My question to this forum is with summer coming on there will be times when i will wear shorts and a t-shirt and my 26 in appendix carry position will be quite concealable.What IWB holster for my 26 would be recommended.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a S&W 640 as a backup in a Don Hume JIT slide worn in the appendix position. While not a IWB holster, it carries the gun high enough that it doesn't poke into my pelvis when seated.

I suppose a G26 would work just as well.

You guys must be skinny. If I tried appendix carry my gut would act as a LID to keep me from drawing! Some folks have "Love Handles." Mine have turned to "Lifting Bars."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    You guys must be skinny. If I tried appendix carry my gut would act as a LID to keep me from drawing! Some folks have "Love Handles." Mine have turned to "Lifting Bars."

You and me both Brother

Bud you and exsolider may need to start doing sit-ups,because this type of carry is extremely comfortable,very concealable,but most of all very fast.On a serious note guys I'm quickly approaching 50 and its tuff to stay in shape so i hear were your coming from.

Thumbs down Situps????

Quote Originally Posted by ramtough47
    Bud you and exsolider may need to start doing sit-ups,because this type of carry is extremely comfortable,very concealable,but most of all very fast.On a serious note guys I'm quickly approaching 50 and its tuff to stay in shape so i hear were your coming from.
    Hey...it's not the YEARS....it's the MILEAGE! I've got a busted up back from a couple of chopper mishaps, can't run bad knees and ankles from running in army boots....as well as a number of other medical ailments. Gettin' old ain't fer sissies thats fer sure!

Appendix carry may be comfortable for y'all, but I can't see the draw speed and I'd have to retrain my muscles into new memory patterns that have been in place over 25 years and I can't see concealability especially here in sunny, hot South Florida....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Concealment is not much of an issue with appendix carry, unless you're either built like a bean pole or you look like you're about to give birth to a watermelon.

Quote Originally Posted by ramtough47
    Hah Im built for comfort not speed i carry enough ammo so i can shoot it out since i cant run :vikings11

Dont forget not all of us are in perfect health either ive got a bad back one shoulder thats been rebuilt twice

Was never that comfortable to me to carry that far forward anyways and if i do carry true appendex carry its on the wrong side...

Also rember if were side by side during say a shoot out whos goona get shot first by the criminals if they have a chance the skinny in good shape guy ... us ole fat boys will get to shoot first not be shot first

Exsoldier i hear you loud and clear and i want to personally thank you for your sevice to our country.Now concerning that draw,let me put it to you like this. I've been timed without a cover garment on,hands in a neutral and relaxed position,drawing from a OWB kydex holster and firing 1 round and getting a hit in the upper chest area from a distance of 10 feet in 1.34 seconds.Now i know that is not "world class speed" and i belive i can now do it a little faster,but i can "smoke that time and draw" with a draw from appendix carry.With my hands hanging down in front of me,right hand over my left,i simply"cuff" the bottom of my T-shirt/sweater with my left hand and when the buzzer signals start both hands go straight up with the left hand exposing the gun and the right hand grasping the gun.Since the gun is already in the front of your body instead of the 4:00 postion on your side you are already ahead of the speed curve.Don't missunderstand me EXsoldier i still carry most of the time on my right side.

Red face

I wear my Kimber in a Galco SCT202 at the left side appendix...makes for a crossdraw, and yes I'm a rather slim jim and it is a comfortable wear...even sitting in my truck.

Talking ExSoldier

Lifting bars............. You must be spending too much times at John Martin's ............... Guinness on tap.............

Advantages of Appendix Carry

1). Eliminates possibilty of a bump frisk
    2). Less limb articulation to draw
    3). About 20% faster than strong side
    4). Easier to draw in a close range scuffle (read that "grapple")
    5). Easier for women to carry this way
    6). Easier to draw with support hand
    7). Easier to draw seated, or in a car.

Disavantages

1). Not for every body type
    2). Requires closed-front garment
    3). Requires a new holster
    4). Limits size of weapon to be carried

Cooper mentions this in a book - Cooper on Handguns (dated 1972). Apparently the late Bruce Nelson carried this way and Cooper agreed it was faster and easier to conceal than traditional hip carry. I have gone pretty much totally for this type of carry.

Thanks and God bless,

Gabe Suarez
    Suarez International USA
    http://www.suarezinternational.com

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Id say its an "acquired taste" method of carry.

Nelson was an undercover cop in NY for years and needed this method of carry for deep concealment....from what Ive heard anyway. It does conceal better than OWB/Hip carry....but IMO not really any better than a good IWB @ 4.oo and you can carry any size gun you want in that case.

It works for some people and for some it doesnt. For women I can attest it does work well, my wife carries that way and WONT change.

Great thread.............Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Considering the "bad-breath" distances within which most unscheduled events occur, appendix allows for a brutally fast and accurate hail of fire into the target.

It seemed "funky" to me, too, when I first heard about it. I've since started playing with it, with an Airsoft so far, and am converting. Draw is fast and easy, the wrist is locked, canting the pistol to eject downward, and indexes to direction of gaze instinctively. It also make it easier to blade to the BG, using your off hand to shield/give space. Blocking, weak-hand, while drawing strong side IWB/OWB 0400 requires you to square to the target to be in-line, after the draw. Appendix draw gives you the average (average width of the American males' shoulders) 18" more space between the BG and your drawn weapon. I would love to try one of Suarez's classes, so I could have a more "refined" version, in practice.

I'm waiting to get a holster from BT, to try it with the real deal.

Just be absolutely sure your finger is out of the trigger guard of your Glock when reholstering.
    What's that rule about not pointing a gun at something you're not willing to destroy?
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links