OWB Strongside Holster for Defensive Handgun Class

This is a discussion on OWB Strongside Holster for Defensive Handgun Class within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This September I am taking a Defensive Handgun class with my husband. The holster requirement for the class is a strongside, rigid non-IWB. In all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OWB Strongside Holster for Defensive Handgun Class

Senior Moderator

This September I am taking a Defensive Handgun class with my husband. The holster requirement for the class is a strongside, rigid non-IWB.

In all honesty, my husband and I have spent days (literally) going through the holster sources on this site (which are fabulous by the way) and we have come up with a few options and before I rush to buy I would like to run it by the "experts" and see what, if any, advice they would like to add. ("They" being all of you. )

Please, I would like any advice on either the holster makers, the holsters themselves, the materials, or even some advice on anything else I haven't thought of yet.

The first holster I am considering is the WilsonCombat Practical Holster with the Ladies Holster Adapter. The upside is that depending on what I wear I have "two" holsters I just have to add the Ladies adapter.

The second holster is the DOH Dropped & Offset Holster-SR Loop.

The third is the Com-Tac belt holster.

This is for a class, mainly. If I wear anything that allows for OWB carry I may use it for carry as well, but, again, it's mainly for the class.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome!

kpw
    If your class is fairly physically intensive with the possibillity of going prone or anything like that, go for the BladeTech or Com-Tac. It won't bug ya as much if the kydex gets scratched up and gouged. I bought a G-Code a few years back for the same reasons. I use it for courses like that and local shootin games. Sorry, I can't really comment on the ladies adapters cause I ain't equipped that way.

I can't speak to the other two, but I've got a Comp-Tac Settable Cant holster. It's a great holster, very well made and works nicely. I haven't really used it in the last few months since I switched to IWB carry shortly before I got my permit.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to get a special holster for the class? I've always been of the opinion that it's best to train with EDC gear.

I wear a Bianchi Minimalist for classes. Economical and works fine.

For information on getting your CCW License in California please visit CalCCW.

Check the Bianchi Model 82 Carry lock. I use it for carry, range and competition.

If interested in something that could also be used off-range for concealment, yet you want to keep it relatively simple and inexpensive, consider the Fist line of holsters. I'm impressed with them. Low prices, great workmanship, functional and effective, reasonable turnaround time. I've got a couple of them, with another on the way. Many are under $80.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you want to get a special holster for the class? I've always been of the opinion that it's best to train with EDC gear.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    This September I am taking a Defensive Handgun class with my husband. The holster requirement for the class is a strongside, rigid non-IWB.

Becasue she doesn't have a holster that meets class requirements...

ccw9mm...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If interested in something that could also be used off-range for concealment, yet you want to keep it relatively simple and inexpensive, consider the Fist line of holsters. I'm impressed with them. Low prices, great workmanship, functional and effective, reasonable turnaround time. I've got a couple of them, with another on the way. Many are under $80.
    I agree, with you description of Fist...I have 2 dozen+ of their holsters.

Always, quick 3-5 weeks, and great quality...
    No one seems to say much about Fist...seems like a great company. Actually, I'm waiting on three more holsters from them right now...

limatunes...
    For a self-defense class I took using my Pro CDP II, I did buy a good Galco paddle holster and it was great.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My .02 is you should train as you would fight. Either talk to the instructor for "rules relief" or get the holster that most closely duplicates what you will be wearing in the real world. Don't quite understand why they would prohibit IWB. (shoulder or crossdaraw perhaps)

When SHTF you will default to your level (method) of training.

comp-tac

I have a Wilson Practical and it does not work for me, hard for me to draw from and after a very small amount of wear it really looks beat up. I have had several Comp-tac holsters for different handguns and stongly recommend them. I like the locking paddle and I bought my wife the ladies version of the locking paddle and she really likes hers also.

Thanks, George

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gfmun View Post
    I have a Wilson Practical and it does not work for me, hard for me to draw from and after a very small amount of wear it really looks beat up. I have had several Comp-tac holsters for different handguns and stongly recommend them. I like the locking paddle and I bought my wife the ladies version of the locking paddle and she really likes hers also.

Thanks, George
    Looking at Comp Tac's website I don't see a "Ladies Locking Paddle", was that a custom order or is there an options list that I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    The holster requirement for the class is a strongside, rigid non-IWB.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Becasue she doesn't have a holster that meets class requirements...
    OK, but that still seems weird. I just can't see why an instructor in a defensive handgun class would want to prohibit someone from using their carry gear. Now, I can see why an instructor might want prohibit cross draw or shoulder holsters (sweeping the person next to you in the firing line when you draw is kind of a safety issue). However, I can't think of any safety reason to disallow IWB holsters. Some instructors also prohibit tacticool and IPSC type holsters that aren't really suitable for CCW, but again I can't see how that applies to banning IWB holsters.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    OK, but that still seems weird. I just can't see why an instructor in a defensive handgun class would want to prohibit someone from using their carry gear. Now, I can see why an instructor might want prohibit cross draw or shoulder holsters (sweeping the person next to you in the firing line when you draw is kind of a safety issue). However, I can't think of any safety reason to disallow IWB holsters. Some instructors also prohibit tacticool and IPSC type holsters that aren't really suitable for CCW, but again I can't see how that applies to banning IWB holsters.
    Regardless of this she still doesn't have a suitable holster for this class, IWB or OWB, this class requires a holster that allows easy one hand reholstering, her current IWB holster for her Kimber is a cheapy nylon peice of crap...but it works for now while exploring custom options.

In the mean time, we need to find her a holster for this class, preferably one that won't take 6 months or longer to get.
    Last edited by JD; April 14th, 2007 at 04:32 PM.

I might suggest an Uncle Mike's kydex belt holster for taking classes. They can be had for around $15-20 and gotten just about anywhere. Maybe even a Blackhawk SERPA holster if it fits the gun.

JDLV4_0 has it right that it is primarily for reholstering that they have this requirement. Saves you from sweeping your weak hand holding open holster with muzzle on reholstering.

my .02
    SY

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Regardless of this she still doesn't have a suitable holster for this class, IWB or OWB, this class requires a holster that allows easy one hand reholstering, her current IWB holster for her Kimber is a cheapy nylon peice of crap...but it works for now while exploring custom options.
    Kydex IWB holsters and leather IWBs with a reinforced mouth both allow easy one-handed reholstering. If the instructor will allow it, that's what I'd suggest, since it's closest to Lima's EDC methods. I really like the Comp-Tac C-T.A.C. holster. It's quite easy to holster a pistol in it one handed. A lot of people badmouth kydex IWBs as being uncomfortable, but I find that in the right spot, I don't even notice it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links