Shoulder Holsters

This is a discussion on Shoulder Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about to show what a neophyte I am in the CCW world. I got my permit in MN and decided to get outfitted. ...

Thread: Shoulder Holsters

Shoulder Holsters

I am about to show what a neophyte I am in the CCW world. I got my permit in MN and decided to get outfitted. I bought a Desantis IWB and found it uncomfortable and awkward for driving. I didn't know I should buy pants to fit me and the gun. I purchased a shoulder holster/Jack-ass rig from Galco with the horizontal mag holder. I did this for the comfort and ease of conceal as I tend to wear jackets often ( I always thought Don Johnson's was really cool in Miami Vice).
    I bought the first two Inside the Crucible DVD's and see the need for waist holstering for quick defensive deployment.
    Does anyone have advice regarding the effectiveness of shoulder holsters? BTW I carry a XD40SC and a Sig 2340.
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 12th, 2007 at 11:59 PM. Reason: correct minor typo
    Semper Paratus

2. Remove Ads

Shoulder holsters have there place. They are just a more specialized holster than most people wear everyday. But you will hear that lots of people have them, they just don't get used as much as an OWB or IWB belt holster.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I wear a Shoulder Holster when on my motorcycle or driving in the car for extended periods, like over 4 hours.

With that being said, they are slower to draw from, present the weapon to an assailant easier and the straps of the shouder harness tend to "give you away" when they print under your cover garment.

I prefer to have a gun on my ankle and will draw that one while seated. I wear one IWB as well and will go to that one if I'm not seated.

Good leather, Belt/Holster combo, as well as sizing your pants properly, will go a long way towards comfort in regards to IWB carry.

Biker

Try http://www.andrewsleather.com Monarch rig. Excellent shoulder holster. I also have a cross draw holster that is held onto your belt by a magnet. This is made by a local MN company called Pistol Packaging, http://www.pistolpackaging.com This is not a great holster but is economical and easy to use in the car.

Seeing as how we live close to one another feel free to email me or call if you have any questions.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; April 12th, 2007 at 04:47 PM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I have used Galco miami classics for years now. They work very well for me.

I have a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig coming in the mail (Thanks kpw!) I've owned one before...love 'em!

Shoulder Holster

I have a Galco Miami Classic also that works well for certain dress. The problem I have is with a G22 (16 rounds) and the two spare mags on the other side (30 more rounds) the straps tend to make my shoulders ache after a while, even sitting down. I was wondering if someone makes a wider harness to fit that holster/mag carrier combo.

Sorry, didn't mean to steal the thread !!

I Have A Fist, Vertical...

It is very comfortable, but because of the warm weather, I seldom wear it...once in a while on my bike...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    I have a Galco Miami Classic also that works well for certain dress. The problem I have is with a G22 (16 rounds) and the two spare mags on the other side (30 more rounds) the straps tend to make my shoulders ache after a while, even sitting down. I was wondering if someone makes a wider harness to fit that holster/mag carrier combo.

Sorry, didn't mean to steal the thread !!
    Of course...Galco! They make a harness called the SS2 harness - wide shoulder straps.
    www.usgalco.com

Administrator
    Howdy
    Let me help you out here because I carry in a shoulder holster a lot and I have for years.
    One of THE best shoulder holsters ever made is the Alessi rig designed by Louis Alessi. A master leather craftsman.
    His holster is the finest leather and does not have a traditional retention strap.
    His design features a Pull~Through one way snap that snaps over the front of the trigger guard. All you do is tug the firearm and you own it. It's lightning fast to draw from.
    Your Galco is OK for now but, once you are absolutely certain which exact firearm will be your every day carry then go for the Alessi. You can even keep your Galco harness system and just go for the Alessi holster. I would try to select a harness system with a soft wide shoulder strap though for better all day comfort.
    Also you might find yourself with an sore shoulder for a couple of weeks until your shoulder gets used to the weight of a firearm pulling down on it for 8, 10, or 12 hours. You do get used to it though.
    If you are not overweight then you should adjust your shoulder holster so that it is up just below your armpit with the muzzle canted slightly upward. Do not wear it down low near your belt. That is for TV only.
    Some folks who are very overweight have trouble drawing from under the opposing armpit and a shoulder rig might not be suitable for them.
    The most important thing to remember with Horizontal Shoulder Carry is to carry a high quality firearm in a good holster and basically leave it alone until you need it.
    If you ever DO need to re-holster after a defensive scenario then just make sure that you re-holster by turning your body so that your muzzle is (of course) pointed in a known safe direction or remove your shoulder rig - then re-holster and put it back on.

Practice your draw at home by following all Firearm CLEAR rules & with practice with an Alessi rig you'll find that you can get your firearm on target as quickly as a draw from the waist.

I am familiar with the McCann Crucible Series and Kelly is a fantastic instructor. His KYDEX rig right at 3:00 is great for impressive range work but, you obviously already know that it will not work too well for you out on the street. You don't want to walk around with a big bump on your strong side hip.

You can develop EXACTLY the same easy, fluid motion no matter where your firearm is located.
    Practice will do it for you.
    FAST/Speed to the firearm...then a proper grip...then finger off the trigger & out of the trigger guard since for the fastest draw you'll be lifting your support arm so that you're not covering your support arm as part of your draw sequence & then out to the target exactly al la McCann. It's hard to explain but you'll get the hang of it quickly.
    I wish I owned a video camera but, sadly I don't or I would do a vid of the draw.
    Just practice.

Oh here is one link that provides a little more information on the Alessi BodyGuard...CLICK HERE
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 13th, 2007 at 12:24 AM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thumbs up

Thanks Glock 'em down !!

I use one for some situations, but don't care much for them. Carrying a Glock 22 and two spare mags on the other side can get heavy, and tends to give me a headache that starts at the base of my skull and slowly overtakes my entire head. Also, on the weapon retention side of the arguement, if someone gets a hold of your stuff and yanks it out, it's pointed directly at your center of mass. That's a bad thing.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Great for hunting in foul weather, usually N frame Smiths with 6" .
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

I purchased a Lifeline rig from Ted Blocker for my Taurus PT92 almost 20 yrs ago and it still functions great! Actually, I just spoke with them last week about changing the holster to my new P229R.

Although I do not often carry it any longer, (the Taurus), I have the same rig for my 1911's and use it quite often. I do need to use the tie down on the mag side in the 1911 rig, but the 2 extra mags on the Taurus rig always balanced it out perfect without the tie down.

If you can leave a jacket on for a ample amount of time that you will be carrying, (without sweating like a oinker), this is a great rig!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Links