Am I Crazy Or Just Stupid?

This is a discussion on Am I Crazy Or Just Stupid? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've done a couple of searches hereabouts and didn't find anything that "hit the spot" so I wanted to toss out a question in the ...

Thread: Am I Crazy Or Just Stupid?

I've done a couple of searches hereabouts and didn't find anything that "hit the spot" so I wanted to toss out a question in the hope of getting some input.

Here's the deal...

My permit should show up in the mail any day now. My state just enacted CCW this year. I previously had a permit in AZ, but haven't been able to carry since moving "back home" to NE 4 yrs ago. Due to the weather in AZ (Yuma), I usually just carried in a pocket.

Although I have many handguns to choose from, I bought a 1991a1 specifically for carry when our CCW law passed.

Here's where I'm wondering what's wrong with me: I want to carry IWB at a 10 or 11 o'clock position for a right hander...in other words a "belly gun" in an IWB crossdraw holster.

Since I've retired from the service I've gone up to a 40" waist and have developed a moderate "tactical tummy". I recently acquired a couple of dozen pairs of jeans from our local "freecycle" website (Yes, free servicable clothes just for the asking) in various waist sizes of 40, 42, 44 so I have plenty of everyday wear to adjust for holster needs. I spend all of my time in casual clothes. I only work 3 days a week driving my 18 wheeler to Chicago and back...won't be doing any CCW on that trip.

Anybody have any options that will suit my unusual requirements?
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

I would respectfully recommend that you consider going with a strong side carry - something from 3:00 to maybe 4:30. That position allows you to draw in a straight line with your target without ever pointing the gun at yourself or anyone else. It will also be more comfortable, concealable, and much safer. In actual gunfights, a significant number of folks actually discharge their firearm as soon as the trigger clears the holster due to the physiological effects of high stress. If that happens with your crossdraw, you'll most likely shoot yourself, or a bystander (or both). If it occurs with a strong side carry, at most you'll put a hole in a pair of pants and burn your butt cheek while the round goes into the dirt behind you.
    Every single shooting course I've attended has strongly emphasized strong side carry, as has every single instructor I've ever asked. With the rare exceptions of chauffers, dignitary protection folks, pilots and stake-out squads, this is the only position advocated by professional level trainers or operators. Please feel free to call us for a free phone consultation if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Gary, thanks for the input.

Here's some clarification of my situation...

I'm a retired Marine who's been handling firearms since I was 5. Bought a Ruger MK I when I was 16, spent many an afternoon of leisure with a brick of ammo. I also served as a reserve LEO for a couple of years and I presently shoot quite a bit of IPSC.

I've carried both in a duty status and in concealed mode quite a bit in my life.

Cranking off a round by accident during a draw is not one of my concerns. My 1991a1 has a very stiff trigger and I intend to leave it that way for safety and liability issues. I've been trained from early youth to keep my finger off of the trigger until my sights are on tgt and IPSC reinforces that a lot.

The reason for my preference is that I find drawing from the position you describe somewhat akward. Also, nothing says "I'm going for my gun" quite like the hand going back along the right side and the elbow going up and out to deploy your pistol. I'm more interested in "concealed draw" of my concealed weapon than I am in speed.

I have one of the "pager pal" holsters that I wear just left of center in front. I'm looking for another IWB method that will place the pistol higher and more accessible from the beltline.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I have a few comments that's just food for thought.

As to carrying a full size gun, I think it's more difficult (Uncomfortable), to carry it towards your front. It can be done, I've read of people able to carry them IWB, I'm not one of them.

I carry IWB, appendix carry, at 12:30. I've found it guick, comfortable, & I'm able to access it while sitting (With a slight movement of my hips). Personally, I haven't found cross-draw comfortable, at least IWB. I think that's because the barrel's pushing against the pant leg. When I carry it appendix, I cant the barrel slightly inward when I sit.

The advantages that I've found are that it's quicker, I can retain it easier (Both hands are stronger in front of the hips), & with practice, it can be drawn single handedly.

I currently carry a Taurus Mil Pro PT145 there. I have carried a Glock 26 & 36, which are longer. The 36 is about the size of probably the smallest 1911 types. As to holsters, I use a straight drop IWB. Personally, I have two of UBG holsters "Nassar's". They also happen to be tuckable, but that's really only practical for my Kahr PM9.

I hope that helps.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I agree with Gary. Hi Gary.
    Best,
    Jerry

I would listen to the advice of a holstermaker. I carry my Colt LWT Commander in an UGB IWB strongside. I can forget it's there.

Hi Jerry!

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    Gary, thanks for the input.

Here's some clarification of my situation...

I'm a retired Marine who's been handling firearms since I was 5. Bought a Ruger MK I when I was 16, spent many an afternoon of leisure with a brick of ammo. I also served as a reserve LEO for a couple of years and I presently shoot quite a bit of IPSC.

I've carried both in a duty status and in concealed mode quite a bit in my life.

Cranking off a round by accident during a draw is not one of my concerns. My 1991a1 has a very stiff trigger and I intend to leave it that way for safety and liability issues. I've been trained from early youth to keep my finger off of the trigger until my sights are on tgt and IPSC reinforces that a lot.

The reason for my preference is that I find drawing from the position you describe somewhat akward. Also, nothing says "I'm going for my gun" quite like the hand going back along the right side and the elbow going up and out to deploy your pistol. I'm more interested in "concealed draw" of my concealed weapon than I am in speed.

I have one of the "pager pal" holsters that I wear just left of center in front. I'm looking for another IWB method that will place the pistol higher and more accessible from the beltline.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Try a CrossBreed Adjustable Supertuck the most comfortable IWB I have ever had and completely adjustable for hight and cant.

www.crossbreedholsters.com
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. 2nd Amendment.

For Those Who FOUGHT For It FREEDOM Has a Flavor the Protected WILL NEVER KNOW.
    SEMPER FI!!

<<Am I Crazy Or Just Stupid? >>

Just stupid

Personally I've just never found IWB appendix carry comfortable, especially when seated. If you're main concern is carrying while driving the semi have you considered a shoulder holster system? They're not for everyone or every situation but when seated for long periods of time they can be just the ticket.

I carry a 5" Mil-Spec in Gary's MaxCon V and it's without a doubt the most comfortable holster I've ever owned. I've even fallen asleep on the couch while wearing it and his double magpouch (several times) ... and I prefer to think of my extra poundage as a "pork chop storage system." You never know when you might have to skip a meal so I choose to be prepared for that eventuality - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Jack

I have the same problem with the expanding waistline, and feel that anything carried in the front is uncomfortable. That's only my opinion. I personally carry an IWB at about 430 which is my strong side. Hopefully when I save enough pennies I can afford one of Gary's hoslters. Nice craftsmanship Gary!!!
    A violent crime happens every 23.1 seconds..... something to think about.

My understanding was that during the truck driving CCW was not going to be an issue - probably because he's going to Chicago.

I think crossdraw is great, but IWB sounds really uncomfortable - it would be hard to sit down (unless you wear your pants really high) with the full size gun pointing to the crease where your hip and leg meet. I'd suggest trying to find a good crossdraw OWB and just wear a big shirt. Or I have heard good things but have no personal experience with the (www.andrewsleather.com macdanielIIcrossdraw) which I believe meets your requirements. Semper Fidelis.

I've got "dunnlops" disease too, and I IWB carry a Sprinfield XD 4" .45acp crossdraw all day long at 10:00 without a problem.
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by chachy View Post
    I've got "dunnlops" disease too, and I IWB carry a Sprinfield XD 4" .45acp crossdraw all day long at 10:00 without a problem.
    Wow! I tried it a couple times with my J-frame and it drove me crazy, sitting was so uncomfortable I had to take the gun off.
    Jack

I think it depends a lot on where you put your trousers. Call me Steve Urkle but I like to have my pants up nice and high so I can lift my leg as high as I want without having to worry about ripping the crotch out of my trousers. All trousers are different though - I have some that look normal, and others (like carharts) that make me look like a little funny unless I cover up my high waist with an untucked shirt.

I don't have a gut at all - but I've seen guys that do and some wear their trousers below the gut, and some right over the top. I think if you wear them over the top it would be pretty easy to comfortable carry a full size gun IWB crossdraw or appendix carry.

Links