Defensive Carry banner

Discreet CCW Backpack

22K views 95 replies 52 participants last post by  bustoff 
#1 ·
I've decided to try off the body carry due to my office job setting. Finding a holster that fits my dress clothes and tucked in shirt has been impossible. I've tried nearly every method and nothing has worked for me.

Now normally, I would not consider off the body carry, but this would be used strictly during M-F 8-5. My building is very secure, requiring swipe badges to get past the front door lobby, which one only get you access to the hallways, bathrooms, and breakrooms. And then each office suite has their own key swipe card. So I have no real fear of someone getting in my office and stealing my backpack while I'm getting something off the printer. I can hang the backpack off the back of my chair or put it under my desk at my feet.

The problem I have is finding a backpack specifically designed for CCW that doesn't scream TACTICAL! I don't want molle attachments or hook and loop sections covering thr outside, I don't want multi-cam, tan, or OD colors either. Just something that looks like an ordinary backpack on the outside, but would have a designated compartment for ccw with a hook and loop section to secure a holster inside. My ccws are all Glocks and I won't have one loose in a compartment without the trigger guard covered.

I would be interested in either a single or double strap style backpack, not a messenger bag or laptop bag style. I've looked at the Maxpedition models and they are all too tactical for what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

See less See more
#70 ·
I've decided to try off the body carry due to my office job setting. Finding a holster that fits my dress clothes and tucked in shirt has been impossible. I've tried nearly every method and nothing has worked for me...Any suggestions?
I often carry my G30SF in a belly band, which is very secure and allows me to completely tuck in my shirt. The belt is adjustable both in fit and location of the gun. I bought my belly band here:

The Original Belly Band

FYI, I often exercise (jogging/elliptical/lifting) while carrying my G30SF in the belly band. I've never had any issues with gun security or comfort. YMMV.

Have you worn the belly band with an undershirt? I've carried in the belly band for months at a time and never had itching problems. I understand we're all different, just offering what's worked for me. I avoid off-body carry whenever possible because of the myriad tactical and practical issues that might arise when I wouldn't have my EDC on me.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/always-something-pros-cons-body-carry/

p.s. When you're asking for advice, the more info you provide, the better. Waiting until post # 66 to let us know that you've tried many other options is important info.

#71 ·
I said early on that I've tried pretty much every method already. Yes, I tried the undershirt with the belly band and it didn't work either. The best way I can explain it is comparing it to wearing a pair of tall, tight socks. They make your legs itch after several days and make your leg hair feel funny. It was the same with the belly band. Worked great until about 3pm on the third day, then it had my skin crawling and I was constantly adjusting and scratching.

#87 ·
#72 ·
#75 ·
I'd recommend you not carry a forearm in a bag for the same reason I tell women not to carry them in their purse. Bags are attractive items to steal. There are many carry options not in or on the waistband.

And I don't think it's a good idea to leave a pistol laying around when you are not with the bag. On the other hand, if I saw a co-worker carrying a bag into the bathroom I'd be figuring drugs or alcohol and that brings more attention.

If you are at a construction site - lock it in a vehicle in a personal vault. Either way, on you or secured, bag not needed. Ankle, IWB, other. Have it with you or lock it up someplace safe. Slip it in a day planner or laptop case if you want unobtrusive.

If you were asking the best way to clean a loaded gun you'd probably get a similar response not strictly adhering to the original concept.

#76 ·
Slip it in a day planner or laptop case if you want unobtrusive.
I'm sorry, but if having it in a day planner or laptop case is acceptable.. what suddenly makes having it in a DIFFERNT container off the body, i.e. a backpack, suddenly bad? I'm confused.

Rather than try and change the OP's opinion... would it be possible to give him data that he is looking for and those who don't like the idea.. hold off trying to change his mind and move on to other topics?

#78 ·
Olympus - You know, your thread has inspired me. I've been carrying for about 15 years, and like you, much of that time has been in a professional office environment. That mode of dress certainly complicates concealed carry.

Like you, I've tried numerous methods of carry over the years. I tried a belt-mounted pouch, but it didn't really match the wardrobe.

I tried the holster undershirts, but they are hot and the grip of my Glock printed if I took off my suit jacket...and the draw was very slow.

I tried a belly band, but it rotated and didn't keep the gun positioned properly. Also hot and scratchy.

I used a Smartcarry for a few years, but after some time it became painful, from having the backstrap of my Glock pushing into the same spot while sitting. Plus, it required the use of pleated pants, which are not hep to the jive anymore, and mark me as an outdated fashion risk.

I tried carrying in my laptop bag, but it violates the "5th rule" of gun safety...maintain control over your gun at all times.

Ankle carry is no good...cannot cross your legs.

I pocket carry, but I cannot carry my Glock that way, and it takes up a pocket that I want for other stuff!

So, I've decided I will carry my Glock inside my pants, below my belt line, Mexican-style, using a string loop to keep the gun from sliding all the way down my pants at an inopportune time. Now, don't anyone go and try to convince me otherwise...my mind is made up. I've been carrying a long time, and as you can see, I've already tried everything else.

What I need to know is...what brand of string should I use to carry my loaded Glock this way?

Thank you all. You guys are the best!

Reactions: hackberry
#80 ·
I don't understand why off body carry bothers so many people. I don't like appendix carry and think its pretty risky drawing and reholstering. I think it's a terrible way to carry but there are a lot of people out there who carry that way because it works for them and that's what they feel they need to do. I have no input for them becahse I doubt I'll change their mind nor do I care to, they aren't hurting me. If someone asked what the advantages and disadvantages of appendix carry are then I might give some advice, but...

#83 ·
I'm not a fan of appendix carry either.

In the military we were beat upside the head that we were responsible for the security of our weapons and sensitive gear. Never to be more than arms length away. Off body carry violates this rule.

Pocket carry is probably the best answer, but the OP is insisting on carrying his Glock because of his "system." Well, sometimes the system has to be flexible enough to bend to the situation. The LCP or snub in the pocket beats the Glock in the bag a few feet or yards away. And I'm not buying that the OP can't make it work.

I don't really care about the OP, he isn't listening. I'm more concerned with newbies who might read this and think bag carry is a great idea.

#85 ·
Sometimes I bag carry. Sometimes it is a great idea. Sometimes it's a necessary great idea.
If you say so. But not in the OP's situation.

Referring back to your earlier post, if you are going to get wet, you can place your pocketed gun inside a small zip lock bag. If you need to enter somewhere it isn't legal to carry, you can lock the gun up inside a vehicle safe.

If you are a nudist, then you are better off with a CCW fanny pack, that at least stays on you, than in a bag that gets left around.

Women, who often wear clothes that don't allow for belts, are form fitting, and that lack pockets - still find a way to carry on-body (my wife uses a Kangaroo holster for her LCP, for example). It's not a question of feasibility...it is a question of will.

Anyway - good luck.

Reactions: hackberry
#89 ·
lol I joined just to reply to this post. Sorry if I revived a dead thread...but anyways...

So...OP has stated what exactly would work for the environment he's in. On-body carry is not an option. Tacticool is not an option so no molle.

He's already stated that an everyday ordinary looking bag with a compartment that's specific for a CCW is what would work for him.

With that being said, I just recently bought this backpack: CamelBak Dispatch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G...k+dispatch&dpPl=1&dpID=418FN-RyInL&ref=plSrch

It's basically CamelBak's Urban Assault backpack with a lumbar CCW pack.

And if somebody asks OP what kind of backpack it is, he's got the option to point them to the non-CCW version, depending on the situation.

Anyways, here is the review for the bag that convinced me to buy it:

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/camelbak-dispatch-first-thoughts.127095/

I had considered the 5.11 Covert line of bags but I feel 5.11 is associated with "CCW" so I avoided that brand. Sure it may work for some. But I wanted to avoid the stereotype associated with the name.

Hope this helps!

#90 ·
#92 ·
I had similar problem at work, but since I am an electronic technician, I wore a small electrician tool pouch on my belt. Had a small screwdriver and pencil in external sleeves for camouflage main compartment fit my compact 9 and extra mag. Top zippered up. No one ever asked about it. In your case, after you find your backpack, I would try to lock it in a cabinet or desk drawer when away...if at all possible. Good luck!

#94 ·
I understand exactly where you are coming from with the office environment and tucked shirts. I personally wear pleated pants, and I also have to go un-gun twice a day to pick up my kids from daycare, so I ended up going with pocket carry. I mostly use the Recluse 2 sided holster for the G42 and like others have said.. just looks like an iPhone in my pocket. I've NEVER had anyone think anything different. With that said... I know that isn't what you are looking for.

If you want to try one other carry method though I'll tell you what works well for me. In a lot of situations I carry IWB, but like you... I'm very cognizant of the clips showing up in an office environment. What I found is that I can buy a nylon Velcro belt about 1.5" wide. I wear an under shirt with my dress shirts, so I put on the undershirt, and then I put my holster on the belt and put it on around my waist but over the under shirt. That keeps the belt and holster off of my skin, and the belt holds the gun and holster in place. I then put on my dress shirt, and pants and any normal belt just like normal. Your pants and main belt no longer have to hold up the gun (but they do need to be bigger in the waistband of course), and if you go to the bathroom, etc... the gun stays put. There are zero clips anywhere outside of your clothes to be seen, and for me it's extremely comfortable. You may have to put just a little bit of rubber non-skid tape on the outside of a kydex holster just to make sure your pants don't slide down off of it. I also love this method because it works extremely well when out in the yard or out for a walk, or a hike with athletic shorts, etc. Once the nylon belt is broken in and soft... it's extremely soft even against your skin. I use the Stealthgear usa iwb holster 99% of the time, but it actually works with an Alien Gear as well.

I know you like the G26 and the glock system... but for work carry a G43 is extremely slim, same method of operation as your g26, and it is damn near invisible even with a Taran Tactical +2 magazine extension when carried in the method I described above. It "can" be pocket carried.. but you do have to plan around it a bit. 8+1 of 9mm isn't all that bad. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have extra carry options!

#96 ·
If you want to try one other carry method though I'll tell you what works well for me. In a lot of situations I carry IWB, but like you... I'm very cognizant of the clips showing up in an office environment. What I found is that I can buy a nylon Velcro belt about 1.5" wide. I wear an under shirt with my dress shirts, so I put on the undershirt, and then I put my holster on the belt and put it on around my waist but over the under shirt. That keeps the belt and holster off of my skin, and the belt holds the gun and holster in place. I then put on my dress shirt, and pants and any normal belt just like normal. Your pants and main belt no longer have to hold up the gun (but they do need to be bigger in the waistband of course), and if you go to the bathroom, etc... the gun stays put. There are zero clips anywhere outside of your clothes to be seen, and for me it's extremely comfortable.
Good idea. Kind of a do-it-yourself belly band. Might be a good way to get some use out of one of those "extra" holsters everyone seems to have lying around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.