Defensive Carry banner

Discreet CCW Backpack

22K views 95 replies 52 participants last post by  bustoff 
#1 ·
I've decided to try off the body carry due to my office job setting. Finding a holster that fits my dress clothes and tucked in shirt has been impossible. I've tried nearly every method and nothing has worked for me.

Now normally, I would not consider off the body carry, but this would be used strictly during M-F 8-5. My building is very secure, requiring swipe badges to get past the front door lobby, which one only get you access to the hallways, bathrooms, and breakrooms. And then each office suite has their own key swipe card. So I have no real fear of someone getting in my office and stealing my backpack while I'm getting something off the printer. I can hang the backpack off the back of my chair or put it under my desk at my feet.

The problem I have is finding a backpack specifically designed for CCW that doesn't scream TACTICAL! I don't want molle attachments or hook and loop sections covering thr outside, I don't want multi-cam, tan, or OD colors either. Just something that looks like an ordinary backpack on the outside, but would have a designated compartment for ccw with a hook and loop section to secure a holster inside. My ccws are all Glocks and I won't have one loose in a compartment without the trigger guard covered.

I would be interested in either a single or double strap style backpack, not a messenger bag or laptop bag style. I've looked at the Maxpedition models and they are all too tactical for what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

See less See more
#40 ·
I have considered a "meeting planner" holster, such as this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Conce...qid=1462446207&sr=8-9&keywords=pistol+handbag

By the way, I bought a small gun safe that I have screwed into one of the drawers in my desk. There are some times when I have to go to a meeting at a federal facility or other place where guns are prohibited, and locking my gun away while I go makes me feel a lot more comfortable than just leaving it safe behind a card key (cleaning crews have card keys).

#42 ·
By the way, I bought a small gun safe that I have screwed into one of the drawers in my desk. There are some times when I have to go to a meeting at a federal facility or other place where guns are prohibited, and locking my gun away while I go makes me feel a lot more comfortable than just leaving it safe behind a card key (cleaning crews have card keys).
That's true and a good point. Our cleaning crews don't come in until after work hours though and I would never leave my gun if I were to leave the building. I'd lock it up in my car if I needed to leave the building for any reason.

#43 ·
I have a day planner with a hidden CCW compartment. I only used it a couple of times before I realized what a pain in the butt it is. Now that I've tried it I know that whenever I see someone carrying a day planner into the rest room, they're probably carrying. I suppose you could lock it in a desk drawer when not using it.

I think most day packs would work in combination with a pocket holster.

#45 ·
A couple of things...with information just a click away, I don't consider any packs designed to conceal guns discreet in an environment where you don't want your friends to know you have a gun. If I like someone's bag, I ask them what it is or look at the label on the bag and look for it online. I think it would be more discreet to get a "regular" pack and find a way to put your gun in it.

I don't know how far away you venture from your office. My old office was very secure but there were at least five times in my 20 years there where I had to evacuate the building due to fires, fire drills and one earthquake! In those cases, I was on the shop floor and the evacuation points were not near my office. While I didn't carry a gun, I had some pretty expensive stuff in my very secure office that I couldn't get to.

#46 ·
I "brownbag" my lunch from home and have one of these.

Bag Product Thermal bag Fashion accessory Bowling ball bag

Plenty of room in the upper compartment for things and stuff. And it will still keep your lunch cold as well. Hardly looks tactical at all.

#48 ·
Like I said, it would not be left unattended during the day. If I leave, the bag would go with me.

I work in a very professional environment and trust my colleagues greatly, especially not to snoop in my personal belongings. Not that they'd have much of a chance, the printer is about 5 seconds away from my door and that's the only time I'd be leaving a backpack "unattended".

#50 ·
Depends on your office environment, what you're planning on concealing, and what kind of coworkers you have.

This Vertx Gamut EDC plus bag in gray/blue holds a laptop, a bajillion cables, testers, tools, etc... and a 7.5" folding AR with 3 spare mags...
Thread:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...icool-backpack-ar-pistol-sbr.html#post4063750

Pics:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AClvo6msiSsTOD4&id=23DA11C02F3C916C!896&cid=23DA11C02F3C916C

I carry this to/from work daily. It lives in the office with me and even though technically behind a locked door if I have to leave the office for a few minutes, it's also cable locked to the desk itself as part of the morning routine on arrival every morning.

If you stay in your office most of the time could you get away with just mounting a quick opening pistol safe to the underside of the desk or something?

#55 ·
There are also all kinds of people who are able to carry legally that are not able to find a carry solution to fit their situation. I know several myself and there are lots of similar threads from other people over the years. So no, I'm not unique.

And I've decided on the backpack method, just looking at 3 different models now.

#58 ·
You get dragged into a meeting while away from your desk...Oh wait, lemme get my bag. Uh, why?

A co-worker asks you to join him for lunch out...Why you bringing that bag to lunch?

Seriously, you do not need pleated pants to pocket carry. A pocket holster with a flat anti print panel is the way to go. I tried briefcase carry years ago...it sucks. I have been pocket carrying in a professional environment for years. The LCPs in my pockets trump your Glock in the bag.

You are getting good advice that you refuse to heed.

Come on back in six months. Seriously doubt you'll still be using the bag method.

Good luck

Reactions: BenGoodLuck
#61 ·
All you guys crack me up being against off body carry, that would be like convincing me that AIWB is the only way to go, sometimes believe it or not off body carry is not only convenient but a necessity. I did it in a backpack for two years, and now when I work construction I still carry in a Maxpedition bag, it's not just a choice, I have to do it if I want to carry sometimes. First, I can't risk a customer seeing it while I'm in a compromising position, second, many times I have to enter their residence and it is illegal to do so without informing the homeowner here in Arkansas. I sometimes carry a NAA Pug or my LCP in my pocket if I'm not going to get wet, sweat copiously, or get covered in trash, but I always have my gun-many times two in my bag which is discrete enough whenever I'm at work. If I'm not at work....I carry 90% of the time on my person.

Give the guy a break, he's expressed he cant do it at work and he just needs a few suggestions from people that have/do bag or off body carry. When he's not at work he probably straps a big honking gun to his belt...but not at work.

#63 ·
My thought on carry is this: Something is better than nothing.
Sure on-body carry is best - you can't lose it or have it stolen and (usually) draw is faster. But the realities of life dictate there are time when off-body is not only ok, it's warranted.
Personally, I carry off body in a MOAB 6. Hidden compartment that's very easily accessible for me if I need it. Cross body, so no one is taking it off me.

If I'm given a choice of armed but off body or not armed because _fill-in-the-blank_, I'm taking armed every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Whatever it takes for you to feel comfortable carrying, do it.

#65 ·
If the OPs coworkers are trustworthy he can add a small lock to to the zippers that have access to the compartment holding his gun to help keep his coworkers honest.

People here come up with all these special explanations to tell people what the bulge on their waist is (ie. Medical device). I'm sure the OP can come up with a reason to why he needs to have his bag with him at lunch or at meetings that doesn't give away the fact that he has a gun in his bag. Given how oblivious people are in general they probably won't notice or give a second thought to the OP having his bag on him at all times.

#66 ·
I knew when I started this thread that there would be a good number of people ignore my question and instead try to convince me to do something else that they prefer. But what I didn't mention is that I've been a ccw holder for 11 years and I'm also a FFL holder. I have owned and tried more guns and holster options than a large majority of people here. But I wasn't going to get into that. I know I've given all the options a chance, so when I respond with why something else won't work, it's because I've already tried it or because I know my situation won't allow it. I'm not trying to shoot down alternate suggestions, it's just that I've already been through them in my head before and know they won't work. Come up with a method that I haven't thought of yet and I'll give it an honest consideration, but I think I've covered them all already myself.

And yes, on the weekends and when I'm off work I carry in a traditional IWB holster on my body.

#67 ·
That's a dilemma... I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but have you considered an extra slim carry piece and start wearing jackets/sport coats for coverage? You may have to just be the most stylish person around to stay concealed. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.