Taurus 651 Carry Suggestions

This is a discussion on Taurus 651 Carry Suggestions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I'm new to CC but have a lot of experience with guns, hunting, handloading etc. Before a totally unprovoked incident in my neighborhood ...

Thread: Taurus 651 Carry Suggestions

Taurus 651 Carry Suggestions

Hello All, I'm new to CC but have a lot of experience with guns, hunting, handloading etc. Before a totally unprovoked incident in my neighborhood with some bum (drunk & most likely tweaked on meth) working for a guy across the street I'd thought CCW to be a step forward, but more hassle than it was worth. Especially in Ohio where you can basically just carry concealed on your property or in your car, and even that wasn't allowed when it first passed. Needless to say I've changed my thinking now!

Anyhow I've recently purchased a Taurus 651 .357 Mag in Stainless (like std. 2.5" model 605, but semi-concealed hammer). I'm wondering what people think is a good way to carry it and what holsters are good to look into.

Being that it's small I could stick it in a pocket, but I also may opt for IWB on either side or small of the back. I want to get a good holster, but since I can't wear it a lot (not even to work downtown or the parking lot on my way here!) I don't want to sink a ton of $ into it either. Since work is out, I'll mostly be dressed casually and I'm also not much of a shorts person even in the summertime. More of a Jeans and T-shirt type. Any suggestions / recommendations are appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I carry a 605 in a pocket holster, Smartcarry, and IWB. I use a Uncle Mikes holster for pocket and IWB. If you were going to IWB most of the time I would get a better holster than a Uncle Mikes.

But since you have a 651 I would pocket carry most of the time.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Welcome to the forum.

Id pocket carry that bad boy.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Welcome fellow Ohioan. I would suggest the smart carry. The great thing about it is that if you decide to buy another gun, you don't need to buy another holster if you don't want to. There are more places to carry in Ohio than you think, hopefully they will change the liquor serving establishments law someday to allow you to carry in restaraunts. That is really my only gripe with the Ohio law.

Great advice! Thanks Everyone. I've just spent 20 minutes or so on the smart carry website and I'll probably order one of them soon. And the pocket carry is easy, logical, and cheap!

Schwebel your right, the Ohio law isn't that bad and I'm not sure about other states but you can't carry at some places by law and then it seems every business around Cincinnati has the no firearms sign posted. This includes places you really should carry, such as the stadium going to a Reds or Bengals game. Like my work, your safe once you get there, but the walk can be long, dark & dangerous. In fact, last summer I'd have to walk by a colony of "street people" {read: bums or panhandlers} living under a bridge RIGHT next to the Colesium (Firstar Center). I never had any problems with them b/c I went by in daylight hours but I wouldn't want to go by there at night when they all cash their panhandled $ for a bottle of Night Train!

Again I'm glad Ohio got the law passed and not really complaining, it just hampers me in my circumstances and the places I think I should be allowed to carry.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

See...Holster Sources (Tab) at top of page...great reference!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links