Retention strap - or no?

Retention strap - or no?

This is a discussion on Retention strap - or no? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Overall - I favor no strap - I do not want anything that will impede the draw, tho I know folks with them reckon to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retention strap - or no?

Assistant Administrator

Retention strap - or no?

Overall - I favor no strap - I do not want anything that will impede the draw, tho I know folks with them reckon to be pretty slick breaking free. (I have a couple of rigs with straps - one is for the R9 - a belt slide.)

I do as a result want a rig where I can all but do a handstand (ha - used to - no more since arm got bust) ... and it stays put.

There are those who want the piece to be harder for a BG to wrestle into his possession - valid point but - for me, I would hope sufficient situational awareness would have me at very least with hand close, if not on gun.

So - your choices?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

As a private citizen "absolutely no retention strap"!!! If i was a Police Officer,worked Security Detail, etc, etc, I would want a secure holster with retention strap.

I once asked this very question in an email to Mr. Mika of Mika's Pocket Holsters. I wanted an IWB holster for my 642 and wasn't sure if I needed a strap or not.

He asked of me if I was planning to:

#1. Climb fences while carrying the gun
    #2. Chase down criminals
    #3. Wrestle people into the back of a patrol car

My answers were of course

No
    No
    And No

I ordered a strapless holster and it works great. The fact that I have a cover garment over the gun is what cinches it for me: it puts that layer of (perceived?) defense between me and the gun grabber, and if I were to reach for it the strap causes just a tiny bit of delay I can avoid altogether. I think my future holsters will be sans strap whenever possible.

If I were to carry a heavier gun, like the GP100 I am considering, I'd probably want a strap.

Im another who says no to straps

All my Sam Andrews holster with the exception of the McDaniel II Special have thumb break straps. However, in the times since I bought those, I have switched to several of the Blade Tech and FOBUS style paddle holsters and in Kydex, I favor open top. If I was working in a courthouse as a corrections officer, I'd favor a retention level III holster. For CCW I'm leaning to open top.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    I, too, opt for no retention strap for concealed carry. I don't mind them on a gun I am going to be wearing in the boonies while camping or prospecting or any other activity where I would be working at different tasks. I ordered my Andrews Hybrid holster without a strap....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    I have to concur with the masses on this one, no strap.

For duty purposes, yes, I believe in have a retention strap. Not on CCW.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Strapless for me too, big boy.
    ....uhoh, did I use my outside voice?

Dan

Administrator
    I think that all "form fitted" "BONED" leather holsters and molded Kydex holsters fit the individual weapons they are constructed for so dang well (these days) that a retention strap is not at all necessary.
    They ARE necessary on the cheaper, generic, or multi~weapon ballistic nylon type holsters. You know..."those holsters" that fit "All Large Framed Autos" and "All Medium Framed Revolvers" ~ then...FOR SURE use the useful retention strap.
    I still think that the very best SURVIVAL, Camping, or (as Bumper mentioned) Prospecting type holsters should have either a retention strap or maybe even a full protective cover flap.
    Law Enforcement Persons and anyone doing "Open Carry" should never rely on just a retention strap and they should absolutely opt for a modern "Snatch & Grab Proof" open carry holster design. Just my opinion.

Black sheep here

Well, being into bondage, I have a thing for leather straps. ;) Well, maybe not. But seriously, I favor thumb breaks because there are some situations where policy dictates that my holster have a strap, and I like to do things the same way every time, especially if my life may depend on it. If I always have a thumb break, and always practice with a thumb break, it's less likely that I'll forget it under stress than if I have some open holsters in the mix.

BTW, a simple thumb break is EASILY and QUICKLY defeated by someone with a little training. It will aid in retention of the weapon in vigorous activity, but will not even slow a trained attacker down.

One more opinion while I'm at it. I honestly don't think a thumb break slows down the draw if you have practiced adequately.

SSKC

In testing, there is no speed difference with or without thumbreak, for the person with experience.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    One more opinion while I'm at it. I honestly don't think a thumb break slows down the draw if you have practiced adequately.
    I agree with you on the thumb snap. On holsters that do have a strap, the thumb snap is the only type of strap I would consider. They don't seem to slow down presentation much, if at all.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

A little story for ya'll. Mtrapper was recently in a violent car accident (he's fine). We both had similiar holsters (no strap) up till a few weeks before the accident. Mtrapper bought a Bianchi OWB holster with some sort of a retention lock on it and started using it for daily carry. While driving to work, his truck was struck by another truck on the highway. His truck flipped upside down and slid on the roof before smashing into the guard rail and stopping.

Mtrapper was stuck hanging upside down in his truck for some time before the firefighters could extract him from the wreckage. His Glock 23 never came lose from the holster and he was able to maintain control of his weapon.

Wierd stuff happens...I just bought one today.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

Lead Moderator
    I use a retent. Strap holster, cause I worry about the gun falling out. Especially if ya consider someone grabbing or wrestling with you. Too easy for a pistol to go sliding away from ya IMO.

I could the effectiveness of a strap on a shoudler rig, but that is about it. No straps here.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links