Florida Construction Worker

This is a discussion on Florida Construction Worker within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are all you HOT weather blue collar ladies and gents carrying? I am loathe to think of trying to fit my full size USP ...

Thread: Florida Construction Worker

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar

Florida Construction Worker

What are all you HOT weather blue collar ladies and gents carrying? I am loathe to think of trying to fit my full size USP .40 under my tool belt, hidden only by my tee shirt. You all know the drill, bending and lifting, in close-quarters with others. Y'all really carry IWB, OWB or stuff more like kel-tecs in ankle holsters?

2. Remove Ads

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

EDC = Kimber Ultra CDP II

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I work construction (mechanical contractor) with lots of bending squatting and rolling around on the ground. I also wear a tool belt about half the time.

I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 in a Don Hume IWB clip on holster every minute of every work day. In the summer I wear 2 T shirts. One tucked in to keep something between me and my pistol and one long one untucked that covers everything.

I have never been made. It is seldom uncomfortable, and only once has the holster come off of my belt and I could feel it happening so it caused no problem.

When it gets too hot for a shirt I go with a smart carry.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Heck you dont have to drop to a Kel-Tec for an ankle carry. In super heat when doing labor I do tend to go to a ankle rig but carrying something a lil bigger (minimum 38 spl). Now that Kahr has come out with the PM45 it will be small enought to easily conceal on the ankle [B]BUT[B] you will need to clean it often as a semi-auto worn on the ankle (actually any weapon) collects alot of dirt which can gum up a semi more than it will a revolver.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Is it against the law to accidentally flash a concealed weapon in Florida?
    It isn't here in TN and that really makes a difference to my carry options. I do construction, not on sites anymore but I do work outside putting in decks, fences, stuff like that. If the surroundings are right I open carry, if not I carry a gun that can handle sweat.
    If not I just carry my KelTec in my pocket or even put my main carry in the truck. I don't like putting it in the truck and only do that when I absolutely have to, which translates to nearly never.

Don't Flash A Weapon In Florida!

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Is it against the law to accidentally flash a concealed weapon in Florida?
    It isn't here in TN and that really makes a difference to my carry options. I do construction, not on sites anymore but I do work outside putting in decks, fences, stuff like that. If the surroundings are right I open carry, if not I carry a gun that can handle sweat.
    If not I just carry my KelTec in my pocket or even put my main carry in the truck. I don't like putting it in the truck and only do that when I absolutely have to, which translates to nearly never.
    But...an accidental wind gush...untucked shirt...might get some attention, but I think/hope...common sense would prevail with LE.
    I am very careful about my cover and movement...I'm not interested in givving an 'accidental' peek at try...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I can't speak for the more progressive areas of Florida, but if you flash it here on the Redneck Riviera it becomes, if even momentarily, an open carry. Open carry's a no-no unless you're a LEO.

And "discretion" is a good point...the majority of the LEO's I deal with are understanding, stand-up folks, but we do have more than a few that will load you up. Had one a couple years ago where a guy flashed in a grocery store and management called it in. He was scruffy-looking, unshaven, etc., and I believe that's one of the factors that came into play. (He was also a mouthy jerk to the responding officer). Anyway, in short, he went to jail. If I recall, the charge was something along the lines of "improper exhibition." Adjudication withheld, court costs & fines, 6-months probation, some community service, costs of supervision and attorney fees. It's been awhile but I think it cost him around $3500.

We also have an informal charge here called "POP." It's an acronym for "Pi--ing off the police."
    Last edited by BruceGibson; April 11th, 2007 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Add-ons

When I was working I carried a small automatic in my tool box or a 357 behind the truck seat. I only had to use it once but was lucky and did not have to shoot. The sight of the gun was all it took.

I work in a woodshop all day carrying either a 1911 IWB or when it's summer a J Frame Airweight .38 in a pocket holster. Don't usually wear a tool belt though. With a tool belt on I would probably stay with pocket carry.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Someone needs to market a toolbelt with a built in holster!

Welcome to the forum.

I think a J frame S&W in a pocket holster is about
    perfect for this situation.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Moderator
    Welcome

Snub nose in a Smartcarry most every day
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Toss a P3AT in your pocket and call it good. If you check out the posts over at KGOG, you'll see that some folks wear these things around their necks in kydex holsters. That's stretching it a bit for me, but people do it.

I carry my P3AT all the time, everywhere, with any clothing combination...either IWB with the clip, or in a pocket holster.

That's what I think.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    Thanks for the welcomes, and the advice. I'm leaning toward a P3AT for pocket carry.
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

Links