Flashlight + Magazine Pouch

This is a discussion on Flashlight + Magazine Pouch within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I am very interested in carrying a spare mag (for a .40S&W HK USP Compact) along with a Surefire Z2 flashlight. I figure ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight + Magazine Pouch

Flashlight + Magazine Pouch

Hello all,

I am very interested in carrying a spare mag (for a .40S&W HK USP Compact) along with a Surefire Z2 flashlight. I figure a combo pouch would work well, although I have had trouble finding one that fits my needs. Here are my thoughts:

Many combo pouches I've seen place the magazine in front of the flashlight. What is the reasoning behind placing the mag forward of the light? To me, as a civilian carrying concealed I feel like my flashlight would be the first (maybe only) thing I draw, so I feel like it would be better to have the mag behind the light.

I would certainly want to carry my light head down. It is definitely more natural to grip the Z2 from a head down position.

I really like the looks of the Brommeland MAG - FLASH Pouch, however, it is not available for the Surefire Z2 and has the mag in front of the light. I wonder if it is at all likely that they would make something like what I'm interested in.

I appreciate any suggestions and/or comments anyone may have.

Thank you all for your time.

Take care,

nasm

2. Remove Ads

I keep my mag pouch separate from anything else. My SureFire E2e is carried with a lanyard...in the pocket the lanyard allows for quick (dark) access...or, around the neck where I can quickly secure its use while pulling my weapon...

During the day...why carry a light?

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    During the day...why carry a light?

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The first time you are ever in a business (grocery store, department store, etc, etc) and the power goes off you will understand why!

They (flashlights) are also nice for looking under the dash to find the trucks fuse panel (which some engineer just had to tuck in an almost unreachable location for an adult ) and find the particular fuse that is burned out, without removing them all Besides which there are many times during the course of a day where a flashlight can come in handy.

If you want the light to be first, when talking about a combo pouch, just order the left handed for a right handed shooter and reverse for a left handed shooter.

I have a Don Hume model (don't know if they are still listed) and a Gould & Goodrich and both carry the light bezel up, I have a couple Stream Light Xenon Scorpions (114 lumens) and since I use my flashlight in the offset manner it works really well to have the pouch with a bezel up configuration.

I like the combo pouch, because it keeps the amount of things that adorn my belt to a minimum and you can also use the pouch to carry a leatherman tool instead of a magazine if you wish.

Actually, Thought About That...

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    The first time you are ever in a business (grocery store, department store, etc, etc) and the power goes off you will understand why!
    right after I posted...let me explain...

Back in July of 1988, my two sons and I were flying from Alaska to Detroit...with a stop in Denver (I believe...). Anyway, about 5 days prior to leaving AK, we changed our flight destination from Detroit to NM.
    While in the airport, I remember telling my boys (pointing to the plane departing) that that was the plane we were supposed to be on, but we're flying to NM instead...

Little did I know that we had avoided the Souix City plane crash of July 1988 of which about 1/2 of the people died...

I guess one never NEEDS a light until you NEED it!

Those who lived struggled to find their way out of a DARK and smoke-filled crumpled DC10...my point...a good light would have been quite useful...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

me
    Quote Originally Posted by nasm View Post
    Many combo pouches I've seen place the magazine in front of the flashlight. What is the reasoning behind placing the mag forward of the light? To me, as a civilian carrying concealed I feel like my flashlight would be the first (maybe only) thing I draw, so I feel like it would be better to have the mag behind the light....
    I really like the looks of the Brommeland MAG - FLASH Pouch, however, it is not available for the Surefire Z2 and has the mag in front of the light. I wonder if it is at all likely that they would make something like what I'm interested in.

I appreciate any suggestions and/or comments anyone may have.
    Make some phone calls... Check with the different holster makers and see what they can do for you. Some may tell you to get a left handed or they may make one to your specs.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I have made them both ways, (mag in front and mag in back) though I recommend mag in front as pictured on my web-site.
    Reason being, as a firearms instructor myself, all training schools will teach you to index the front of the spare mag with your index-finger as you draw in, using the index finger up the front of the mag as a guide to insert the magazine into the magazine well; thus turning a fine motor skill (putting the mag in the hole) into a gross motor skill (hands will find hands, fingers will find fingers - in the dark, under stres, without looking). It is difficult to get a good index on the spare mag if it is in the back of the pouch.
    Many of the better training schools even recommend only reloading with the front mag with a double mag-pouch, keeping the back mag as a secondary spare, and cycling thru your mags so the front one in the pouch is always fully loaded and ready to go.
    If you truely need a spare mag to reload, it will almost always be a SHTF situation; a true emergency. You do not want anything hampering instant and fumble-free acess to a spare mag. Usually when you need a flashlight you will have prior warning, or have it in your hand, a situation you can be prepared and set-up for. In 18 years of police-work, (most of it working graveyard shift) I can't recall a single time where I had to rapidly draw a flashlight. rarely is one thrust into sudden darkness without some prior knowledge of what they are getting into.
    Even if your are in a situation where the lights suddenly go out, it may be best to remain silent and motionless, using darkness as cover and to your advantage; rather than instantly flicking on a flashlight and giving away your position without assessing.
    You are correct that you will use your flashlight more than a spare mag, but when you need a spare mag you REALLY need it and will be under stress.
    Last edited by Mark Garrity; April 14th, 2007 at 11:16 PM.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I carry my 6p always. It makes a great last ditch weapon and I carry it when I go to work in a victim zone. Beats nuthin' at all!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I have made my own Mag/Light combo and it works great. I have used my light every other day to make it easier to see. I used it today to verify I power washed the mud off the bottom of the truck.

I'm also making one for a client with mag forward and light behind. I'll post pics when finished in the next few days.

Here is my VERY rough prototype I use every day.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    I have made them both ways, (mag in front and mag in back) though I recommend mag in front as pictured on my web-site.

<snip>

If you truely need a spare mag to reload, it will almost always be a SHTF situation; a true emergency. You do not want anything hampering instant and fumble-free acess to a spare mag.
    A couple of things John Farnam wrote convinced me that nothing should go on my weak side in front of my mag carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by John Farnam
    Good tip from a friend and colleague in the federal system:

"In the middle of qualification, one of our officers attempted an emergency reload. He tried, in vain, for the better part of fifteen seconds, to jam his Motorola flip phone his pistol's magazine well. Needless to say, he failed the course and had to do it again. I am glad this happened on the range, so we could all learn from it."

Lesson: Keep your cell phone far away from your spare magazine carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Farnam
    From a friend with a PD on the East Coast:

"It's in vogue for everybody to carry some type of big knife. Last week, while running a qualification course, I watched one of our officers, who is no amateur with a pistol, swiftly speed load his Buck 110 folding knife into the magazine well of his SIG 228! He had placed his knife pouch in front of his magazine carrier. The two apparently felt the same, and he withdrew the knife, indexed properly I might add, and shoved it into the gun."

Lessons: Don't put things of less importance than your spare magazine in front of it!
    Now, a flashlight is less likely to be mistaken for a spare mag than a cellphone or knife, but I think the same principle still applies. Nothing less important than your spare mag (like knives, cellphones, or flashlights) goes in front of it on the belt.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Presently I have my leatherman in the pouch it came with on my weak side and just in front of it is my extra mag housed in a pouch that originally came with a cheaper multitool \ leatherman copy.

I'd really like a 3 combo for my Mag, leatherman and flashlight.
    For God, Family and Country!

Thank you for all the responses

Well,

From what it seems I guess I won't be looking to put anything in front of my spare mag. I'll also take the idea of carrying separate holders for each into consideration. The surefire holder fitting the Z2 head down is pretty sweet looking, I'll stop by my local dealer soon and check it out.

Thanks again for the thoughtful responses as usual.

Take care,

nasm

P.S. any other responses are of course always welcome. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I always have a Surefire on my. Personally I use either a SOS from Mitch Rosen or a very close copy made by the folks at Rafter S. Actually I only have one Mitch Rosen and three from Rafter S. That allows me to have one mag and a Surefire 6P or 6Z on my belt. When using my UC Comfort I use my Surefire E2 Executive in one of the pouches.

In addition to my Surefire, I also carry two (yes 2) of the Photon 2 led lights. One around my neck and one on my key chain. Those lil lights are simply wonderful. Once while in a chow hall on a secured base during the Kosovo war, the power went out and I pulled out my little Photon 2 and turned it on hanging from a ceeling fan and it was enough to light up almost the entire chow hall but provided enough light for all of us (about 150 soldiers) to eat easily.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    I always carry a flashlight or two for reasons already stated....you never know when/if you will need one.

My Eric Larsen/HBE Leather-made combo pouch is part of my EDC kit:

USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Del Fatti leather makes a nice, compact carrier for the Z2 - it's basically a band of leather that goes across the narrow part of the light, allowing you to carry it bulb up or down. It's very simple, but works well.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links