Defensive Carry banner

Discreet CCW Backpack

22K views 95 replies 52 participants last post by  bustoff 
#1 ·
I've decided to try off the body carry due to my office job setting. Finding a holster that fits my dress clothes and tucked in shirt has been impossible. I've tried nearly every method and nothing has worked for me.

Now normally, I would not consider off the body carry, but this would be used strictly during M-F 8-5. My building is very secure, requiring swipe badges to get past the front door lobby, which one only get you access to the hallways, bathrooms, and breakrooms. And then each office suite has their own key swipe card. So I have no real fear of someone getting in my office and stealing my backpack while I'm getting something off the printer. I can hang the backpack off the back of my chair or put it under my desk at my feet.

The problem I have is finding a backpack specifically designed for CCW that doesn't scream TACTICAL! I don't want molle attachments or hook and loop sections covering thr outside, I don't want multi-cam, tan, or OD colors either. Just something that looks like an ordinary backpack on the outside, but would have a designated compartment for ccw with a hook and loop section to secure a holster inside. My ccws are all Glocks and I won't have one loose in a compartment without the trigger guard covered.

I would be interested in either a single or double strap style backpack, not a messenger bag or laptop bag style. I've looked at the Maxpedition models and they are all too tactical for what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

See less See more
#5 ·
A briefcase would be a little old fashioned and would kind of stand out in my building. A young guy carrying a briefcase would look a little out of place, whereas a young guy with a backpack wouldn't stand out at all. Plus, I like having the added benefit of using the backpack for a few EDC things like flashlight, leatherman, knife, etc. I would not be using the backpack for anything work-related.

Like I said, the backpacks that are meant for hiking and stuff are not meant to carry concealed weapons. I'd rather find something that is meant specifically for CCW rather than try to modify something else to fit my needs. At least right now until I figure out if there is even such a thing that fits my description. If there is no such thing, then I may be forced to adapt something like a hiking bag to fit my need.

#6 ·
Why not an ankle holster or pocket carry? That would keep it on your person. But, I am not to hip on leaving a gun anywhere off body in an office environment. Just not a good idea no matter how secure it is. Do you really think people won't snoop if you are not around? Best advice, try harder to find a way to keep it on your person. Even if it means carrying a smaller caliber at work. Think of it like this, have any women at your office ever had anything taken from their purses or for that matter, their purses taken, or has anyone ever had anything stolen from their desks? Just food for thought. Nothing left out of your sight is secure, even if it's just a few seconds getting a copy off a printer.

Reactions: 10thmtn
#8 ·
What about a belly band? That's what I use when I have to wear a tucked shirt.

As far as backpack, wouldn't a basic 2 compartment one work? I'm thinking you could velcro a Sticky or Remora holster in the smaller, front compartment. That way the trigger is covered and your gun will stay in place plus you could still carry IWB or pocket, if the need arises.

Reactions: BenGoodLuck
#10 ·
There's always the ... ahem ... European Shoulder Bag.

Reactions: Kurt2k
#12 ·
I understand your situation and find myself in the same every once in a while. I use a 5.11 Covrt 18. Comes in multiple colors, none of the clearly tactical OD green or FDE, etc. There is an internal compartment between the front where you would typically put pens, cords, calculators, etc. and the main compartment where books and laptop would go. The inside of that pocket is lined with a large velcro pad which you can secure one of their 'universal' type holsters. You could probably find another way to affix a different holster if you'd like. It opens from either side, and is very wide opening.

The zipper to this pouch is pretty inconspicuous, and has never raised any flags from anyone I have been around. As an example, I shoved a water bottle in the pocket before heading to the airport on accident and it took TSA over a minute to find the zipper to get to the pouch, so it's not very obvious at all.

I use the bag daily whether I am carrying in it or not. Had it for about two years. Nothing fancy, pretty comfortable for modest 'office' loads, and has held up extremely well.

It has a lot of other cool features, here's the first link I found on google:

5.11 Tactical Covrt 18 Tactical Backpack

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it.

#19 ·
Well I've never CCW's in a bathing suit but I carry (Glock 19 In Alien Gear IWB holster) wearing a suit to church every Sunday morning and a tucked in shirt and jeans Sunday nights. I guess I must do it pretty well because a "gun guy" at church asked me about a year after Illinois LTC started being issued if I'd applied. I said I've had it for about a year. He said I was doing a good job of concealing.

#17 ·
I understand what you say about blending, My kids would not carry a briefcase either! I would take a good look at pocket carry. It's made for work dress. A good pocket holster will break up the outline of the gun, and there will be none of the straps, clips, etc showing on your belt. Good luck DR

#24 ·
I'll try to answer all the questions. Ankle holsters not really good because your pants come up when you sit down and I don't want to buy new pants.

Pocket carry is not a good option because I use a Glock 26 and I use all Glocks for personal, home, and vehicles. Interchangeable mags with all guns and it's more of a "system". And a small gun would still print pretty badly with pocket carry. My dress pants are not exactly loose fitting enough for a gun anyway.

Never had anything stolen from people at work before. In my office suite, there's only about 12 of us, all women except for two of us. I'm not afraid of leaving a bag unattended at all.

Tried the belly band and that was the closest thing to working. But after about 3 days in a row of wearing it, I would get really itchy and uncomfortable. Like when you wear a pair of tall tube socks all day and when you take them off your legs are all itchy and your leg hair feels funny.

#27 ·
If you use a pocket holster with an anti print panel (wallet holster) it will look like a smartphone or wallet in your pocket. The LCP is like a Glock, in that it is point and shoot.

Another option is the Smartcarry holster. You can use it to carry your Glock. Works better with loose fitting, pleated pants.

#33 ·
I would recommend something like a the north face, jansport, under armor, etc backpack or sling pack that everyone else carries. Find one with a compartment that can fit a specialty panel that can secure a holster to it too keep the gun secured. Nobody will be any wiser.

While this guy's youtube channel focus is on how he EDCs an SBR or Pistol braced gun he seems to have actual experience with off body carry in bag in an office/workplace environment. He had good advise in other videos regarding using a lock for the bag, if you leave it unattended in your office. Good luck with the bag search. If you find a set up that works for you please share. I would be interested to see what you went with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.