Sig 229 CCW Options?

This is a discussion on Sig 229 CCW Options? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I attempt to conceal carry a Sig 229...however, i'm not doing a very good job at it. Any suggestions from those who CCW a Sig ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 229 CCW Options?

Question Sig 229 CCW Options?

I attempt to conceal carry a Sig 229...however, i'm not doing a very good job at it. Any suggestions from those who CCW a Sig 229?

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your replies/opinions on the matter.

-MEI

2. Remove Ads

You can conceal anything with the right combination of body type, clothing choices, holster and gunbelt. More info is needed, what kind of clothes are you trying to conceal with with, because I can't hid my 1911 in my running shorts and t-shirt, and I doubt you can conceal a Sig like that either.

Perhaps most importantly, what kind of gunbelt/holster combination are you using?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'm 6'4" tall and I weigh 190lbs. I normally wear jeans and a t-shirt. Currently I have a really nice thick leather belt but I use an Uncle Mike's Sidekick Size 15 holster. Not the best holster but it was cheap and easy on the gun finish. Hope that helps.

-MEI

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEI2757935 View Post
    I attempt to conceal carry a Sig 229...however, i'm not doing a very good job at it. Any suggestions from those who CCW a Sig 229?

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your replies/opinions on the matter.

-MEI

I used to carry both a P-229 and a P-226 using a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II holsters and it was very comfortable even with the larger of the two!

www.miltsparks.com
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I used to carry both a P-229 and a P-226 using a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II holsters and it was very comfortable even with the larger of the two!

www.miltsparks.com
    Nice holster. I wonder if they are still taking like 13 weeks for them to arrive? Long wait. I guess if you have to wait you just have to wait.

-MEI

The holster is probably the biggest problem. However a cover garment, like a button up shirt that is unbottoned or vest would help. Basically you ant the pistol pulled in as tight to the body as possible, while still being able to draw. The sidekick isn't going to do that. In order to conceal a pistol as big and heavy as a 229 effectively, you will probably need to find a new holster.

I don't carry a Sig, I carry a 1911, so I can only give general guidelines. Some of the other members who do carry Sigs or some of the holster makers will probably add more that can help you more specifically later on tonight.

Another piece of info that is important is where on your person you wear the pistol. Think of your body as a clock, with forward being 12, right arm being 3, backside 6 and left arm 9. For most right handed people between 330 and 430 seem to work best, although that is different for everybody, and you have to find the best place for you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I carry a 228, which is pretty much identical for our purposes...

I carry it (when I'm off duty) in an Alessi IWB with plastic belt clip, at around the 3:30 to 4:00 position. The holster has about a 25 degree cant, which keeps the grip at a better angle (IMO) for concealment. I have several dedicated "gun belts" that secure the rig.

I am tall (6'4") have relatively slim hips/waist (size 35/36 pants), so the key, for me at least, is to get a slight angle on the grip in order to keep it from poking out the back of the cover garment; and to keep the weapon in tight and close to the body. If I do both of these things, I can conceal rather easily under an untucked golf shirt or a similar garment. It compleatly disappears under an untucked collared shirt or light jacket.

All that being said, I have a Garrity on the way to get rid of the clip. The clip has worked pretty well, but I want a double-loop offset design to help balance the 228 out, as it is a pretty grip-heavy weapon.

I have yet to find a "tuckable" option that works - I think the 228/229 is just too big on my frame/body style.

Hope that helps a little!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well ...an offset loops IWB is something as a maker that I would recommend.

The splayed loops keeps the gun thin and the weight spread out...both are very beneficial to your carry situation as the Sig isnt thin or light. Look for something in a lighter weight leather and for the thinnest possible setup something without a reinforced mouth.
    It all adds up for overall comfort and flexibility.

A stacked loop design will make it thicker and put more pressure on you than the offset loops design. For the Sig I would highly recommend it.

Look at the makers on this site for some of the best leather you will find....they are more than willing to accomidate you.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEI2757935 View Post
    Nice holster. I wonder if they are still taking like 13 weeks for them to arrive? Long wait. I guess if you have to wait you just have to wait.

-MEI
    18 - 20 weeks. I see them come up on e-Bay in the $130.00 neighborhood. There are others who make a simular holster and I'd bet if I had one of them first I probably wouldn't switch from it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

229 Holsters

Well I'm a fatbody so to speak but I have carried my 229 religously and I have Andrews Mcdaniels II that works really good i have a Galco Combat Master that works pretty good.and if i'm wearing shorts and just wanna toss it in my waistband well I have a Desantis Nemisis that works Surprisingly well for the 20.00 that I gave for it i can carry that lil booger anywhere from 3:30 to 6:00 positions and if i'm lazy and dont want that and the short pockets are big enough that baby gets tossed in my pocket

IWB in a nice leather holster. My 229SAS basically disappears on me. I wear a size larger T-shirt, more dressy Bowling shirt or more aptly flat bottomed shirt which cover well. If your gun prints a bit, take your cell phone and wear it on the same side toward the front of your pants. This prints in the front, breaks the eye toward it, not toward the back where your gun is. Me, 6'2", 195, 33" waist. It is all about blending colors and styles that keep you from being noticed mostly..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by customtle View Post
    and if i'm lazy and dont want that and the short pockets are big enough that baby gets tossed in my pocket
    Them's some BIG pockets! I can't imagine concealing my 228 in any pockets on any of my pants (excepting perhaps a BDU cargo pocket), and I have a 34" inseam!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Needs a stable holster and belt.

I sometimes carry a Sig P229 and use a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard, an OWB pancake holster. I use it with a thick Rafter gunbelt that supports the gun and holster well. Horsehide makes a very stiff, strong holster that doesn't sag under the weight of the P229 (about 35 ounces loaded), and the wide spaced belt loops give good stability. My favorite cover garment is a dark colored, full cut shirt worn untucked

The Sig P229 is actually a compact gun from the standpoint of grip and barrel length, and is similar to the Glock 19/23 in those dimensions. But it is a thicker and heavier gun than the Glocks and needs more support for carry. The gun's weight is a good thing when you are shooting it, as it handles .40 caliber recoil very well.

Thanks for all of the replies. Keep them coming guys. I'll let you know what I decide to do. I'm going to go to one of the local gun stores that has a lot of holster options out on the floor. I'll see if he minds me testing a few out. I'll see what the best option is for me. Something has to be better than what i'm currently using. Thanks again.

-MEI

I use a blade-tech IWB holster w/J-hooks...made of kydex, easy to draw and reholster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links